20 Ways to Wear the Biggest Trends from the People’s Choice Awards
Last night the People’s Choice Awards officially kicked off award show season, and with it, stirred our obsession with red carpet style out of hibernation. As for the celebrities in attendance, the major entrances never paused. Stars dazzled in styles that hit the mark with glam red carpet staples — the floor length gowns and glittering dresses were all swoon-worthy — and even the more unconventional looks, like head-to-toe white and oh yes, pants on the red carpet, felt on-point. Let’s just say, they’re trends you’re gonna want to tackle for your next winter party. See the biggest trends from the People’s Choice Awards below, and peep (and shop) 20 lookalikes below.
JUMPSUITS + SUITS
When draped like a dream and tailored to a tee, menswear-inspired pieces like jumpsuits and suits can feel decidedly feminine, especially thanks to details like sexy cutouts, plunging necklines.
1. Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting: Kaley’s black and white culotte jumpsuit might be our favorite red carpet look from the Big Bang Theory star yet. If you can’t find a onesie that’s color blocked and cropped, we’d pick the color over the cut and search for a two-toned number like this findersKEEPERS Like Smoke Colorblock Jumpsuit ($195), which nails the color combo plus has similar peek-a-boo cutouts. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
2. Ellen Pompeo: The Grey’s Anatomy actress wears a nude jumpsuit flawlessly — it’s not too tight, it’s not too revealing and thanks to its pinky tone, doesn’t look like she’s baring it all. No matter your skin tone, a flowy blush-nude jumpsuit like ASOS’ Playsuit With Sleeves ($42) should look just as classy. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
3. Bella Thorne: 17-year old Disney star Bella shows that looking good in a suit is all about having it fit like butter. Get the same body-hugging feel and instant ’70s vibe by hacking her two piece with a single button black blazer over a plunging jumpsuit like this Solace Rossi Stretch Crepe Jumpsuit ($187). Fashion tape sold separately. (Photo via Michael Buckner/Getty)
4. Portia de Rossi: It might be impossible to find a jumpsuit with Portia’s web-like cutouts, so take a cue from her color and snatch up a true blue fitted onesie like Missguided’s Madeleine Halterneck Jumpsuit ($23). You could always bring more attention to your midriff with a lariat or body chain. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
5. Melissa McCarthy: The easiest way to punch up a classic blazer and pant combo? Choose a jacket with a leather lapel. We have Melissa to thank for this foolproof styling reminder. Now all you have to do is grab the dressy piece — try a cropped version like this Carmakoma Tailored Blazer ($156) and wear it with a high-low hem top. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
6. Ariel Winter: The Modern Family actress is wearing the blazer dress like it never went out of style (and it won’t anytime soon — it’s destined to be worn over fancy pants). If you’re crazy for this style, you’re better off splurging on a tailored-for-the-trend dress like this Line & Dot Angelina Tuxedo Dress ($159) than trying to hack the look with the long blazer you already have. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
Head-to-toe white is officially a winter style staple. Besides giving any outfit a bright, current feel — red carpet-bound or otherwise — the crisp color can even downplay a sartorial misstep (sorry Anna Faris), making it a saves-the-day option for fashion risk takers.
7. Ginnifer Goodwin: This minimalist dress packs a punch with volume (we mean aside from being a stunning pearly white), so to recreate this look, grab a full midi like Missguided’s Auberta White Pleated Midi Skirt ($38), which anchors the Once Upon a Time actress’ outfit. Keep it fun but not too girly with a crisp frill-free top. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
8. Renee Bargh: Take note: the Australian television presenter is wearing a lace sheath over a romper. If you can’t DIY the look with a bodysuit and sheer but chic cover up, the new standard lace dress — you’ve seen ’em, the ones that show the raw lace edge over a slip, should be your go-to. The Keepsake I Will Wait Dress ($228) is definitely a keeper. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
9. Anna Faris: All we can say is that co-host Anna went for it with the peplum hems. We’d reinterpret this over-the-top look with a dress that boasts big ruffles in unexpected (but still flattering) places like on this structural ASOS Ruffle Bonded Texture Body Con Dress ($42). (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
AWARD SHOW GLIMMER
Metallic patterns are having a moment, ranging from simple stripes to ornate geometric designs that add extra sparkle to already exquisite gowns. Even the more subtle silky shimmers turned heads with the rest of them.
10. Sarah Hyland: Not only is the pale blue color of Sarah Hyland’s sparkler a perfect take on icy blue, but the intricate beading makes this simple silhouette something special on the Modern Family actress. Look for a dress like the Forever21 Sequined Bodycon Dress ($35) that doesn’t just set the sequins in straight rows to up the impact. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
11. Iggy Azalea: Our favorite crop top of the night goes to Favorite Hip Hop Artist winner Iggy Azalea: it’s full of glitz, but at the same time so wearable. A jeweled, oversized top like Nasty Gal’s Sienna Embellished Top ($68) is both a perfect match for the “Beg For It” singer’s wide-legged trousers as it will be for high-waisted ripped jeans. (Photo via Kevin Winter/Getty)
12. Bellamy Young: The shimmer is almost hidden from the Scandal star’s cocktail dress, but look closely at Bellamy’s sleeves and you’ll catch a golden shine. Play up the understated luxe with a dress that effortlessly mixes black and gold like with the lace overlay on this Day Birger Mikkelsen Gray Day Weave Dress ($175). (Photo via Michael Buckner/Getty)
13. Gabrielle Union: The slip dress has not gone away for the winter. Gabrielle’s silky maxi feels more substantial thanks to the eye-popping fuchsia color, which was the unofficial color of the night (see: Kristen Bell). Look for a slinky version of the Top 5 actress’ dress that can be worn casually over a black tee or glamorously on its own, like this Motel Rock Swallow Tail Slip Dress ($60). (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
14. Olivia Munn: Olivia’s midi is a playful (and glamorous) twist on a preppy staple. Don’t know about you, but we kind of wish all sequins came in stripes like Zara Sequined Striped Dress ($26). (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
Ruffles and tulle and lace, oh my! These ultra girly details made for one fairy tale of a red carpet with full and flowy dresses that nodded to decades’ past without feeling too vintage-y.
15. Stana Katic: Floral prints are one thing, but the Castle star’s gown channels spring with cheery petal appliqués that popped right off of her bodice — a high-fashion detail that elevates any dress to wow-worthy status like this Chi Chi Plus 3D Floral Lace Bandeau Maxi Dress ($114). (Photo via Christopher Polk/Getty)
16. Camilla Luddington: The contrast of silky panels and tulle tiers turn the Grey’s Anatomy actresss’ vintage-feeling dress into an of the moment masterpiece. With a mesh neckline mixed into this flared ModCloth Sense of Efflorescence Dress ($50), the frock feels similarly fresh. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
17. Kristin Bell: Yep, one of the best looks of the night was a hot pink post-baby look (and how could you not love husband Dax Shepard’s matchy burgundy suit?). We found a shell top dress in that same jaw-dropping hue — this ASOS Pencil Dress in Shell Top With Texture ($80)– we’ll leave it to you to find the impossibly cute date. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
18. Kat Dennings: Goth girls love lace, too, and the 2 Broke Girls star shows what an angsty masterpiece black lace can be. Look for a dress with short raw edge sleeves to keep the moodiness under control like on this Kimchi Blue Lace Jan Jan Mini Dress ($50). (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
19. Giuliana Rancic: The E! host brings back the prom dress in the best way possible, a chic mint monochrome with sharp matte embellishments. We choose to copy the color over the cut with this Forever 21 Piqué Bodycon Dress ($13) that’s spring-ready as ever. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
20. Caitriona Balfe: We never tire of capes on the red carpet, and the Outlander actress’ version of the winged LBD is one almost any woman can see themselves in. Keep the cape short and flirty like on this Junarose Cape Sleeve Dress ($95). (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
What were your favorite looks from last night’s award show? Share your best and worst dressed picks in the comments below.