Here’s How to Put a Healthy Twist on Your Favorite Holiday Traditions
It’s not always easy to keep your healthy eating top-of-mind during the holidays. Between the endless supply of cookies and the temptation to spend all your time cozied up on the couch watching movies, it’s no surprise that health tends to take a backseat during all the celebrating. That’s why we’re teaming up with Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt to share how you and your loved ones can participate in all of the best parts of the season without getting off track. From healthier twists on festive treats to getting active with your crew, we’ve got ya covered with a plan that will allow you to experience all the joys of the next couple of weeks.
Scroll on to see how you can make it through the holidays and still feel great.
1. Spend quality time with the family by getting off the couch — and on the ice. This year, cross off your favorite films *and* making new memories with your loved ones. This is the perfect opportunity to hit the seasonal ice rink (hello, twinkle lights and holiday magic) and get your body moving. If skates aren’t your thing, consider throwing together a flag football game or a park-wide scavenger hunt for the whole fam. You’re bound to be this year’s MVP.
2. Treat yourself to a Frozen Peppermint Hot Chocolate. What’s more festive than peppermint? Set aside the high-calorie eggnog in favor of something a bit lighter that, bonus, will impress your pals: Frozen Peppermint Hot Chocolate.
- 1 cup Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt Peppermint Crunch
- 1 cup milk of your preference
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- ½ cup hot cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of chocolate sauce
- 3 cups ice
- Layered Scoops of Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt Peppermint Crunch
- Chocolate Sauce
- Peppermint mini marshmallows
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings
- Crushed peppermint candy
- Peppermint bark
1. Put all of your ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Place pitcher in the refrigerator or freezer while you prepare the glasses: Put ¼ cup of hot fudge sauce on a small plate and dip the tops of four 8-oz glasses in it to create a chocolate rim.
3. Fill each mug about halfway with the yogurt mixture. Add a small scoop of Peppermint Crunch in the middle of each glass. Top off each glass with the mixture once more, then add another small scoop of Peppermint Crunch.
4. Top the frozen delicacy to your heart’s desire with whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate curls and peppermint.
5. Serve immediately and enjoy!
3. Hit your steps goal by shopping local rather than online. As tempting as it is to shop from the comfort of your plush bed, opt out of getting all your holiday gifts online this year. When possible, pick items up for your loved ones in-store as an easy way to squeeze in a couple extra steps. The walk will do you good!
Bonus: Maybe you’ll get lucky and hit an in-store-only sale while you’re out!
4. Swap out traditional ingredients with a healthy alternative. Calling all hostesses or potluck-lovers! Try upgrading some holiday entertaining staples with nutrient-dense alternatives — like making your favorite party dip with Greek yogurt.
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup key lime Greek yogurt
- 10-12 large mint leaves, finely chopped, plus a few small leaves for garnish
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Zest of 1 lime
1. In a medium bowl, stir together yogurts and mint.
2. Let dip sit in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
3. When ready to serve, place in a bowl and drizzle honey on top. Garnish with lime zest and a small mint sprig.
4. Serve with fresh fruit and thin wafers (or even dried fruit).
Get creative when building a dish: Think about where you can add extra protein and greens. Other simple swaps include mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes and zucchini noodles instead of spaghetti.
5. Revel in that alone time while kick-starting your metabolism with a morning walk. Whether your in-laws are visiting or the kids are up even earlier than usual, the level of crazy in your house is bound to be higher than usual. Do yourself a favor and swap the madness for a little time in the fresh air. Start by committing to at least 15 minutes every day to prioritize your physical and mental health. When the holiday season comes to an end, you might find this is a habit you’re not ready to give up.
6. Practice portion control. You’ve heard the saying before, but one more time for the kids in the back: Everything in moderation. This is the most joyful time of the year, and you shouldn’t deprive yourself of your most beloved treats! Instead, familiarize yourself with what healthy portions look like by using our visual guide. The more you know!
7. Put a new spin on the same old holiday cookies. Ready to indulge a little?Time to break out one of Yasso’s newest holiday flavors: Sugar Cookie. Your guests will love the nutritious twist on the classic holiday cookie and the opportunity to customize their sundaes. We’re partial to a setup that includes plenty of sprinkles and marshmallows. The kids will get a kick out of decorating their dessert, and you’ll get the satisfaction of knowing you’ve discreetly packed a bit more protein into their meal. PSST: You can also grab the bar version for a quick treat on the go!
Round up the fam — it’s time to take on the festivities!
What changes will you be making this holiday season? Share with us on Twitter by tagging @BritandCo and @Yassofroyo.
Production & Styling: Kayla Haykin & Alicia Deal
Photography: Brittany Griffin
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)