How to Rock Reese Witherspoon’s Favorite Preppy Pattern This Summer
Reese Witherspoon has been having a really fun summer so far. She’s spending loads of time with her beautiful family, running an unofficial book club we’re officially subscribing to and setting trends like a boss from her crazy cute Instagram feed. We’re already loving the way she’s pairing dresses with sneakers, and her latest look is preppy perfection.
True to her roots (and her Draper James brand), Reese is also having the preppiest of all summers… and it’s cute AF. Case in point: She’s been rocking a ton of gingham. The pattern originated in Europe long ago, but has become a total symbol of prepster Americana. If you’re looking to put a little prep in your step, try incorporating one of these pieces into your summer repertoire.
1. J.Crew Gingham Cotton Short ($60): Shorts are an easy-breezy no-brainer for the hottest months of the year, but cool down in style with these gingham shorts. They’re really cute styled simply the way they are here, but you could also try mixing prints like a prep pro and go with a stripe on top.
2. LOFT Gingham Drop-Waist Dress ($60): This dress just begs to be worn on a weekend morning to get through the hot day — it’ll take you from the grocery store to an afternoon BBQ without you having to even think about your wardrobe.
3. Lulus Gingham Button Up ($49): Here’s one you can work into your office rotation just as easily as your weekend one. Try pairing it with navy blue slim pants or a white pencil skirt at work, and save your cut-offs or white jeans for after hours.
4. Little White Lies Off-the-Shoulder Dress ($129): This one is going in the cart immediately — it combines several summer trends, such as off-the-shoulder, gingham and bows, but manages to be super quiet about it. Somehow the entire package works, and will get a ton of wear if you choose to bring it home to your closet.
5. Solid and Striped Poppy Gingham One-Piece ($158): Even if you’re just laying out in your backyard, a preppy one-piece like this deceptively simple silhouette from cult celebrity favorite Solid and Striped will make you think you’re on Cape Cod.
6. Franco Sarto Gingham “Lariza” Espadrille Flatform ($89): Go for the gingham in a shoe instead — it’s the perfect trendy piece to jazz up a black cotton dress or a pair of white jeans and a tee.
Have you mastered this pattern? Show us your best look on Instagram with #iamcreative!
(Feature image via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty)
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.