For many of us, 2016 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2017! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
A new ‘do? For the new year? Groundbreaking. It’s not uncommon to want to change things up a bit once January rolls around. Besides a revamped makeup routine consisting of old and new cult favorites (Glossier’s boy brow, we’re looking at you), you’d be ah-mazed at what freshly trimmed tresses can do to reinvent your look. ‘Cause the same old sleek cut and predictable middle part you’ve had since middle school has run its course, amirite? Maybe you’re still trying to figure out the difference between ombre and balayage (hey, we’re in the same boat), or perhaps you’ve already started experimenting with cuts and colors you can pull off — either way, we’ve got you covered with 18 Instababe-approved looks to try in 2017. Remember, change can be a good thing, especially when it concerns something as monumental as your hair.
1. Full Curls: Slay, girl, slay! Why not embrace your naturally full curls to maximum impact? There’s no time like RN to ditch the flat iron (and stick-straight hair) for a luscious head of curls. Even better if you do like this blogger and channel an ‘80s-inspired look.
2. Punk(ish): You heard it first: Punk hair officially needs to be on your radar. Make it a point to fulfill your style resolutions by taking it there with this edgy high-precision cut that flaunts a half-‘n’-half design consisting of mesmerizing turquoise, blue and green hues. The baby bangs and cropped length are obvs our favorite part. *Proceeds to reach for a pair of Doc Martens and a nose ring as we speak.*
3. Fresh Fade: So fresh and so fly: This Instababe’s cut is giving us LIFE. For a dramatic new look that means business, ask your hairstylist for a fresh fade. Besides the fact it’s as low maintenance as it gets (hello, out-the-door-in-zero-seconds-flat hair), it’ll make you look (and feel) like a HBIC. A revamped Instababe-approved wardrobe will be in order to elevate your style to new sartorial heights.
4. Boss Babe ‘Do: Enter the “unofficial” boss babe ‘do that will undoubtedly be trending in the new year. Just you wait. Usher in the sense of the new with a “short hair, don’t care” mentality that reads nasty-woman-in-training. But for real, this wavy bob with bangs will have everyone remarking, “…but I WANT her hair.”
5. Beach Waves Braid: While beach waves during the dead of winter may not fly, a deconstructed summer-inspired braid will serve as a welcome reminder that warm weather does exist. Better yet, use this knotted runway-ready ‘do as an excuse to book a getaway to Cancun STAT. Get the look at home by using a sea salt spray to create textured undone waves that can be pulled back into a messy fishtail braid like that.
6. Go Gray: Nope, you haven’t reached your prime yet — gray hair is just suddenly en vogue. Before you try outlandish Phoenix hair (not for the overly modest, that’s for sure!), a subtle gray will appear both sophisticated and surprisingly youthful. Pair it alongside a sweet Lauren Conrad-inspired side braid and a shortened ‘do (think: a fresh lob or face-framing layers) for a cutting-edge look that will set the tone for 2017.
7. Bun in the Front, Braids in the Back: We’re digging this hybrid ballerina-inspired ‘do that’s all bun in the front and braids in the back. Equal parts elegant and black-tie official, it’ll give your signature top knot a run for its money and make you want to reach for your signature pointe shoes. 2017 brides-to-be, we think we’ve found your match. Major swoon.
8. Wet ‘n’ Wild ’90s: It looks like you just got out of the shower, but you’re *actually* intentionally rocking the sopping wet look popularized by the likes of Kim Kardashian, Shay Mitchell and Jenna Dewan-Tatum. Day or night (but especially a wild GNO), this angsty look is made for ‘90s babes. AKA, a vampy red pout and sultry bodysuit will be in order.
9. Fringe Bangs: Haven’t you heard? Blunt bangs are back, and better than ever. Spotted at London Fashion Week, this babe’s alternative fringe cut has us seeking a rocker-inspired makeover — complete with a leather moto jacket, an edgy ear cuff and a fierce cat eye, natch — just in time to combat a case of the January doldrums. Sign us up, please.
10. Lob + Flat Waves: Double-tap-worthy in its own right, this ceaselessly chic lob featuring flat waves is practically a no-brainer. It’s lightweight, effortless and cool girl-approved. Does it not make you want to whip your hair back and forth for full effect?
11. Short + Blunt: For a look that screams easy like Sunday morning with athleisure undertones, look no further than this short and carefree cut that will make you want to adopt a laid-back ‘tude. Easy to maintain and versatile enough for everyday wear, it’s designed for ladies who aspire to do less. Although, don’t be mistaken — there’s nothing blasé about this dynamic cut that’s speakin’ to our high-fashion sensibilities.
12. Violet Fade: We’re all about sporting the new look of the season, which consequently happens to be violet hair. This subtle purple fade featuring hints of gray looks best teamed with super straight shoulder-length styles for a head-turning look that will never fall flat.
13. Green Hair, Don’t Care: When life imitates Pantone’s Color of the Year, you pull out all the stops by dying your hair freaking green. ‘Cause why not?! Don’t let the FOMO set in before giving this bold mermaid ‘do a try — we’re already getting major color envy.
14. Sleek Low Pony: Ready or not, sleek and low ponytails with runway appeal are about to dominate your Insta feed. Girls with naturally straight locks, you’ve got it made. Simply gather your hair into a low pony and cinch it with a clear elastic band (wrap a wisp of hair around the pony base if you want to get fancy) for a getup that requires zero effort. Seriously, nada! You’ll be fête-ready with time to spare.
15. The ‘70s Blow Out: Boho babes, get excited! All things ‘70s continue to reign supreme as blunt bangs, smokey eyes and perfectly touchable and smooth tresses become your new reality. Can you say catwalk to Coachella? Surely, the flea market flares and platform clogs won’t be too far behind.
16. Red/Burgundy Hair: Not quite red, not quite burgundy — maybe even with a hint of purple? — this unabashedly cool ‘do is the bee’s knees, you guys. Seriously, we think we could get used to parading around with hair that stops random passersby in their tracks. “But you have purple hair!!” says everyone on the block.
17. More Is More: Why do less when you can opt for MORE? And by more, we mean a yellow mane that’s straight-up flawless. This eccentric Lady Gaga-inspired cut and color will have you dreaming up an opportunity to try something a little (or a LOT) outside your comfort zone. Team with clear acetate frames and a bold red pout for a year of shameless selfies. We don’t hate it.
18. Rainbow Yarn Braids: Oh. Em. GEE. You had us at rainbow braids. 2017 is the year when anything/everything goes, starting with your #HOTD (which could change by the month, BTW!). Keep ‘em on their toes with this Nicki Minaj-esque look that calls for an electric pink pout and no shortage of sass.
What hairstyle are you dying to test-drive in the New Year? Follow us on Pinterest for more hair inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.