22 Fab Jackets and Coats to Cozy Up in This Fall
As much as we love layer-free living, there’s just something about snuggly sweaters and scarves that has us like OMG. There’s still a little time before the cool weather permanently settles in, but it’s never too early to start beefing up that back-to-school capsule wardrobe with a few Insta-worthy fall jackets and coats that will carry you through winter in true It-girl fashion. Both functional and RN-ready, these seasonally appropriate toppers will put you far ahead of the sartorial curve. Whether you’re a denim jacket-loving grunge goddess or an #OOTD enthusiast with a penchant for statement outerwear, rest assured that there’s a chic fall jacket out there for you. Scroll down for 22 jackets and coats that will instantly up the ante on your fall wardrobe.
1. Mango Zipped Biker Jacket ($80): On Wednesdays, we wear pink… leather jackets. Swap out your go-to for this pastel take on a traditional biker jacket, then proceed to pair with a glitzy ear cuff and high-waisted jeans for a look that reads girl-next-door gone bad.
2. Zara Short Water Repellent Trench Coat ($70): Don’t let gusty winds and gray skies get you down. Toss this water repellant trench over cropped trousers and pointed-toe boots for a rainy day look that doesn’t mess around. Sure, it won’t do much for frizzy tresses, but it will certainly keep the rest of your ensemble #onfleek.
3. Heirloom Smokey Quartz Coat ($298): You might not be able to wear your pjs outside of the house (or can you?), but this snuggly option is the next best thing. Paired with silk joggers, sleek loafers and a printed mock-neck top, it’s the only thing standing between you and the ultimate lazy girl-approved ensemble.
4. Madewell x Daryl K Reseda Suede Fringe Jacket ($498): Calling all self-proclaimed cool girls: This fringe-flecked jacket is what rock ’n’ roll dreams are made of (and just so happens to look great with flares). The festival-ready aesthetic is practically begging to be paired with stacking rings and windblown hair for a late-night gig.
5. Essentiel Antwerp Mafalda Tapestry Coat ($492): And we swoon. Blending in isn’t an option when you have a floral coat like this stunner on standby. Wear it on a night out with a lace-trimmed slip dress, or toss it over your favorite pair of distressed jeans and a rib knit sweater for the ultimate new-season look.
6. Zara Masculine Coat ($149): It’s hard to hate on cool weather when you have a pastel coat this dreamy in your arsenal. Hit the city streets in style by layering it up with an oversized button down, treggings and platform loafers.
7. Forever21 Sheeny Padded Varsity Jacket ($25): With its high-shine finish and dramatic burgundy hue that feels right on cue for fall, this sports-chic bomber jacket is straight-up goals. Take it along to tailgate with high-top sneakers, a t-shirt dress and boxy camera bag, or sub it in for your fave leather jacket for an upcoming GNO.
8. ASOS Duster Coat in Check ($114): Go ahead and add this timeless check coat that ticks all the boxes to your fall capsule wardrobe STAT. Embrace your inner street-style star by styling it alongside a leather pencil skirt, statement sneakers and a textured oversized sweater for a look that can hang both on and off duty.
9. Free People Embroidered Swingy Jacket ($168): Perfect your roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine sporting a vintage-inspired swing jacket with endless bohemian babe appeal. Instantly dressing up casual jeans, tees and classic sneakers, it’s ideal for days when you want to look pulled together without lifting a finger.
10. Madewell Fleet Jacket ($118): Forget all the bells and whistles: This classic utility jacket will inspire you to do less (and look ah-mazing at the same time) this season. The structured, military-inspired styling will make your morning routine a total cinch — pop it on with a basic tee, cropped denim and ankle boots for a foolproof look.
11. Zara Metallic Raincoat ($70): Rainy days definitely won’t keep you down when you have a metallic topper like this on hand. The sleek copper finish may or may not make you break out into your own rendition of “Singing in the Rain.” The only thing missing? An equally as on-point pair of rain boots. Our pick? Studded Kate Spade New York Salma Chelsea Rain Boots ($175) — practical and chic, they’re the total package.
12. Nomad by Morgan Carper Colorpane Poncho ($198): Color is the best way to beat end-of-summer blahs, making this technicolor poncho a must-have for all your autumn shenanigans. DO style it with cozy knits and velvet kicks.
13. Forever21 Sash-Tie Trench Jacket ($45): Just because it’s fall doesn’t mean you have to assume a uniform of head-to-toe black. Add some major pep to your step with a sassy red trench that’s equal parts polish and pizzazz.
14. Levi’s Sherpa Lined Denim Trucker Jacket ($128): When it’s cool enough for an extra layer but not quite at winter-coat level, call upon this shearling-lined denim jacket that’s a slightly more souped-up version of your summertime standby. Play up the casually cool look by tossing it on with a shirt dress, oversized scarf and combat boots.
15. Free People Military Embellished Band Jacket ($195): Ditch your blasé blazer for this embellished band jacket that redefines the idea of on-duty dressing. For max perfection, style it with a printed chiffon top and strappy suede steppers.
16. Express Drape Front Soft Twill Jacket ($98): Keep the wardrobe conundrums at bay with a timeless drape-front jacket in a soft rose quartz hue. Pair it with everything from graphic jumpsuits to skinny jeans for a polished look that will never get old.
17. French Connection Felicity Tweed Print Biker Jacket ($498): Oh, this old thang? Stand out from the crowd in this pink tweed biker jacket that’s timeless elegance and modern edge all rolled into one. Major bonus: It brings together the best of both worlds, so you can rock it anytime, anywhere — like a fall wedding or outdoor beer fest.
18. Free People Colorblock Military Parka ($198): While this military-inspired parka is practically made for kickin’ back on the weekend, don’t be afraid to take it there with a metallic slip dress and embellished heels for a modern spin on grunge-era glam. The unexpected contrast is guaranteed to rack up the style points left and right.
19. H&M Jacquard-Weave Coat ($80): Working girls, rejoice! We’ve uncovered a seriously chic alternative to the standard HR-approved suit. With a jacquard-weave print and robe-inspired styling, this wrap coat is a far cry from the snoozy corporate separates you see running rampant at the office. Throw a pair of culottes and architectural heels into the mix for an OMG-worthy getup that just might become the hot topic at the water cooler.
20. Mango Suede Jacket ($130): For every practical topper (think: classic trench and tried-and-true blazer), you need one that truly embodies your inner It girl. Enter the dramatic suede jacket that will take you from the boardroom to the bar to fall festivals like that. It’s that versatile (and SO worth the price tag).
21. & Other Stories Tigress Quilted Jacket ($145): When your standard trench coat starts to feel meh, shake things up with this exotic kimono jacket that’s ready to take your style for a walk on the wild side. For a desk-to-drinks look that always delivers, style it with wide-leg trousers and a statement choker.
22. Levi’s Plaid Jacket ($198): It’s not fall until you have at least one plaid piece holding it down in your capsule wardrobe. Introducing the woolen plaid coat you’ll look to all season long to keep you warm and cozy. Be it a trip to the orchard or a leisurely stroll through the park, this longline coat has you covered.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)