4th of July Outfit Ideas for People Who Actually Like Fashion
It’s safe to say Fourth of July is the main attraction of summer, and for good reason. Even if you’re not into annual hot-dog-eating contests per se, nothing says ‘murica like a lineup of backyard BBQs or a Taylor Swift-inspired Fourth of July bash at the beach house. Who are we kidding, though? We’ll take any excuse we can get to rock head-to-toe RWB all Independence Day weekend long. While we know it’s tempting to reach for flag-inspired stars and stripes, here’s our advice: DON’T. These 16 all-star Instababes show you how it’s done — not only do they manage to strike the perfect balance between Americana and cool girl, but their mad styling chops will have you seeing fireworks for days.
1. Festive Poms: Patriotic pom-pom sandals with festi-cool flair? We’re so down. The coordinating red and blue poms scream US of A.
2. RWB Getup: Oh hey there, cute sailor girl. *Wink.* Courtney Quinn’s incorporation of red (frilly top and steppers), white (a cute button-front mini FTW!), and cobalt blue, a la her top-handle satchel, would even have Uncle Sam’s approval.
3. Baywatch Red: Less saucy, more old-Hollywood glamour, Blair Eadie’s Baywatch red one-piece swimsuit is about to give us all a run for our money. The addition of retro sunnies, Breton stripes, and a floppy straw hat convey a certain level of insouciance that can’t be taught.
4. Matching Red Sunnies… Check: Oui, oui! As it turns out, French-girl stripes and matching red sunglasses are all it takes to set our hearts aflutter.
5. An Itty-Bitty White Bikini + Red Sunnies: Spotted: Ashley Madekwe rocking an itty-bitty white bikini alongside playful heart-shaped shades like the bombshell babe she is. Any takers?
6. Mixed Stripes: Jane Aldridge of Sea of Shoes offers up major slayage with her getup consisting of an off-the-shoulder red t-shirt and a mixed stripe asymmetric skirt. Her off-duty trainers are no-nonsense in the best possible way.
7. Fringe-tastic Earrings: Make an entrance like “whoa” with some cha-cha-ready tassel earrings that will take you from morning mimosas to fireworks on the boardwalk. Just add a cold-shoulder striped top (RWB, of course) and some high-waisted mom jeans for the full lewk.
8. Coordinate With Your Bestie: Twinning is #winning, especially when it comes to coordinating your Fourth of July #OOTD with your BFF. Sarah Vickers and Carly Heitlinger look photo booth-ready with their matching ensembles consisting of a chambray poplin blouse and a red one-shoulder top. Crisp white jeans (or a LWS) aren’t even up for debate.
9. A ‘murica-inspired Straw Hat: Hats off to you if you’ve already got your accessories game all sorted out. We 10/10 recommend this floppy straw hat with patriotic flair — if not to protect your peepers, then to beat the Texas heat.
10. Finish It Off With a Sash: What’s that, you say? Print mixing isn’t in your repertoire? Girlll, you better take style cues from It girl, Tamu McPherson. She gets the job done with a crimson striped button-down, a Moroccan print skirt, and a royal blue sash for good measure.
11. Rock a Red Power Suit Like a Boss:Werk it beyond the boardroom in a fierce red power suit that commands attention. Proceed to channel your inner lady in red — just like Louise Roe — with some mirrored aviators and nude pumps in tow.
12. Pared-Down Denim: Calling all lazy girls! Nobody — we mean no one — will be any the wiser if you decide to ditch the predictable stars and stripes at the last minute for a pared-down denim pinafore dress and red suede sandals.
13. Enter the LRD (Little Red Dress): Vacationing down in Santorini looks a little somethin’ somethin’ like this. Sashay into the holiday weekend with a cherry red OTS dress, a carefree straw boater hat, red ankle-tie sandals, and a kitschy camera bag for a double-tap-worthy look.
14. Just a Wee Bit Parisian: BRB, we’re living out our Parisian-girl dreams vicariously through Daphné Moreau of Mode and the City. Be it a fancy brunch on the veranda or fireworks from a yacht, take the classy route with an ivory blouse, a fit-and-flare skirt (this one has tennis rackets!), and a timeless trench.
15. Flouncy Layers FTW: Record-high temps = airy layers that keep you cool. You say man-repelling, we say taking care of business. This babe’s flouncy top and red tiered skirt — not to mention her eclectic sandals — are the definition of summer outfit #goals.
16. Gingham, Seersucker, Oh My: File this patriotic getup, consisting of Reese Witherspoon-inspired gingham pants and bow-tastic seersucker slides, under what to wear for a Fourth of July picnic. Y’all know celebratory sparklers will be in order come dusk.
What will you be wearing for the Fourth of July? Follow us on Pinterest for more summer styling tips!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.