5 Ways to Wear Minimalist Makeup to a Holiday Party Like a Celeb
Minimalist, no-makeup makeup has been a big beauty trend this year, but translating that no-frills style to the holiday season can be tricky. Luckily, there are a few celebs who have taken the less-is-more approach to special occasion beauty. According to them, it’s all about bringing out the best of your features, naturally, with a subtle yet pretty result. Read on to learn five ways you can wear a low-key face to a fancy holiday soirée, inspired by your favorite celebs.
1. Opt for super thin liquid liner. Instead of going full glam or sporting a cat eye, enhance your peepers with a tightly lined upper lash line like Maia Mitchell did. A product like Benefit Cosmetics They’re Real! Push Up Liner ($24) in Black has an angled, rubbery tip which allows you to hug the lash line while bringing delicate definition to your eyes. The goal is to have no one know you have liner on at all! (Photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty)
2. Get glossy. Forget contouring and slay minimalism with a glossy, extra highlighted complexion — just look how gorgeous Lea Michele’s glow is! Focus on lighting up the high points of your face — like your brow bone, cheekbones, nose, and cupid’s bow — with fresh luminescence. E.l.f. Highlighting Dewy Drops ($4) bring a flattering balance of pearlescence and sheer shine, which means more makeup isn’t necessary. (Photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty)
3. Rock rosy lips. While we love a bold lip, a neutral shade is more suitable for an au natural makeup vibe. Selena Gomez chose a healthy hue that was one shade darker than her natural pout pigment, similar to Colourpop Lippie Stix ($5) in Lumiere. It added a wash of color without being distracting. (Photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty)
4. Add sky-high lashes. If you want to make your eyes look big and bright, adding individual false lashes is the way to go. Unlike false eyelash strips, bunches like Ardell Individuals Duralash Combo Pack Starter Kit ($10) look much more natural (and are easier to apply). Camila Mendes’ lengthy, fluttery lashes tied her no-makeup makeup together and made her eyes pop on the red carpet. (Photo via J. Merritt/Getty)
5. Don’t be afraid to blush. The tiniest hint of gel or cream blush, like Glossier Cloud Paint ($18), on the apples of your cheeks ensures that your minimalist style won’t look washed out. Alessia Cara’s seriously subtle touch of pink blush gives her face warmth and adds a gorgeous glow. (Photo via Lester Cohen/Getty)
Follow us on Pinterest for more beauty inspo and info.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.