All the Power Dressing Inspo You Need to Get Sh*T Done
Nasty women and fashion-forward femmes everywhere know that the right outfit can give you the boost you need to take on the workday like a boss. And even if your nine-to-five wardrobe is well-stocked with an endless supply of classic pantsuits, trend-right button downs, and embellished slippers, constant inspo is essential to keep your down-to-business duds feeling fresh. Consider your sartorial prayers answered — we’ve scoured Instagram to find 16 rad looks that’ll keep your on-the-job style routine on lock — so you can focus your attention on climbing the corporate ladder.
1. Souped-Up Suit: Nothing says boss lady quite like a power suit. But instead of teaming it with a snoozy button-down or bow-neck blouse, take cues from style blogger Megan Ellaby and layer a belted suit coat over a zip-up sweater for a fierce athleisure-inspired ensemble that’s guaranteed to impress.
2. Mix-and-Match: According to Veras CEO Rebecca Vera Stahnke, pattern play shouldn’t be reserved solely for off-duty hours. Jazz up your on-the-job uniform by swapping out everyday basics with bright blouses and textured trousers to kick-start those creative vibes. Bonus points for metallic steppers and statement jewelry that lend an artistic quality to your work edition #OOTD.
3. Polished Pajamas: PJs can indeed look polished — just ask stylist Emili Sindlev. To keep the look feeling boardroom rather than bedroom, start with luxe fabrics and sharp silhouettes. Layering is key — slip a turtleneck underneath the top or slide a blazer on over the shoulders to bring the sophistication level up to par. Finish with a neat topknot and abstract earrings FTW.
4. Statement Sleeves: Follow Tine Andrea’s lead and give after-dark essentials such as a slinky slip a by-day makeover with statement sweaters (see those sleeves? Swoon). The combination of fancy and fuss-free duds strikes the perfect balance of street-style edge and working-girl elegance that’ll land your nine-to-five outfit miles ahead of your suit-sporting coworkers.
5. Jazzy Joggers: Even on days when you just can’t even, you still have to live up to fashion-forward expectations — which means sweats and sneakers are out. Introducing the laid-back ensemble that’s about to become your workweek savior. Tailored track pants and an oversized sweater take on a supremely fashionable tone when teamed alongside classic pumps, a turtleneck, and flashy drop earrings.
6. Bold Belts: Corsets at the office? Yes, indeed. The trendy cincher has been cropping up in unexpected places as of late (layered over sweatshirts and oversized tees), and we think we’ve finally found a practical application of the accessory for your gig, thanks to blogger babe Stephanie Arant. The don’t-mess accent adds extra polish to a standard midi skirt and blouse, while breaking up the monotony of the earth tone palette.
7. Elevated Basics: Every working girl needs a handful of outfits she can turn to when she only has five minutes. Consider this #OOTD it. Atlanta-based blogger Monica Awe-Etuk proves that great style doesn’t require a closet full of trendy pieces. A great pair of wide-leg trousers, a feminine blouse, and a few versatile accessories are all it takes to knock your nine-to-five style out of the park.
8. Show-Stopping Stripes: There’s a reason Diane von Furstenberg’s wrap dress is still relevant — the ladylike silhouette looks fly on everyone, and its one-and-done potential is just too good to pass up. When you’re strapped for time, do like Blair Eadie and pair yours with pointed-toe pumps and a skinny silk scarf. C’est chic in seconds.
9. Bows, Baby: Don’t be afraid to embrace frilly feminine details in fear of compromising your girl-on-a-mission edge. Armed with a black turtleneck, oversized watch (styled smartly over the sleeve), and stunner shades, Ranti Onayemi-Blanchard proves that bows can be just as badass as a set of studs or pinstripes.
10. Jump on It: We’ve said it once, and we’ll say it again: Anytime is a good time to rock a jumpsuit — your nine-to-five included. A printed blouse effortlessly renders a sultry plunge style daytime ready, with block-heel Mary Janes and a sleek watch solidifying its status as your latest workweek standby.
11. Casual Friday Cool: Bust out the denim, baby — it’s casual Friday. Maintaining some degree of polish is, of course, required, but that’s where a Prince of Wales jacket and metallic kitten heels come in. Instant elegance.
12. Checks, Mate: Okay, we’ll admit it — we suckers for granny-chic style, which is exactly why Sandra Semburg’s old-school-meets-new-school ensemble made its way onto this list. Can we just talk about those high-waisted trousers for a second? Goals, people, goals. A pair of double-sided pearl earrings and a perfectly applied cat-eye would feel right at home, balancing out the getup’s boyish vibe.
13. Cinched Shirts: Social butterflies, brace yourselves: Nicole Warne’s FROW outfit is what your office-to-after-hours routine has been missing. By day, the getup takes on a down-to-business tone with the help of statement studs and a longline jacket. At quitting time, it takes on a totally new ‘tude with the help of sassy sandals and sparkly chandelier earrings.
14. Gone Gingham: We’re not sure what we love most about Anh’s refined retro-inspired ensemble. The palazzo trousers and gingham trench are straight-up working-girl gold, but it just might be the petite top-handle bag that has us swooning the most.
15. ’70s Chic: The fashion world’s obsession with the ’70s is on the wane, but we couldn’t let this little piece of throwback paradise go unnoted. This classy combo can easily be worn on its own with block-heel ankle boots and asymmetric earrings for a day spent slashing a long to-do list, or alongside a sleeveless blazer and stilettos for a look with serious desk-to-drinks potential.
16. Power Pink: Who runs the world? Girls. Show ’em who’s boss at your next board meeting by strutting into the office, portfolio in hand, in a bold pink suit. It’s at once androgynous, fanciful, and functional. In other words, the dream. Pandora Skyes would agree.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!