What’s a Housiversary and How Should You Celebrate?
The Internet has given us a lot of new holidays to celebrate: Siblings Day, National Donut Day, and the adorable National Puppy Day have all become unmissable additions to our work calendars. But there’s another trendy day joining the ranks, too, and it’s a bit more personal: the housiversary. For the homeowners among us, a housiversary is (as you might’ve guessed) the anniversary of the day you moved into or bought your home. And, yes, there are presents involved.
Laura Jennings, CEO of Knack (a company that knows a thing or two about gifting), is all about bringing the trend home. She advises that you use what you know about the home itself to make your present hit the mark. “For example, if what especially appealed to the new homeowner was the beautiful yard, then outdoor gifts like grilling sets, yard games, or birdhouses might be perfect for them,” Jennings tells Brit + Co. “But if she loved her new condo because the spacious kitchen was great for entertaining, then a bar or housewares gift might be just the ticket.”
Looking to celebrate your own housiversary soon? Or gift something special to your bestie? Here are some great gifting ideas to get the ball rolling.
1. Knack Golden Touch Cocktail Gift Set ($120): The girl who couldn’t get enough of her new home’s bar setup is sure to love this gleaming gold cocktail set, which includes leather coasters in a variety of metallics that feel mid-century and mod. The best housiversary gifts are little extras that “people don’t always buy for themselves,” Jennings tells us.
2. Otherland Spring Collection Candle Set ($89): Sure, candles are a classic housewarming gift, but these design-minded sets from hip company Otherland are sure to re-ignite (get it?) your passion for your home.
3. Graf Lantz Monstera Felt Trivet ($34): Celebrating your housiversary with a dinner party? (You should.) These delightful natural felt trivets are ultra-Instagrammable and help you serve in style. Just make sure your dinner guests don’t “accidentally” take one home.
4. Tanner Goods Mazama Negroni Carafe ($95): If your housiversary falls during Negroni season, you’re in luck. Mazama’s appealing hand-blown carafes now come in the color of the same name.
5. Knack We Adore S’mores Gift Set ($50): Was it love at first sight when your bestie saw that firepit in the backyard? Then it stands to reason that a night of s’mores is the ideal housiversary gift for your outdoorsy friend. “It doesn’t need to be a big gift, because any unexpected gift goes a really long way,” explains Jennings.
How will you be celebrating your housiversary? Tell us over @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.