How to Wear 6 of Fall’s Biggest Trends at Work
What you see on the runway doesn’t always translate to real life, particularly in terms of your nine-to-five. But trends can be tweaked to fit almost any situation — be it your best friend’s b-day bash or a big-time meeting. That’s the beauty of fashion — it’s all about reinvention. Since the majority of your time is likely spent doing the girlboss thing, knowing how to give fall’s biggest trends the working-girl treatment (AKA keep it real without attracting the attention of HR) is a major bonus. Here, we’re sharing 18 easy outfit ideas to inject your everyday with a hint of catwalk cool.
Step aside, millennial pink; power red is on the prowl for fall, as seen in this Victoria Beckham look. And if Fendi, Giambattista Valli, Givenchy, and Jil Sander are in, so are we! (Photo via Randy Brooke/WireImage)
1. Miss Selfridge Red Ruched Sleeve Blazer ($76): This fiery number is guaranteed to get you excited to suit up. Sure, it might not score you that bonus, but it’ll certainly boost your sartorial rep.
2. Sam Edelman Kinzey Patent-Leather Ankle Boots ($150): Paired with pinstriped suits or a sleek sweater dress, these sizzlin’ steppers will get you through the work week in style.
3. Madewell Medium Transport Leather Bucket Bag ($168): Every busy girl knows that a reliable tote is an indispensable on-the-job essential. Skip the standard black and brown options this season and embrace your inner HBIC with a powerful shade of red instead.
Check It Out
Say sayonara to the ’90s. This season’s plaid prints are laced with sophistication and ’70s panache — just ask Tory Burch (above), Stella McCartney, and Tome. (Photo via Catwalking/Getty)
4. PixieMarket Plaid Long Blazer Coat ($284): It strays on the splurgey side, but this knee-grazing check-print coat is the key to combatting brisk morning commutes like a bona fide street-style star. Patent loafers and go-get-’em attitude, unfortunately, not included.
5. Mango Check Pants ($80): Turtlenecks, Victorian collar blouses, and classic tees — these high-waisted trousers will go with practically everything in your wardrobe. Strike the right balance of uptown polish and downtown cool with fresh white sneakers, a sleek blazer, and a graphic tee.
6. Topshop Check Shirt Dress ($180): Any piece that can take the pressure off a Monday morning is okay in our book, and this throw-on-and-go number most definitely delivers. Team with block-heel mules and asymmetric earrings for an effortless look that exudes corner-office elegance.
Velvet is back and better than ever. And this time, nothing is off limits. We’re crushing on all the rich jewel-tone hues the sumptuous fabric comes in for fall, like this topaz-colored evening gown by Erdem. (Photo via Estrop/Getty)
7. Zara Long Silk Velvet Kimono ($199): YAS. If there’s only enough room in your budget for one seriously stellar new-season buy, make it this beauty right here. Belted over maxi dresses or draped on top of smartly tailored trousers, it’ll instantly transform your most-loved pieces into OOTD gold.
8. & Other Stories Climbing Flower Velvet Trousers ($115): Introducing, the velvet trousers of our dreams. No really — the bold garnet hue and luxe fabric are straight-up game-changing as far as your office style is concerned.
9. NA-KD Plunge Kitten Heel ($48): Put those commuter shoes down! A short-and-sweet kitten heel, edgy plunge silhouette, and dramatic black velvet will give your everyday en-route flats a run for their money. The best part? No at-the-office costume change necessary.
You fancy, huh? All signs point to fall being seriously sleek, with quicksilver wardrobe essentials reigning supreme. The proof? These metallic trousers from Proenza Schouler. (Photo via HP Yim/Getty)
10. Free People Stars in Her Eyes Anklet ($36): Perk up a pair of snoozy kicks or keep a favorite pair of platform sandals in rotation late into fall with a chic pair of celestial socks. One word: dreamy.
11. Elevenses Glistened Knit Wide-Legs ($118): Between the relaxed silhouette and high-shine finish, these silver bottoms leave little to be desired. Our only regret? That we didn’t spot them sooner!
12. Nine West Urazza Bootie ($99): ICYMI: Shiny, shimmery boots took the runway by storm for FW’17. High-octane sequins might not fly when you’re on the clock, but best believe these pared-down metallic booties will snag HR’s seal of approval when styled alongside tweed trousers and a sophisticated blouse.
Fishnet socks were a fave trend of fashionable London femmes last year, and the edgy accessory is back again for FW’17. Phillip Lim (above) and Cinq a Sept took the trend to new heights, styling them as a base layer and alongside prim-and-proper blazers. (Photo via Victor Virgile/Gamma-Rapho/Getty)
13. Weekday Mesh Fishnet Top ($40): While it seems seriously risqué, pulling off a fishnet top at the office couldn’t be easier. Slip it under a crewneck sweater or a floral blouse for a modern edge.
14. Express Fishnet Full Tights ($20): Who says boardroom dressing has to be boring? Tucked under a calf-length skirt, fishnet tights will add a dash of sass to your work week.
15. Nordstrom Fishnet Ankle Socks ($9): Strict office dress code? We’re willing to bet these subtle socks will fly under the radar sans problem.
Design houses, including Coach, paid tribute to folksy florals, quilting, and free-spirited fringe. (Photo via Catwalking/Getty)
16. Eri + Ali Abella Embroidered Blouse ($98): For those days when you wish you’re frolicking through fields of gold instead of pushing papers, pieces that can lighten your spirits are so key. Pop on this boho blouse with oversized earrings and matte lipstick, then watch as the mid-week blahs roll away.
17. ASOS Cianna Suede Slouch Cone Heel Boots ($127): Slouchy boots are a sure thing this season. The laid-back look is best accompanied by a midi skirt and sweater to keep things feeling fuss-free, yet polished.
18. Banana Republic x Olivia Palermo Paisley Tie-Neck Dress ($248): One of fall’s most essential outfit formulas? A maxi dress and a killer pair of boots. Just add an oversized cincher (another big-time fall trend) and bold baubles FTW.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.