Swap This for That: 13 Fall Wardrobe Swaps to Make Right Now
We hate to admit it, but summer will soon be coming to a close. The onset of autumn means a great many things, one of which is the slow fading away of perfect warm, sunny days (womp womp). And while you’re likely to hang on to those dreamy maxi dresses and the rest of your much-loved summer duds for dear life, you can find comfort in the fact that there are plenty of on-point fall style trends on the horizon. Case in point: the 13 new-season picks below. From saddlebags to slip dresses, these stunners make transitioning summer pieces for fall an effortless exercise.
1. Denim Jacket for Suede Trench: Mango Suede Trench ($380): As shorter days and cooler temps start to settle in, your go-to denim jacket might start losing its luster. The new season calls for something with a little more panache, and this brick red trench is ready to step in for a style intervention. Instantly adding a touch of sophistication to both girlboss-approved ensembles and laid-back basics, it’s the jacket you’ll reach for every single time.
2. Airy Slipdress for Velvet Slipdress: Zara Velvet Dress ($36): Airy midi dresses? Please. You may have lived in flowy free-spirited frocks all summer long, but streamlined silhouettes with a luxe, dramatic feel are what fall is all about. Case in point: This velvet slip is the secret to nailing day-to-night dressing like a pro. Layer it over a lightweight turtleneck and ankle boots for the office, then rock it solo with platform heels and a lariat necklace for after-hours shenanigans.
3. Straw Bag for Leather Saddlebag: Charles & Keith Tassel Saddlebag ($79): Sayonara, straw bags. The French-girl summer essential is taking a back seat in the new season to sleek saddlebags that are just as functional as they are stylish. This tassel-tastic stunner is the perfect finishing touch to an effortless jumpsuit and duster jacket combo for Sunday brunch with the girls, but it can totally hang on a night out styled alongside a modern shift dress and studded leather jacket.
4. Tank Top for Tunic: Free People Magic Mystery Printed Tunic ($108): While sleeveless shirts lend themselves to layering, they can fall a little short when balmy sunny days start to fade away. Enter the scene-stealing silhouette that will keep those carefree summer feels alive and you cozy all at once: the bell-sleeved top. A step above your standard long-sleeve blouse, this floral beauty is just what your off-duty lineup has been missing. Team it with high-waisted culottes, clogs and layered necklaces for a Saturday morning flea market adventure, or belt it over a pleated midi skirt (and throw in a sleeveless blazer for good measure) to get your working girl on.
5. Gladiators for Edgy Leather Flats: Zara Flat Strappy Shoes ($60): Wearing your favorite sandals after Labor Day can totally fly, but there are some styles that just aren’t going to make the cut — i.e., gladiators and other lace-up variations that aren’t exactly built for fall. Take a page from Alexa Chung’s style book and step into a pair of souped-up Mary Janes instead. This black buckle pair, with its pointed toe and grommet detailing, is just the thing to toughen up flirty feminine pieces.
6. Beach Kimono for Knit Poncho: Y.A.S Mag Poncho in Check ($36): Where would you have been without your trusty kimono this summer? Beach vacays and leisurely afternoons spent lounging by the pool would have felt a whole lot less fabulous without this airy essential in tow. A throw-on-and-go poncho does all that and more, amping up your new season style and keeping you toasty and warm. Whether you’re tailgating or kicking back by the fire, toss this plaid number over a billowy peasant blouse, high-waisted skinny jeans and furry loafer slides for an effortless look that’s ready to take your Insta by storm.
7. Sunhat for Wool Fedora: Janessa Leoné Ava Hat ($188): Pack up your sunhat stat — this season’s slew of wool fedoras are straight-up stunning. This gorgeous cream topper won’t just keep those early fall rays at bay, it’ll add a touch of runway-ready edge to any cool weather getup — especially when paired show-stopping shades.
8. Summertime Shorts for Culottes: Michael Michael Kors Cropped Printed Stretch-Crepe Culottes ($175): Packing up shorts officially signals the end of summer, but when you see what’s swooping in to take their place, that summertime sadness will start to melt away. Those pretty printed shorts you’ve been rockin’ since Memorial Day? Gone. And in their wake come endless OMG-worthy culottes that will make any fashion enthusiast swoon. Try a patterned pair on for size with a bow-neck blouse, block heel Mary Janes and asymmetric earrings for an on-the-job ensemble that will score you best-dressed status like that.
9. Pool Slides for Loafer Slides: Topshop Kylie Backless Buckle Loafer ($85): Moving into September, pool slides aren’t exactly going to cut it. Keep that effortless slip-on-and-scoot thing going with pewter loafer slides that exude everyday casual cool. Be it a big business meeting or a casual stroll through the park, they’re guaranteed to rack up the style points left and right.
10. Linen Shirtdress for Suede Jumper: Free People Suede Jumper Dress ($198): It’s officially time to part ways with linen, summer’s official fabric of choice, and bring out the big guns — i.e. wool, cashmere and, of course, suede. Give your button-front skirt a rest and bust out this playful jumper instead. Rock it solo while the temps allow it, then transition it to the new season with rib knit tops, statement chokers and ankle boots with attitude.
11. ’70s Style Aviators for Oversized Square Sunnies: Elizabeth and James Adler Oversized Square Sunglasses ($185): Out with the old, in with the bold. Festivals and summertime fetes made psychedelic sunnies with Studio 54 appeal a must, but fall is taking a more pared-down approach to throwing shade. Sculptural, streamlined shapes with a futuristic feel are key for giving everything from suede jackets to snuggly sweaters and polished plaid pencil skirts an It-girl edge.
12. Technicolor Bright Tees for Striped Shirts: New Revival Navy Pinstripe Oversize Wide Cuff Shirt ($112): Stripes (thankfully) never go out of style, so best believe they deserve a spot in your autumn capsule wardrobe. Swap out technicolor and statement stripes for something slightly more subtle this season, looking to the tried-and-true pinstripe to give any #OOTD a sophisticated, down-to-business vibe. Instead of the expected suiting, test drive new silhouettes, like this oversized choker blouse, to breathe new life into the timeless print.
13. Cold Shoulder Tanks for Cold Shoulder Tops: C/meo Collective Cold Shoulder Check Top ($170): You’ll go to great lengths to keep the cold shoulder trend alive, and this dramatic check top makes it so easy. Be it a gallery opening or gossip with the girls at your fave wine bar, this shoulder-baring number is sure to turn heads.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.