Dakota Fanning has always been a quietly elegant and fashion-forward celebrity — she favors designers like Rodarte and Christian Dior for their innovation, and usually steps out in things that are creative and bold in an alternative way. (Her sister Elle is a budding fashion icon as well!) But sometimes, a girl just has to have fun and go all out with her look.
Dakota Fanning’s gown at the Venice Film Festival was every gal’s mermaid fantasy come true — including Dakota’s. In fact, on the photo she posted of the look, she wrote “#nevertakingthisoff!” This particular dress is from Italian brand Miu Miu, and we absolutely love it. The mermaid style has been a sleeper hit trend for a while now, and you can usually find items by searching for “iridescent” or “holographic.” However, we’ve done some of the work for you — here are some of our fave mermaid-inspired pieces.
1. Ray Ban Sunglasses ($225): If you’re not too sure about this trend, start small, like with these too-cool-for-school sunglasses. The shape and the lenses make them super interesting — a total conversation starter!
2. ASOS Cami Top ($42): This top is truly special, and would look great for a birthday celebration or anniversary. Or, go simple and pair it with boyfriend jeans and sneakers for a super cool weekend look.
3. Urban Outfitters Hologram Nail Polish ($10): Just a little touch of iridescence on your nails will keep you feeling mermaid vibes all week.
4. Komono Estelle Watch ($90): Try adding this watch to your jewelry collection — trust us; it’ll be hard to not keep twisting your wrist to let it catch the light.
5. Skinnydip Cosmo Shoulder Bag ($49): Whether it’s your daytime tote or your gym bag, this bag makes a statement in the best possible way — and the price is nice too!
6. Converse Chuck Taylor All-Star Sneaker ($60): Even casual gals can get in on the trend with these Chuck Taylor All-Stars in a purple iridescent hue. Wear them in winter with black tights and dresses for a surprising look.
7. Jeffrey Campbell Beaton Heels ($110): Calling all ‘90s girls: This pair is for you. They’re glittery slides with a low-stacked heel. Does it really get more ‘90s than that?
8. Skinnydip Cross Body Bag ($52): This *might* be the perfect going-out bag. Bye bye, boring black clutch, hello gorgeous!
9. Topshop MOTO Sequin Hayden Jeans ($115): You’ve embraced the trend and are ready for the next level. Well, here it is! Keep it simple with a tank or tee and really basic accessories, such as sneakers or pumps and a plain bag.
10. Loren Hope Crystal Drop Earrings ($78): Preppy gals can get involved too — try these earrings with a simple black or white dress to turn the dial up on a cocktail dress.
Have you tried this daring look? Share it on Instagram with #iamcreative!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Featured photo via Pascal Le Segretain / Getty)