12 Spring-Ready Espadrilles That Are So 2016
It’s time to unveil those toesies, because, yup, spring is officially a thing, and that means your arsenal of heavy-duty shoes can finally make its way back into storage (so over it). In their place comes a slew of lightened-up kicks — on-trend mules, colorful sneakers and of course a flatform or two — that will do your spring style proud, whether you’re slaying your to-do list or chillin’ on a tropical beach during a much-needed getaway. But there’s one more stepper you’ll definitely want to add to the mix: the espadrille. And we’re not just talking the standard slip-on style you’ve been rockin’ since way back when. This season, the rope-bottomed shoe is stepping up its game to earn a highly coveted spot in your spring capsule wardrobe. From metallic stunners made for hitting the town to skyward-reaching wedges ready to shake up your nine-to-five, these 12 espadrilles will do right by your warm-weather style.
1. ASOS Jericho Sandal Espadrilles ($30): If your much-loved ballet flats are starting to feel meh, swap ’em out for these neon numbers instead. Vibrant leather and printed soles translate to a surprisingly versatile style that can be worn with smart suiting for the office or a chambray shirt dress that reads off-duty cool.
2. André Assous Samantha Sandal ($169): Paired with bomber jackets and athletic tees, these blue beauties serve up endless sports-chic appeal, but they clean up real nice too. Take ’em along to all your spring special events with floral shift dresses and sassy jumpsuits.
3. Free People High Society Heel ($198): These strappy espadrille heels are what footwear dreams are made of. For an upcoming GNO, don’t hesitate to team them with a button-front skirt and suede jacket for the ultimate old-school-meets-new-school ensemble. DO throw in a few colorful pins and a dreamy fishtail braid for good measure.
4. Soludos Vegan Leather Espadrilles ($48): They’re like your favorite espadrilles, but with a whole new attitude. Leather uppers and sheer paneling are guaranteed to add modern flair to laid-back leisurewear and ditsy floral dresses alike.
5. Love Moschino Metallic Espadrille Sandals ($138): Meet the anything-but-average espadrilles you’ll want to whip out for every occasion. For the ultimate after-hours look, style these metallic numbers with culottes, a silky cami and neon nails. A vibrant clutch and a bronze smokey eye are definitely in order.
6. French Sole Rapture Wedge Espadrille ($188): Enter the shoe that will take your nine-to-five wardrobe by storm. Equal parts sophisticated and chic, they straight-up slay when paired with jacquard trousers and sleeveless blazers. Go for it; we dare you.
7. River Island Pink Laser Cut Espadrilles ($48): Partnered with a lightweight linen romper and a funky straw fedora, these lace-up espadrilles will fast become the cornerstone of endless casually cool #OOTDs. Effortless is the only word in their vocabulary, making them a shoo-in for both Sunday morning farmers markets and low-key house parties.
8. Jeffrey Campbell Mansfeld Espadrille Wedge ($190): Minimalist muses, meet the statement shoes you’ll reach for again and again. Sure, they’re anything but subtle, but the sleek silhouette and black-and-white print are all about keepin’ it real. Style them alongside a jersey midi skirt and a cold-shoulder blouse for a throw-on-and-go getup that will double those double taps every time.
9. Kendall & Kylie Jackie White Leather Multi Buckle Espadrille Flat Sandals ($127): Who needs flip flops when you can rock these scene-stealers instead? The buckle detail offers just enough don’t-mess edge to toughen up flirty, feminine pieces, but can hang just as easily with cropped jeans, messy buns and oversized tees.
10. Kenzo Tiger Slingback Espadrilles ($222): Got a few extra bucks burning a hole in your pocket? Pick up a pair of these color-block steppers right here. You’ll be saying peace out to standard sneakers and classic flats stat, because these bad boys deliver crazy comfort and non-stop wow-factor. Make them GNO-ready with high-waisted trousers and a cool cold-shoulder top.
11. Free People Charade Espadrille Wedge ($138): Skip the heels without giving up that much-needed boost with sweet Mary Jane wedges in a vibrant shade of green. Dress ’em up with a pleated A-line dress for the office or pare ’em down with leather leggings and a longline tunic. They’ll take you from boardroom meetings to margaritas with the girls just like that.
12. Loeffler Randall Three Strap Flatform ($225): Keep a pair of these strappy leather flatforms on standby for a laid-back-cool getup. Whether you’re reppin’ cropped flares and an off-the-shoulder top or an airy eyelet dress, you’ll reach for these stunners every single time.
Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!