15 Must-Have Maxi Dresses for Every Spring Event
While your days of choosing from Barbie-inspired tulle gowns for prom may be behind you (womp, womp), spring gala season is totally game. Wondering what to wear to a spring wedding, garden party or outdoor concert? Sounds like you need a new dress, and STAT! Call up your girlfriends for a little spending spree as you try on gorgeous maxi dresses fit for a modern-day princess. Between springy floral prints and dreamy watercolor patterns, we’ve got you covered with 15 spring maxis that will serve double duty for every event on your iCal this season. Get ready to swoon hard.
1. Fame and Partners Valentina Dream Maxi Dress With Cut Out Back in Watercolour Print ($255): We’re pretty sure we would’ve picked out this gorgeous watercolor gown for senior prom in a heartbeat. Between the thigh-grazing slit, plunging neckline and most importantly that back, this triple threat in disguise is guaranteed to look DDG for any number of spring formals. Take it there with a body chain and sultry waves that will make you irresistible on the dance floor.
2. Forever 21 Cutout-Back Floral Maxi Dress ($28): This OMG-worthy cutout dress is proof that groundbreaking floral does exist! If you want to make an entrance (and we know you do), simply style this killer maxi with a statement-making bejeweled ear cuff and some dramatic gladiators.
3. Wilfred Trion Dress ($225): Who knew a LWD could demand this much attention? As far as perennial staples go, this easygoing (and incredibly flattering) white slit dress is a timeless item that you’ll be able to wear for years to come. Wear it for your engagement shoot, Sunday brunch on the veranda — you name it. Just be sure to steer clear of weddings, unless you’re the bride-to-be ;)
4. The Jetset Diaries Wanderlust Lace Dress ($269): Too much lace? No such thing. Knock ‘em dead on the red carpet at a high-profile gala by showing up in this swoon-inducing lavender stunner. Let the dress (and those pretty ruffles!) do all the talking by opting for minimal makeup and perfect beach waves.
5. The Jetset Diaries Lotus High-Neck Maxi Dress ($229): Enter the rose gown of your dreams that will straight-up stun at a wedding. Whether you’re fulfilling bridesmaid duties or are attending as a plus one, everything about this Grecian dress — the halter style, the contemporary cutout, the high slit — reads elegant and romantic.
6. Zara Long Printed Dress ($100): Coachella, here we come! Do festival season right by investing in this floral cold-shoulder dress that would look best teamed with a fringed crossbody bag and flower crown. Throw a wide-brimmed hat and of-the-moment goldenrod mules into the equation for instant festival queen status.
7. Topshop Twist Back Dress ($38): Not all spring affairs require you to get all gussied up in your Sunday best. Case in point: Team this cotton sun-washed maxi dress with sneaks and a cool bomber jacket for a family reunion or a backyard barbecue. Pssst: The peekaboo twist back and side slits make it totally appropriate for an outdoor wedding with a daytime-casual dress code.
8. H&M Long Dress ($50): Whether you’re gearing up for a housewarming party or are attending your younger sister’s graduation, you need a dress that can stand on its own. This high-neck maxi covered in bold blooms is the epitome of laid-back chic. It’s sophisticated and easy-breezy, but not boring in the least. Dress it up with chandelier earrings or keep things on the DL with your favorite Birks come beach weekend.
9. Madewell Double-Printed Layered Maxi Dress ($168): Calling all busy girls! This sheer two-in-one maxi dress will take you from desk to drinks with a slouchy black blazer and black platform heels in tow. And that’s not all: For an afternoon of poolside lounging, you can re-wear it as an ethereal bikini cover-up alongside some lace-up sandals.
10. Lovers + Friends X Revolve Wanderlust Maxi Dress ($190): For a festival-going getup that doesn’t involve cutoffs or crop tops, feast your eyes upon this off-the-shoulder star print dress with a tough-girl edge. You already know flash tats and studded ankle booties are obligatory.
11. Reformation Ghana Dress ($218): Usher in warmer weather with this effortless shirtdress that would be perfect for a picnic in the park or your weekly farmers market run. Don’t overthink it: To achieve an off-duty look, all you’ll need is a vintage saddle bag and some canvas sneakers for the win.
12. Nightwalker The Fountain Plunging Dress ($165): Channel your inner island girl with this tropical floral print maxi that’s practically made for a destination wedding in Hawaii. Team the plunging neckline and double slits with a risqué body chain and some playful lace-up pom-pom sandals.
13. Zara Striped Dress ($70): Repeat after us: Game-changing stripes will always do you right. When nautical prints feel too forced (and overly cliché), allow this scene-stealing maxi with unexpected diagonal stripes to keep you on your toes. Pair it with a fishtail braid and some chunky metallic block heels for a stint in paradise.
14. Cupcakes and Cashmere Indio Print Chiffon Maxi Dress ($140): What better way to kick off a slew of spring traditions than a painterly chevron maxi that channels serious relaxation vibes? If you don’t have any beachside wedding invites rolling in yet, bring the beach to you by treating yo’self to a balmy afternoon at the park.
15. Mara Hoffman Flag Stripe Tie Back Dress ($286): Be it a yachting party, wine tasting at the vineyard or a day at the races, this festive flag stripe dress is a certified crowd-pleaser. Cue the summatime vibes by accessorizing it with a floppy straw hat, mirrored sunnies and lace-up espadrilles.
Which maxi dress are you swooning over for formal and festival season? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful + fun style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)