3 New Ways to Wear a Scarf
For the most part, we’re used to wearing two types of scarves: cold weather saviors like snoods, blanket scarves and thick-knit wraps and their breezier summer cousins that are light, breathable and luxe. This fall, get ready for some new kids on the block (and for your scarf selection to triple). New York Fashion Week — both Spring and Fall 2015 — ushered in three new scarf styles that are bound to become your secret weapon accessory as soon as now. Trust us, you’ll want to skip the statement necklace once you see these latest scarf trends.
Faux Fur Stole
Your neckline just got a lot more glamourous. Think of it as the easiest — and now most ahead-of-the-curve — way to wear the faux fur trend.
Creatures of the Wind, Photo via Arun Nevader/Getty; J.Crew Photo via Fernanda Calfat/Getty; Kate Spade New York, Photo via Jemal Countess
1. ASOS Faux Fur Scarf With White Stripe ($56): This pink striped number is the perfect candidate for the high-fashion shoulder drape, or even for styling across your bod. For the latter, secure it with a waist belt to keep it in place and bump up your street style points just like that.
2. Jocelyn Stripe Knitted Infinity Scarf ($240): Wrap this monochrome scarf around your neck and pair it with any brightly colored peacoat to make a serious snowy-weather statement. The same styling would work in fall or the early days of spring with a denim jacket.
3. Missguided Wednesday Colour Block Faux Fur Scarf ($32): Let this color blocked number hang loose around your neck for maximum impact. It’s a great pick-me-up for neutral-toned outerwear.
If you’re not in a ‘70s state of mind already this season, this scarf style will take you there.
J. Mendel, Photo via Slaven Vlasic/Getty; Rachel Zoe, Photo via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty; Tory Burch, Photo via Slaven Vlasic
4. ASOS Short Skinny Scarf in Metallic Knit ($19): Channel your inner rock star with this tapered metallic scarf that will add edge to everything from your plain white tee to your LBD.
6. House of Fraser Linea Python Print Skinny Cashmink Scarf ($19): We’re obsessed with the J. Mendel way to style a skinny scarf like a faux turtleneck (genius!), so give it a try with this tasseled number and your favorite tank or off-the-shoulder top.
Don’t think Wild West. Do think American in Paris It-girl accessory. If that can’t convert you, these styles will.
7. Bando Urban Twist Scarf ($20): Grab this silky two-toned scarf when your more elegant outerwear is missing something on that fancy date night or drinks with clients.
8. Urban Renewal Vintage Well Worn Bandana Scarf ($6): Take cool-girl style to the next level with the accessory your moto jacket never knew it needed. Learn the front-neck tie (not the cowboy drape) when pairing an actual bandana with denim.
9. Rockins Purple Paisley Skinny Mitred Silk Scarf ($136): Knot this paisley-print scarf around your neck and let its ends hang loose for a style that works around the clock. Think: falling out of your trench during your morning commute, draped over your V-neck blouse at your desk then, flung to the side over a cami at happy hour.
What’s your favorite way to style a scarf? Tell us in the comments below.