30 New Things Your Next iPhone Will Be Able to Do
[Update 9/17: iOS 8 is available to download… NOW! You might not have an iPhone 6 at your disposal, but you can still give your phone a serious upgrade with Apple’s latest, greatest operating system. Below is a look at what to expect. Woo!]
1. Interactive notifications: You’ll be able to really multi-task now thanks to interactive notifications that let you respond to texts, calendar invites and reminders straight from the drop down banners. Cross things off your to do list, text your friends, RSVP to a Facebook event and star an email all without leaving the app you’re in.
2. Name group texts: The group message will never be the same. Every time you’re in one in iOS 8, you can tap Details in the top right to name a conversation if you want to dig it up later.
3. Leave group texts: Done with this group message? Leave it! Or delete someone else. Add and remove threads from your inbox/life.
4. Apply Do Not Disturb to group texts: Never again be in an important meeting with your phone buzzing every few seconds with friends trying to plan the upcoming weekend.
5. Send self-destructing selfies: You can send video and photo messages to friends that will disappear later so they don’t take up space.
6. Send voice memos: Using the new “Tap to Talk” feature you can send audio messages to friends who can simply hold the iPhone to their ear (like they’re making a call!) to listen to them.
7. Spy on your friends: You’ll have the option of disclosing your location to people you’re iMessaging with in the next iOS update to ultimately answer the question “where are you?” if you so choose.
8. Read your texts on your computer: Apple is making it easier to sync up all the devices in your digital life, including reading SMS on your computer and placing calls on your Mac, which you can then use as a speakerphone.
9. View convos like blogs: Tap to browse photos and videos in a thread and see everything you’ve sent back and forth in each conversation.
10. Share files across all devices: With iCloud Drive, you’ll be able to to store and access any kind of file across different devices. Start writing an email or tweaking a presentation when you’re on the train, then send it to your computer for the finishing touches.
11. Enhanced double tap: When you press the home button twice, you’ll be able to call, text or FaceTime people you’ve recently talked to from the top scroll and access your Favorites if you swipe to the right.
12. A Spotlight that really gets you: Enhanced Spotlight seems like an NBD update, but it means more information with each search and might lead to less bouncing around between apps.
13. Reach Inbox Zero in less time: The new mail features promise to save you some time. Straight from your inbox, you can now swipe to mark an email as read or flag it for follow-up similar to inbox clutter busters like Mailbox.
14. Go between messages: Bring multi-tasking to Mail with the ability to swipe down while you’re working on an email to search through your inbox for another one.
15. Get instant notifications: Mail will recognize reservations, flight confirmations and contact info and see if you want to add them to your calendar or contacts.
16. Updated parental controls: Now that family members share devices and iTunes accounts, parents have even more to oversee — like purchases. When your kiddies go to buy a new iPad game, an add-on to their favorite app or want to rent Frozen AGAIN the parents’ device will get to automatically approve or deny the purchase.
17. Have (more) fun with the family: With Family Sharing, up to six family members can share purchases from the iTunes store (that’s music, apps, movies and more) across all of your devices — talk about a sweet family plan.
18. Make family photo albums: Some of you might already be using iOS 7’s similar function to share pix with fam and friends, but now Family Sharing will automatically set up a family photo stream for you to add vacation and bday memories to show up on all of your devices.
19. Share a family calendar: Once you’re all linked, the chalkboard paint calendar in the kitchen finally has an easy-to-access digital home. Keep everyone super organized with one calendar and set up reminders for everyone with important events.
20. Better-than-ever AutoCorrect: Your keyboard gets a whole new IQ enhancement in the predictive department. It takes things a step farther and instead of assuming the word *it* might use, it will pick up on how you talk to each contact to get a better sense of the word *you* might use.
21. Text suggestions: If someone texts you“want to go to dinner or a movie?” the keyboard will recognize that and offer you the option of clicking “dinner” or “movie” to respond.
22. A better Photos app: With Instagram trying to lure you away from your phone’s native digital camera app, Apple is upping their game with more smart editing controls to edit pix closer-to-Photoshop levels.
23. A huge photo library: Find and flip through every picture across all of your devices. New suggested search will even give you options of things to dig up based on favorites, different time periods and your location.
24. Make Time-lapse videos: Get ready for a cloud selfie or two hundred — the next update will introduce a whole new camera mode for taking time-lapse videos!
25. A home for all your health: The new Health app will be a one-stop profile for your physical activity and health, pulling in data from any apps and wearables, then communicating the info to whoever needs it (think: other apps, your trainer and even your doctor).
26. Track your stats: Organize and manage what you’re tracking just like you would in a digital notification center — except here we’re talking about fitness, lab results, sleep, nutrition or vitals.
27. Another emergency option on lock: Create an emergency card with your ID and important info (like blood type and allergies) that can be accessed from your Lock screen.
28. Direct line to your doctor: HealthKit is a new developer tool that will allow health and fitness apps to access your health data and even communicate your stats straight to and from your doctors. Mayo Clinic is the first healthcare provider to join.
29. Test apps: New program dubbed TestFlight will allow developers to invite users to beta test their apps. Get in on that.
30. Preview apps: Developers will be able to show off more of their apps’ experience with video previews in the App Store that give users a test drive before they buy.
What Apple news are you still holding out for? Which of the above features are you most excited about seeing on your future phone?
Getting the word out about your brand takes time, drive, and ingenuity. And it doesn't come easy for many entrepreneurs. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're chatting with Selfmade alum Taylor Morgan McPherson, founder of Sustainable Sparkle Bar, about ways in which she scored press as a solo startup brand and what she learned from Selfmade to take her brand marketing up a notch.
B + C: How did you know Sustainable Sparkle Bar was your business to start?
Glitter has always been my thing, so when I started my event company I decided to make it my niche. I started telling people I threw glitter-themed parties where people would get sparkled with glitter body art and makeup. Six months after that I applied to my first festival and to work with SUR restaurant in West Hollywood.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
I honestly can't say that I've had a specific strategy that I've followed when it comes to getting my business off the ground. I have a PR background so I was just constantly pitching new business and posting on social media.
B + C: What's the biggest challenge you face as a small business owner?
I would say creating a stable income and revenue stream. With a seasonal, event-based business it can be very up and down.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
The relationships I made and the push to start an email database.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I love what I do and I believe in myself 100%. Staying motivated isn't the hard part. Pushing myself to do the work and staying accountable is the hard part.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip? Do you use any apps that help you manage your business?
I keep multiple to-do lists, hand-written and digital. I also tell clients and partners that I will have something to them by a certain time or day so I have to stick to it.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Just do it, take the leap. And don't worry about what anyone else says to thinks.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Issa Rae, I'm so inspired by everything that she's created being a creative and a black woman. It's my dream to have my own show one day based on my life and where I give advice and talk about the world. She's doing it and making people laugh and giving people joy. And it's based in LA. Watching Insecure only further cemented my dreams of wanting to live in LA.
B + C: How did you hear about the Office Depot scholarship?
One of my friends that I met through Camp No Counselors saw an IG ad for it and nominated me.
B + C: What has receiving the scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start/grow your business?
It's completely helped me level up and take my business to another level. Selfmade helped me host my first virtual event and taught me how to set up my website to sell tickets to events and get RSVPs.
B + C: How have Office Depot services or products helped you accomplish more in your business?
I got new cards to send in all of my orders with my discount code on them. I also bought a really cool 4K camera that I now use for my social media.
Let Office Depot OfficeMax help you stand out in the crowd. From signs, posters & banners to promote your business, to marketing materials to keep your customers informed, Office Depot OfficeMax offers a full suite of business services & solutions to help you & your business get noticed.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.