What to Wear to a Wedding According to Jenna Lyons
Dressing for a wedding can be a tricky task. You don’t want to look overdressed, but you also don’t want to take away from the bride’s ensemble. It’s definitely a Goldilocks-type situation that has caused many a woman a difficult time in multiple fitting rooms. Well, you can delete the 20 outfit selfies you were planning on sending to your BFF, because J.Crew’s creative director (and our favorite lady boss), Jenna Lyons, has the secret to the perfect wedding ensemble: feathers.
No, not the like boa kind. Well, maybe kind of like that. In a recent interview with The Cut, Lyons spoke about the pretty much perfect outfit she wore to Solange’s wedding. While Solange’s Kenzo dress definitely dominated most the chatter surrounding her nuptials, Lyon’s ensemble also made some waves. The look (which you can see here) was nothing short of a Jenna Lyons masterpiece. Beautifully mixing formal and casual, she rocked a floor-length feathered skirt with a button-down white tee and fur coat. Extravagant? Yes, but in all the right ways.
Lyons tells The Cut, “The wedding was all secretive, and they had said that it was going to be at 3, and at 1, Courtney (Crangi, Lyons’s girlfriend) and I looked at our phones and they had moved the wedding up an hour. It was crazy. So everyone was texting and the skirt went on, the T-shirt went on, the T-shirt did not work. The T-shirt came off. Another shirt went on that didn’t work, and then the other shirt that went on and the coat went on, and then we went out the door. It was kind of a comedy act. So I’m shocked that that outfit got that much attention, because it did not feel like I pulled it together very well.” Au contraire, Ms. Lyons.
Now, we know that you probably don’t have much use for a feathered maxi, we can’t all be Jenna Lyons after all, but if you want to try out the look in a slightly more subdued context, here are five feathered pieces perfect for a spring wedding.
1. Sleeveless Dress With Feather Skirt ($175): With a slightly less dramatic hemline and a little bit of flirty bling, this sweet dress is just begging to rule the dance floor.
2. Lace and Beads Shift Dress ($107): If you’re not so sure about this whole feather thing, test the waters in this flapper-esque dress with super delicate feathering on bottom.
3. Feathered Hem Blazer ($359): If you’re ready really channel your inner Jenna Lyons, rock this Elizabeth and James blazer that has a feathered hem attached to the bottom. It’s definitely not the cheapest option, but you’d absolutely be doing Lyons proud.
4. Strappy Feathered Heel ($60): If you can’t get yourself to rock the feathers on a dress, channel your inner Cher Horowitz and sport these statement shoes. Dawn a simple button-down and skirt and let these kicks do all the talking.
5. Dace Feather Skirt ($): Follow in Jenna’s footsteps and sport this feathered mini with a simple black or white button-down.
What’s your take on feathered fashion? Are you into it? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
(Photo via Mireya Acierto/Getty)