While we rely on routines to make our mornings more efficient, we’re also careful to make sure the time-saving rituals don’t get us stuck in a rut. That’s especially true of getting dressed for work, which is almost too easy to gloss over once your closet is stocked with 9-to-5 staples. But this fall, a blazer + button up + tailored pants doesn’t have to be your only easy office-bound options. New York Fashion Week has introduced us to a whole new set of workwear ready to shake up our daily uniforms. Consider these 12 pieces below your #Girlboss go-tos next season.
1. Extra-Extra Wide Legged Trousers: If your pants don’t look like a voluminous ball gown, then they’re not wide enough. But that doesn’t mean tailoring shouldn’t be as considered as when it comes to your classic menswear-inspired pairs. Like the extra-extra wide bottoms at the J.Crew presentation, details like fit, pleating and hemming make all the difference between looking fashion-forward and unintentionally sloppy. (Photo via Fernanda Calfat/Getty)
2. Not-So Preppy Polo Shirts: This fall, you’ll be swapping your turtlenecks for collared knits, which have been given a makeover of She’s All That proportions. Think: better-than Rugby stripes, 3D embellishments and unexpected hardware like zippers in place of traditional buttons — all elements that make polos step outside of its ultra preppy comfort zone — and we approve. (Photo via Fernanda Calfat/Getty)
3. All Colorful Everything: You’ve done it all season long with winter whites; now take that matchy-matchy vibe to a more colorful place with bolder versions of your office staples as seen at the Banana Republic presentation. It’s the easiest way to hack a suit without splurging on a tailored set. (Photo via Jemal Countess/Getty)
4. Dorky Flats: Nerd out: dorky loafers are the new cool kid shoe. Whether they’re traditional pennys or designed to feel more of-the-moment with a platform sole or more elegant pointed toe, they’re guaranteed to add a wink of charm to your outfit. (Photo via Jemal Countess/Getty)
5. Feminine Oxfords: Menswear-inspired lace ups get a quirky feminine twist with textural elements like sparkly embellishments and a smooth patent leather finish brought to you by (of course) Kate Spade New York. Take it one step further and swap out the laces for a set in a cute contrast color. (Photo via Cindy Ord/Getty)
6. Next-Level Plaid: When it comes to office wear, plaid is typically a minimal pattern, muted like tweed or worn as a springy gingham. That changes this fall, when the pattern takes over every bit of your 9-to-5 best like tailored pants and blazers and solidifies its time in the spotlight with eye-catching, office-appropriate sparkle. (Photo via Cindy Ord/Getty)
7. Long-Line Knits Are the New Blazer: Looking like a #Girlboss just got a whole lot cozier. Leave the stiff blazer at home and instead take a long-line cardigan out for a stroll. Just follow these easy style hacks to keep it from feeling frumpy: 1. Choose a piece in a rich color or unexpected texture (or both!); 2. Pair it with a skirt that’s the same hem length — it’ll feel more seamless; and 3. Cinch it at the waist with belt for the ultimate chic statement. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
8. Belts Aren’t Just for Bottoms: As we mentioned above, belts are thinking outside the belt loops this fall to give a more figure-flaunting shape to oversized tops and layers like sweaters, cardigans, blazers and vests. Consider the unexpected but ultimately flattering placement the mark of a fashion girl this fall. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
9. Knits on Knits: According to Michael Kors, there’s lots of cozy to look forward to this fall. With knits layered on top of knits (on top of knits!) panning out to be a full-fledged trend — not just a “stay warm” tactic — be prepared to consider a ribbed scarf as much as a workwear essential as your sweater. (Photo via JP Yim/Getty)
10. The Weekday Cape: This is when fall outerwear sheds its bulky, unglamorous stigma. Because who hasn’t dreamed of commuting in a cape? Come September, well be living the dream, ladies. (Photo via JP Yim/Getty)
11. Casual Friday #Firsts: Don’t make your Casual Friday denim so predictable. This fall, there will be so many more options than skinnies versus boyfriend jeans. Try more eccentric — and projected to be on-trend — silhouettes like waders or flares, or forget pants altogether and do the Karen Walker runway proud with a dark denim skirt or retro-inspired dress. (Photo via Albert Urso/Getty)
12. Non-Boring Ankle Boots: Ankle boots have become so ubiquitous in brown or black they’re borderline #basic (eek!). But you — the bootie lover — can take a *step* in a more fashion-forward direction with a pair in a refreshingly bold hue that will give your black pencil skirt the jolt it needs. (Photo via Albert Urso/Getty)
What fall workwear trends are you looking forward to sporting? Tell us in the comments below.