14 Chokers That Won’t Make You Look Like a ’90s It Girl
Okay, not saying that it wouldn’t be rad to look like Liv Tyler a la Empire Records (as if!), but we’re willing to bet that those tattoo chokers you bought from Delia’s way back when look about as dated no as sexy Rexy did on screen in 1995. On the other hand, these 14 chokers were all designed with the modern style maven in mind. Sure, it may sound like a daring comeback trend to tackle, but we promise this batch is cool, colorful, and cropped to chic perfection.
1. Kenneth Jay Lane Choker Necklace ($288): Tiny turquoise-hued beads add a perfect color contrast to this gold plated choker necklace. It would look stunning peaking under a buttoned up white collar.
2. AOKO SU Neck Cuff Necklace ($300): This tiered cuff necklace is beyond gorgeous. Even though its design is clean and minimal, the stacked style makes it ultra eye-catching. Way worth the splurge.
3. Asos Tassel Choker Necklace ($34): We have to admit, those canary yellow tassels realed us in, but the more we look at this choker, the more we totally want it. Since the base of the necklace is a knotted cord, this choker isn’t at all stiff, so the gold-toned tile beads fall naturally on your neckline. Swoon-worthy indeed.
4. Roseanna Pink Textured Tie Choker Necklace ($17): A knotted, hot pink mesh choker? We’re obsessed, and also completely bummed: this choker doesn’t ship to the US! Looks like we’ve got some DIY-ing to do…
5. Thanks Collar ($330): Made of solid sterling silver, this simple choker necklace will remain a relevant accessory way longer than most other trendy trinkets. We can’t think of an occasion in which you can’t rock this stunning piece.
6. Mother of Pearl Choker Necklace ($38): With iridescent, pearl-style panels and a soft scalloped edge, this might just be the choker we’ve been dreaming of. Laying low(er) on the neckline, it’s a go-to accessory for amping up your everyday outfit.
7. Majes Necklace ($45): We’re totally taken with the way the blue faux-leather is woven through a labyrinth of winding chain. This number is totally adjustable, so you can rock it choker-length one day or extend its chain the next—worn either way, it’s a winner.
8. Triangle Charm Choker Necklace ($25): We couldn’t write a choker roundup without going just a little goth :) The polished curved bars keep this necklace chic, while the triangle pendant is right on trend.
9. Asos Fine Seedbead Choker Necklace ($11): This layered seed bead choker is all kinds of cute. We’re smitten with the mix of orange and gold, though Asos sells this delicate piece in yellow and black, too.
10. Aurelie Bidermann Braided Silk Gold Necklace ($618): While we’re truly taken with this beautiful braided choker necklace (that mix of green, gold, and teal thread is right on!), we can in no way shovel out that much dough (yowza!). Good thing you can totally make your own copycat choker with our braided chain Brit Kit for just $25!
11. AOKO SU Lash Collar Necklace ($200): One word: YES. This super minimal goldtone collar is one serious head turner.
12. Priscilla Necklace ($448): Ohh! Pops of bright blue crystals and a bold geometric pendant, all on one shiny gold plated chain: this might be the prettiest choker we’ve seen yet.
13. Septum Collar ($90): We bet you didn’t know you needed a septum choker in your life, huh? Spiked ends give it some edge, while a rose gold finish keeps it feminine.
14. Peppercotton Princess Choker ($480): We just couldn’t pass up the wild mix of colors on this mesh and vintage crystal choker, complete with a contrast micro bib collar. Rave on!
What are your thoughts on the choker comeback? Are you happy to see ’90s trends rearing their rad heads in modern fashion? Tell us in the comments below.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.