Why Hemp Seed Oil Is the Must-Have Skincare Ingredient This Winter
We’re always on the hunt for the latest buzzy ingredient to add to our skincare routines. Hemp seed oil, which is popping up in serums, lip balms, facial oils, and more, has caught our attention. Even though it’s derived and extracted from cannabis seeds, the ingredient is not psychoactive. In place of hallucinations, you’ll find an array of complexion-boosting benefits. “Hemp seed oil contains fatty acids that help form a barrier on the skin’s surface to lock in moisture,” says celebrity aesthetician Kelly Viavattine, who works with Olivia Culpo and Ruby Rose. Despite the heavy dose of hydration, the vitamin and antioxidant-rich oil won’t clog pores, making it ideal for all skin types. “It contains vitamins A, B, C, D, and E, and they all have functions in skin health and new cell growth,” says board-certified dermatologist Jeanette Jacknin. (Photo via Krafla/ Getty)
Keep reading for six hemp seed oil skincare products to take you through all the steps of your regimen.
1.Hempme Certified Organic Face Cleanser ($26): This Australian organic cleanser is made with a powerhouse blend of natural ingredients, including hemp seed oil, aloe vera, pink clay, and pomegranate extract, that leave skin soft and supple.
2. Herbivore Botanicals Emerald Deep Moisture Glow Oil ($48): Go straight to the source with this serum that boasts high concentrations of hemp seed oil, as well as squalane, ashwagandha root, shiitake mushroom, and vitamin E.
3. Kate Somerville Deep Tissue Repair Cream ($150): This deeply hydrating hemp seed- and babassu oil-infused face cream tackles common skin concerns such as skin texture, tone, fine lines, and wrinkles.
4. CannaSmack Plain Mary Jane Vegan Hemp Lip Balm ($4): Available in a handful of fruity flavors, this vegan, all-natural lip balm boasts a hemp oil formula that soothes and hydrates chapped lips.
5. Josie Maran Skin Dope Organic Glow Oil ($65): This half and half blend of pure, cold-pressed organic argan oil and hemp seed oil quickly sinks into skin to enhance strength and elasticity while deeply hydrating skin.
6. Cannabliss Organic Hemp Salve ($55): Rub this melting balm into sore spots and dry patches to instantly relieve aches, pains, and rough, dehydrated skin. It contains healing herbs like ginseng, goji berry, and mulberry, along with shea butter, almond oil, cocoa butter and, of course, hemp seed oil.
Have you tried hemp seed oil yet?Tell us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.