The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have finally wrapped up their tour of Canada, and it was an overall success, especially with the cuteness overload that is Prince George and Princess Charlotte. And, as always, Kate Middleton’s style was on princess point.
This time, however, she switched it up on us a bit with a more casual coat style than her usual knee-length dress coat. She went with a wide shawl wrap coat with a belt, which is a departure (albeit subtle) for the royal. But, in true Kate fashion, it still looks amazing, casual and perfect somehow for her trip. Envious? Here’s how to get her simple, straightforward look.
1. Steve Madden Belted Waffle Coat ($150): As much as it’s easy to reach for a neutral coat, try one that’s sunny and bright like this one to really stand out. The texture helps give the coat depth, which in turn will make your outfit feel much more sophisticated.
2. BCBG Generation Belted Coat ($198): If you’re a purist, go for a style like this one that’s a two-tone, goes-with-everything shade of gray. You’ll for sure get the cost-per-wear down to nothing (especially since North America is supposed to have a particularly bad winter!).
3. T Tahari Wool Belted Coat ($348): Calling all Olivia Pope fans — this looks like something you stole straight from her closet. Soft pastel blue is the perfect color for this sneakily powerful wrap coat. Practice saying, “It’s handled.”
4. Jessica Simpson Tweed Coat ($168): If you default to black in the winter like a lot of us, try jazzing up your standard look with some texture, like with this Jessica Simpson coat. For an extra ounce of personality and color, you can pin a large brooch to the lapel — and switch it up when you want to change out your look.
5. First and I Belted Coat ($57): This camel neutral is sooo Duchess-approved. Try it styled with the collar turned up for an extra preppy look.
6. Miss Selfridge Wrap Coat ($155): You know the ‘70s is trending, so try the wrap style in a rust color. It’ll look great with both flares and your work outfit.
7. Boohoo Kate Belted Shawl Collar Coat ($35): Okay, so this is *probably* named in honor of the Duchess — and at only $35, it’s one you can definitely afford to invest in. The deep wine color is gorgeous, and will liven up any fall/winter wardobe.
How do you wear this style? Show us on Instagram with #iamcreative!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Featured photo via Andrew Milligan / Getty; Middleton via Getty Pool)