16 Free Games to Download for a Long Flight (That Don’t Require WiFi)
Now that flights are cheaper than ever, we’re booking the international vacation of our dreams. With our travel docs printed and our celebrity-approved swimsuit and sunglasses pairings packed, the only thing left to do is get our in-flight travel accessories ready. Whether you are five or 55, a long-haul flight can be mega boring — especially if you don’t want to spring for in-flight WiFi. So before you take off, download these 16 free smartphone apps (either before you leave or when using the free airport wireless) to secure a fun flight to your dream locale.
1. Mr. Square: Don’t be fooled by the cutesy name; this puzzle game is actually challenging. The task is simple: Move Mr. Square around the grid to paint the floor red. Just don’t paint yourself into a corner!
2. Let’s Go Run Around: Remember all those times you wanted to throw your iPhone at a wall playing Flappy Bird? Well, there’s a new impossible jumping game in the App Store that’s definitely on par with, if not better than, our aerially challenged former companion. Just make sure you order an in-flight chamomile tea to calm down if you’re planning on playing this one for a while.
DL It: Free on iOS
3. Temple Run 2: Get more of the running, jumping, ducking, sliding, and (well, you get it) you love. In this second version of the Temple game, the goal remains the same: Can you outpace the cursed idol?
4. Sim City Build It: If the thought of leaving your Sims family during vacation fills you with anxiety, this new app is the perfect in-flight alternative. Although you won’t be able to connect with your virtual family back home, this mobile-friendly and offline version of the Sims allows you to build and grow a new community from 30,000 feet in the air.
5. Despicable Me: Minion Rush: Never go full Minion — unless you’re playing Minion Rush, that is. In this running-and- jumping-style game, our favorite yellow-headed nincompoops compete on awesome movie-inspired courses. And, obviously, they collect a lot of bananas.
6. Dumb Ways to Die 2: A sequel to the immensely popular first edition, Dumb Ways to Die 2 has everything you loved about the first version PLUS even more unforgettably challenged characters and sweet new mini-games. Win-win!
7. Card ▻ Games: If you love card games, you’re going to want to download this bad boy ASAP. Cover all the different versions of solitaire you grew up with in an experience that won’t take over your tray table.
DL It: Free on iOS
8. 94 Percent: Everything you love about Family Feud comes together in this awesome free app. Just type in the responses you think that the “audience” chose (don’t worry, you only have to guess 94 percent of the right answers), and host a battle of wits in the cabin.
9. WordTrek: Take a break from your summer read to test your vocab with this sensational and mega-addicting app. Simply find the correct word in the puzzle (there can sometimes be more than one, so be careful) and fly through the levels.
10. Hex Crush: This app is basically a colorful Tetris on steroids, and we’re already addicted. You can destroy horizontal lines, but any vertical or diagonal lines are fair game too. Let the strategizing begin!
11. Pop the Lock: Do you remember those old-school arcade games where you had to press a button exactly as the light flashed over the 100 mark to win tickets? Well in this version, you simply have to tap your phone every time the red light flashes over the yellow dot to pop the lock open and win the game. Oh, and did we mention that there’s a bazillion levels? Good luck, friends.
12. Neko Atsume: Cat enthusiasts will swoon for this adorable Tamagotchi-inspired free game. Simply place playthings and snacks in your yard and watch as all the kitties of the neighborhood stop by and visit. Purr-fect!
13. Candy Crush Soda Saga: Join Kimmy on her quest to find her bestie in this addicting Candy Crush adventure. With hundreds of sodalicious levels and new challenges to discover, there’s a reason why that one guy from high school has been inviting you to play it on Facebook for months.
14. Dots: If you’re a fan of simple, straightforward games, you’re going to be totally onboard with this one. The goal is to connect as many of the same-hued dots as you can in a minute. Call it easy now, but once you start playing, you’ll see there’s actually more to it than you’d think.
15. Crossy Road: You know the classic one-liner, “Why did the chicken cross the road?” Yeah, this arcade-style game is based on that. Brave the busy streets to get across the highway filled with obstacles. Each successful attempt features a new level until you officially become the road-crossing champ.
16. Fallout Shelter: This no-WiFi-required community game has the perfect formula for extended play. Select a vault for your community to escape to during the apocalypse, and do everything in your power to keep your dwellers safe and happy — from building the perfect hiding place to playing matchmaker with the survivors to repopulate your oasis.
How do you keep entertained on a long flight? Tell us @BritandCo.
This post was originally published on June 26, 2016.
(Featured photo via Getty)