Few people could convince us that fringe is an everyday wear kind of detail. But Olivia Palermo can. The full-fledged fashion muse has made a solid case time and again for the tasseled styles with her refined, yet unfussy approach to the trend — always nodding to bohemian-style, but magically, in her hands, also strikingly fashion-forward — showing how effortlessly the stringy embellishments can add drama to any outfit, day or night. And with the NYFW staple as your go-to guide, you too can nail this frilly look for fall. Scroll through for sartorial inspiration from six times OP wow-ed us in fringe + the lookalike staple pieces you need.
1. Fringe Jacket: This ’80s biker babe staple is reimagined as a modern badass cover up that still gives any outfit that extra edge. Whether you choose a version in suede or faux leather ($80), make sure its cut is cropped and its shape is boxy.
2. Fringe Dress: Yes, you totally can wear a fringe dress and not look like a Gatsby fangirl. All it takes is a little bit of stylistic effort — finding the right dress ($298) (aka not a drop-waist shift) and accessorizing it unmistakably 2015 from head to toe — try chunky pumps, a delicate necklace and a #wokeuplikethis pony.
3. Fringe Shoes: Liv is famous for for her playful style touches, like the unexpected pop of color from her strappy tassel heels in an otherwise all-black get up (this girl knows how to wear shoes). As you can see, a pair of fringed flats ($138) can amp up a ho-hum ensemble to enviable levels.
4. Fringe Coverup + Necklace: This might be the chicest way to layer ever. Take a cue from Olivia and toss on a fringy statement coat — we’d opt for a knee-length kimono ($40) in almost any case — and be sure to bring the boudoir-to-the-bar look together with a tasseled necklace in a matching hue.
5. Fringe Skirt + Belt: Always keep in mind that an asymmetric hem is key to pulling off a fringed skirt ($72) in an effortlessly modern way. Keep the entire look eclectic by pairing it with a plaid shirt (genius move, Liv) and a statement belt (with more tassels!). If you don’t already have a go-to strapper, consider this your official call to action.
6. Fringe Bag: Investing in a killer fringe bag ($48) is hands down the easiest way to incorporate the trend into your wardrobe this fall. Clutch, crossbody or bucket bag — it doesn’t matter. As long as the fringe is flowing, you can’t go wrong!
Are you freaking out over fringe? Tell us which Liv-approved ways are your favorite in the comments below.