How to Keep a Dream Journal (and Why You Should Start)
Recording your dreams could lead to your next big creative breakthrough. Need proof? Google, the Twilight book series, the song “Yesterday” — all great ideas that came from dreams. “The dreaming brain is an amazingly creative machine,” dream expert Lauri Loewenberg tells us. “Many researchers have been able to connect creativity to dreaming because both of these brain processes use free association.” Loewenberg is the author of Dream on It: Unlock Your Dreams, Change Your Life and has been helping people decode their dreams for decades. According to Loewenberg, documenting the “other side of your mind” could be the best thing you do for yourself. You’ll quickly start noticing connections between your dream imagery and your daily struggles and achievements. Here are some tips on how to get started.
1. Stay Still After You Wake Up: Keep your journal right next to your bed! Rolling over and getting out of bed obliterates your dream recall. Remain in the exact position you woke up in, because that is the position your body was in when you were dreaming. If you move, you’ll unplug yourself from the memory of the dream. “It’s kind of like when you lose your keys,” says Loewenberg. “You go into the last room you remember having them to help jog your memory.”
2. Set Aside Time to Reflect: Stay quiet and still for 3 – 5 minutes to recall your dream before writing it down. A computer journal is okay, but Loewenberg prefers the physical act of writing it into a journal. Jotting it down by hand will be more conducive to getting the mind back into the dream state.
3. Don’t Forget the Details: Be sure to title and date your dream. This allows for easy reference when looking back for something in particular you dreamed about. Like a movie, it can often provide a clue as to what the dream may be trying to tell you. Ask yourself if the title you gave the dream sounds somewhat similar to anything going on in your life. You’ll be surprised how often it will!
4. Note Your Emotions: How a dream made you feel can be just as important as the actual images, says Loewenberg. “When you note your actual thoughts, you will find that more often than not, they will coincide with your previous day.”
5. Keep a Daily Journal Side by Side: Loewenberg recommends writing your day on the left page of your journal and your dream on the right page. “Keeping details of your waking and dreaming life side by side will make it easier to connect the dots.”
What was your craziest dream? Share your wildest ones in the comments below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)