8 Must-Read Tips for Picking Your Best Updo Ever
No matter what the occasion, we’ve usually got a clear vision of how we want our mane to look. But all it takes is one disastrous hair appointment — maybe it’s a too-slicked-back updo or a rat’s nest of curls — to turn you off from getting your hair professionally done. But it doesn’t have to be that way! Shaking it on the dance floor all night is way cooler when you’re confident with a hairstyle that looks good all night long. That’s why we’re sharing eight questions to ask yourself before a stylist goes to town on your tresses. Ask away, and then grab a glass of some bubbly and enjoy the process!
1. What’s the style you’re going for? From romantic to bohemian and messy, figure out what you want your look to be. If you’re in the bridal party, make sure you’re taking into account any requests from the bride. Even if you’re not able to decide every detail of your ‘do, you can still play with the tightness of your hair, the part and whether you want your ears fully exposed. (Photo via Henry S. Dziekan III/Getty)
2. Will your hair cooperate with the weather? Some people have that amazing hair that can stay perfectly curled, no matter what. If that’s you, we’re totally jealous. For the rest of us, it’s important to take the weather into consideration. If you’re going to a hot summer wedding, curls might be a tough choice to maintain with fine hair. Talk over options with your stylist to come up with a ‘do that’ll have you looking put together, no matter how hot (or cold!) it gets. (Photo via Brian Ach/Getty)
3. What’s the neckline of your dress? This question is probably the most important. If you’re wearing a one-shoulder dress, try to keep the hair on your bare shoulder. Of course, there are always exceptions, like when your part doesn’t flow nicely. In this case, you can always wear your hair half up. This is also your go-to style for any dress with straps on or around your neck. With a strapless dress, you can go for half-up or all down, or go bold and tie all your hair up. (Photo via Ian Gavan/Getty)
4. Got any bling? If you’re wearing a bold statement necklace, sweep the hair up and show off that bling! Plus, no one wants tangled hair. (Photo via Vittorio Zunino Celotto/ Getty)
5. Is your heart set on a part? Whether you wear your part where it naturally falls or extremely side parted, share that info with your stylist. Take a little control and show your stylist exactly how you like it in the front. At the end of the day, it’s your happiness that stylists care about! (Photo via Jason Kempin/Getty)
6. What’s your curl game? Are you looking for actual curls twisted back to create the volume, or just lift from teasing? There’s a major difference between curls and curl texture — in this instance, Julianne Hough is rocking the curl texture. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
7. Do you want alow or high updo? Work with your stylist to determine where exactly you want your updo to hit. The sweet spot is right under the occipital bone, aka the bump on the back of your head. Placing your ‘do here helps create a little more volume and makes the flow look better. (Photo via Jason Kempin/Getty)
8. Do you want your updo placed on the side or the middle?: Pushing your updo to the side can be really fun and flirty, especially if there are braids involved. If you like symmetry, keep your ‘do in the back, so your sides can match. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
How are you wearing your hair for the next event you attend? Let us know in the comments below!