The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Capsule Wardrobes for Under $100
Listen up, lazy girls! Capsule wardrobes aren’t just for the overly ambitious and reformed shop-a-holics — they’re the key to #OOTD-worthy outfits in seconds. A pared-down wardrobe means LESS work for you, so you can keep doing your lazy-girl thing, while sending those double taps through the roof. (Amazing what a bit of organization can do, right?) Yes, the initial sorting, dividing and gap-filling bit can be somewhat of a bummer, but trust us, it’s totally worth it — especially since we’ve taken care of the second part of the process for you. From slip-on-and-go shoes (i.e. espadrilles and mules) to double-duty denim and wear-anywhere bodysuits, we’ve put together a list of must-have pieces to round out that carefully curated closet and send your style into overdrive this season.
1. Mango Long-Printed Jumpsuit ($80): Separates? Please. Why do the mix-and-match thing when this singular style nails it in one go? Whether you rock it straight-up with metallic sandals and dainty layered necklaces or belted with a pair of pumps, this flowery number can do no wrong.
2. Sam Edelman Gemina Embellished Sandal ($100): You’ll be putting those flip-flops to rest for good the second you add these anything-but-ordinary sandals to your repertoire. With luxe peach suede and a slew of vibrant pom-pom embellishments, these low-lying stunners are guaranteed to add a bit of pep to your step (or any off-duty ensemble).
3. Saint James for J.Crew Short-Sleeve Slouchy T-Shirt ($89): Every summer wardrobe needs a can’t-live-without-it tee, and this sunny striped topper is ready to step up to the plate. Makeshift coverup, work-week hero (tucked into a light-colored suede pencil skirt, of course) or coffee date companion — there’s nothing this bad boy can’t do.
4. Tiro Tiro Porta Earrings ($82): Okay, so there’s actually no cap on how many accessories you can have in your capsule wardrobe, but we’re all for pieces that you can get major mileage out of. Case in point: These understated earrings are low-key enough to wear on the daily, while still making a big statement. Worth pulling your hair up for, these baubles call for a messy topknot or undone updo.
5. Reformation Gia Bodysuit ($78): Enter the game-changing piece you’ll be pulling out at every opportunity. A bodysuit, especially one as rad as this (hello, Eco Rib), is an essential for every wardrobe and eliminates the whole twisted-shirt thing (you know what we’re talking about). Tuck it into a button-front skirt and tack on a pair of Insta-worthy sunnies for a flawless look in seconds. It’s really that easy.
6. H&M Cardigan With Embroidery ($70): Better than your blazer and a thousand times cooler than a classic cardi, this cozy-chic topper is about to take your wardrobe by storm. Toss it on over your finest on-the-job attire for a fierce professional getup that proves you’re bringing more to the table than innovative ideas.
7. Topshop NINO Suede Mules ($100): Teetering stilettos just aren’t your thing, and that’s totally cool. These blue suede shoes were made with you (and your keen sense of style) in mind, with their runway-ready aesthetic and laid-back block heel. Team ’em with cropped denim and sleeveless roll-neck tops for a casual-cool look.
8. ASOS Washed Woven Pocket Joggers ($41): Sometimes you just have to hang loose, and that’s where this athleisure essential comes in. Practically made for picnics in the park and kickin’ back in a hammock, they keep it real with bralettes and classic tees alike. Sporty chic slides and minimalist baubles are obligatory.
9. Herschel Dawson Backpack in Daybreak ($100): When you need to go hands-free (just in case, you know, you need to snap a pic of that ice cream cone), this is the bag you need on standby. Pockets-a-plenty make toting your summer essentials so easy, whether you’re headed to the beach or booty boot camp.
10. Free People Get Yer Gauze Tunic ($78): Toss this bohemian frock on for an instant dose of It girl-approved style. Perfect for layering over swimsuits or your favorite denim, it’s the top that will totally inspire you to do LESS this season.
11. ASOS Rainbow Romper With Ties ($52): One piece, one seriously on-point #OOTD — that’s what this striped stunner is all about. Round it out with flatform kicks and a quirky crossbody bag, then watch as the compliments come rolling in.
12. Soludos Smoking Slippers ($65): Freshening up your summer style is as easy as slipping on a pair of these sweet espadrilles and a denim shirt dress (bandana knotted neatly at the neck). Orange you glad we spotted these effortless steppers?
13. GOLDEN by TNA Skellig Knit Top ($70): Meet the effortless tank you won’t want to take off. It’s crazy comfy AND colorful — what’s not to love? When your tee-and-jeans routine starts to feel meh, style this striped number up with structured culottes and a pair of colorful clogs.
14. Urban Renewal Remade Knee-Length Destroyed Short ($54): Destroyed denim shorts just get you — the laid-back vibes speak to your free-spirited style. Hit up the Saturday farmers’ market in festival babe fashion with an embroidered peasant top and colorful straw bag perfect for toting fresh veggies (and just about anything else).
15. COS Dress With Grid Details ($99): Introducing: the t-shirt dress that is about to make your morning routine even easier. Teamed with suede mules and dazzling earrings, it’s the ultimate date-night dress in disguise.
16. ASOS Oversized Straw Floppy Hat With I’m Busy ($30): Because you’re busy — napping, that is. Beach days and I-just-can’t-even days demand a hat with this much ‘tude. Pair it with off-the-shoulder dresses or flowy maxi skirts to take on your day off like a boss.
17. Zara Wrap Printed Skirt ($70): Weddings, work, weekend — this throw-on-and-go skirt has all your bases covered. Just add an on-trend top or basic tee and you’re ready to head out the door. For a girl-next-door-gone-bad edge, rock it with a leather jacket and studded crossover slingbacks.
18. Mango White Denim Jacket ($80): A denim jacket that literally goes with everything in your wardrobe is always a welcome addition. Do the double-denim thang summer 2016-style with cropped flares, a badass bandana and this embroidered beauty.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.