Considering the same ol’ baby-blue cake with a stork wearing a weird little diaper that’s held up with bunny-shaped safety pins on it? Don’t be the BFF who shows up to the baby shower with a boring cake. Forget about the chickies, duckies, and blue and pink bubble letters. It’s time for a cake with real style — at least with something more than “Congrats” written on it in icing. Hey, sometimes a baby shower cake doesn’t have to look like a “baby shower cake.” If you’re looking for something that says, “I’m not a minivan mom,” then we’ve got a few sweet treats for you!
1. Funfetti Cake: No, we’re not talking about the kind that comes from the can in the baking aisle of your local grocery store. This is a much more grown-up version that comes complete with chocolate ganache. Well… as grown up as something covered in rainbow sprinkles can be. (via Liv for Cake)
2. Maple Belgian Waffle Cake: Your preggo friend has all kinds of, um, sort-of-interesting cravings. A breakfast for dessert that comes complete with a pat of butter on top is definitely the perfect mama-to-be shower surprise. (via Sprinkle Bakes)
4. Fried Chicken Cookie Pop Cake: Whoa! Again, mamas-to-be are all-in for unexpected food combos, and this one takes the cake (pun totally intended). Spoiler alert: Those aren’t real chicken drumsticks on top — they’re cake pops. But they look real, and that’s where that rad factor comes in. (via Raspberri Cupcakes)
5. Salted Chocolate Pretzel Ice Cream Cake: This ice cream cake has just about everything the mama of the hour wants, all in one place (hold the pickles please). Ditch the cutesy shower cakes of the past, and try this absolutely awesome cake creation that combines sweet and salty. Ah, every pregnant mama’s dream culinary couple. (via Oh, Ladycakes)
6. S’mores Layer Cake: The campfire treat changes shape and magically transforms into a chic cake: It’s cool, it’s creative, and it doesn’t look anything like what you’d typically see at a shower. But it’s also kind of perfect — especially if you have a summer or outdoorsy theme going on. (via Brown Eyed Baker)
7. Guava Chiffon Cake: Let’s say you absolutely, positively need a pink cake at your shower. There’s no hard rule saying that you need a pretty-princess frosting-monster creation. Not only is this option pink, but it’s totally not fussy and made with yummy, yummy guava puree. (via Baking Bites)
8. Blue Hawaiian Layer Cake: Maybe you’re in desperate need of a baby-boy-blue cake. Here you go! Sure, it’s blue… but, it’s so, so, so much more. This little slice of the tropics gets the color you want without looking anything like your typical shower cake. (via Sprinkle Bakes)
9. Donut Wall: Just in case you’re totally against the traditional cake, this donut wall is completely different. You can dress it up in sweet treats in whatever colors you want to match your theme and use it as part of the shower decor. (via Lauren Alisse Photography/100 Layer Cake)
What’s your dream baby shower cake? Tweet us your fave @BritandCo!