One of the best parts about being a newlywed couple is that you get to create a life together. That means building a home and starting your own traditions. As the holidays approach, now is the time to adopt new traditions, whether that means continuing rituals from your childhood or making up entirely new ones. Today, in collaboration with our friends at Keurig, we’ve got 10 traditions to share that will fill your home with holiday cheer. Our shop buyer Alicia and her husband Michael joined us to make this shoot come to life. As newlyweds themselves, they are almost too cute to handle.
Got your cup o’ Joe? Great. Now let’s talk about traditions.
1. Deck your halls with some hall-iday spirit! Now that your house is spick and span, make merry by adding red accents. This includes switching out your linens, using red and white plates and even getting out any red appliances you have. The Keurig® 2.0 K200 Brewing System’s strawberry color is the perfect addition to your countertop. Oh how we love a kitchen with pops of red!
2. Instead of spring cleaning, do a winter sweep. Who wants to clean when the sun is out anyways? Dedicate a snow day to decluttering your home with your boo. The Keurig® 2.0 K200 Brewing System is perfect because it’s small and compact, so it won’t clutter your kitchen countertop.
Take unwanted items and do good together by donating them to charity as a way to give back during the holidays.
3. Pick out the perfect tree for your space. You and your S.O. might have eyes for a large fir tree, but it might not make sense if you live in a small house. So, celebrate the classic tradition of picking out a Christmas tree for your home, but go for a tiny tree this holiday season. With fewer branches to fill, a small tree is also perfect for that ornament collection you just started :)
Watching Alicia laugh at Michael pretending to eat the donut ornament was just too much.
Make your first annual Christmas card to send out to friends and family.Halloween couples costume like Alicia and Michael? If not, get dressed up and have a photo shoot. When it’s time to send out your card, no need to get everyone’s addresses — just make a digital version to share over social media.
5. Have a craft day and make your own ugly Christmas sweaters. Ugly sweaters are the new little black dress when it comes to holiday party attire, so you and your mister each need one to wear one at all of the upcoming holiday shindigs. Rather than scouring thrift stores for that perfect knit piece, spend time being creative together. Gather supplies like jingle bells, trim, patches and sequins, and DIY your own ugly sweater.
Alicia’s adding an A+M heart to Michael’s sweater — straight lovebird status.
Have a movie marathon!Green Mountain Coffee® Holiday Blend in hand and a compulsory bowl of popcorn, and watch a ’90s holiday movie for 12 nights leading up to Christmas, including Home Alone, Tim Allen’s The Santa Clause, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (it was ’89, but we think it counts!) and The Nightmare Before Christmas. It’s a chance to reminisce on your favorite childhood memories together. Whoever does the best impression of Kevin’s “Aaaaah!” face gets to pick out the next movie.
7. Make Advent Calendars for each other. Thinking back on childhood, many of us have fond memories of our advent calendars. Who needs an alarm clock when you’ve got a surprise waiting for you each morning?
8. Throw an annual house party and show your friends that you and your boo can host with the most. Set up a DIY beverage station that allows your guests to have their coffee just the way they like it. The compact Keurig® 2.0 K200 Brewing System will help make setup and entertaining easy since it allows you to brew every beverage you love in under a minute, at the touch of a button.
Delight guests by offering a variety of barista-quality coffee flavors at home with the new Green Mountain Coffee® Coffeehouse collection, which includes cafe-inspired Vanilla Latte, Cappuccino and Salted Caramel Macchiato, impressively frothy beverages made with real ingredients.