Olivia Palermo is a pro at offbeat style pairings, putting together some of the most dynamic street style looks with unlikely pieces that, once seen on her, might as well be considered your next must-haves (a fringe midi skirt and lace up knee high boots? Add both to cart). So when she slipped on a white blouse and jeans, it of course wasn’t your average shirt and denim pairing. OP’s cream asymmetric-cut top, which clinched at the waist with satin belt and would have felt right at home over a black velvet maxi skirt or voluminous culottes, made her wide-legged jeans feel more like a modern pantsuit than the stuff of casual Fridays.
The proof that not all blouses are created equal sparked a hunt here at Brit + Co for more white tops worthy of dressing up our denim. Our *top* picks are below, all of them a giant step above your average button down. Just pair them with your favorite jeans to complete the Olivia-approved day-to-night look.
1. Forever 21 Layered Chiffon Blouse ($20): This asymmetric top might be the closest (+ cheapest) version of OP’s own. DIY a belt out of cream satin ribbon to completely hack the look.
2. Zara Blouse With Bow on Collar ($60): The vintage bow collar is reimagined as a modern blouse embellishment with thin straps and metallic ends, adding just the right amount of bling to the frilly front.
3. COS Sheer Panel Top ($69): This minimal take on a not-so-basic blouse is still insanely striking thanks to its sporty mesh panels that run from collar to hip, creating a flattering faux silhouette that effortlessly elongates your bod.
4. Mango Violeta Chain Flowy Blouse ($90): The gold chain detail along the shoulders is an unexpected accent that we’re obsessed with. It’s a clever way to pull together the rest of your delicate everyday jewels, from thin cuffs to stacking rings.
5. Topshop Ruffle Front Blouse ($68): Finally, ruffles that aren’t so… ruffle-y. The gradual, asymmetric draping from shoulder to hip makes this crew-neck top exude elegance.
6. kate spade new york Bow Placket Silk Blouse ($278): Adding a black tie twist to your denim has never been easier (or cuter). For those obsessed with the adorable appliques but not looking to a splurge, DIY the bows with ribbon and clip on the placket over each button on a blouse you currently own.
7. Forever 21 Ruffle-Trimmed Blouse ($20): A nod to Olivia’s penchant for boho flair, this blouse strikes the ultimate balance between breezy and chic. Its ruffle-trimmed sleeves give a feminine feel to an outfit anchored by distressed denim, and don’t even get us started on those tassels.
8. HD in Paris Scalloped Remi Blouse ($88): The wrap blouse gets a girly makeover with fluttering scalloped trim, making this quite possibly the daintiest way to wear a plunging neckline ever. Tuck it into a high-waisted pair and scrunch up the sleeves to keep the vibe easy.
What turned-up basics are you searching for this season? What’s your favorite way to dress up jeans? Tell us in the comments below.
(Image via Olivia’s Style)