As you make an effort to retire certain trends from 2016 (cough, cough, harness belts), it’s time to kick things off with a blank slate. Enter the era of the nasty woman, as power suits finally see the light of day in 2017. We’re calling it NOW. They get our vote for both boardroom-ready and after-hours appeal — and by after-hours, we specifically mean cocktail o’clock. Besides the sartorial prowess factor (me-ow!), we’re all in when it comes to women breaking the glass ceiling one stylish pantsuit at a time. While celebrities have been slaying in Red Carpet-ready suits for a while now — and let’s not forget Hilary’s debate pantsuit that played a crucial role in setting the political landscape for the election cycle — it’s about time this slay-worthy trend trickled down to the masses. Proceed to stock your boss lady-approved capsule wardrobe with these one-piece wonders that mean serious business. We’ve gathered 18 of our favorite suits (printed, solid, you name it!) that you’ll *actually* want to wear in the new year.
1. Free People Garden Mixed Print Set ($450): Groundbreaking winter floral is officially in the building, people! Combat the elements in style with this resort-ready silk set that will inspire you to linger a wee bit longer. Top it off with a cozy wrap coat and ugly-pretty fuzzy steppers for a getup that’s man-repelling in its own right. We definitely don’t hate it.
2. ASOS Floral Vintage Jacquard Blazer ($91) + ASOS Floral Vintage Jacquard Cigarette Pants ($61): Let it be known: An “all business, no fun” policy is NOT how we run things around here. Never has been, never will be. When a blasé boardroom suit is cramping your style (we feel ya, girl), this floral jacquard suit will jump-start your style resolutions for 2017, especially with some timeless Mary Janes in tow. Because blending in obvs isn’t even an option.
3. J.Crew Campbell Blazer in Super 120S Wool ($248) + Paley Pant in Super 120S Wool ($138): As far as boardroom style conventions go, allow Jenna Lyons (AKA, the queen of power suits) to serve as your style muse of the moment. Kick this cabernet-hued suit into chic territory by styling it alongside a pair of leopard print pumps, some black-rimmed specs and — at the risk of sounding cliché — a pop of color via your #COTD (clutch of the day).
4. Mango Patterned Suit Blazer ($120) + Mango Drawstring Trousers ($80): Wah. You had us at drawstring trousers, especially post-holiday festivities when you’re still trying to get into tip-top shape. Come casual Friday, ditch the suit and tie guise (major snooze) for an unexpected statement tee and old-school kicks.
5. Scotch & Soda Tailored Jacquard Blazer ($225) + Tailored Jacquard Trousers ($135): You walk to the beat of your own drum, and so naturally, a plain Jane suit would never cut it. For an entrance like “whoa,” style this leopard print jacquard suit alongside patent Chelsea boots, a lightweight striped turtleneck and a felt fedora. Forget boardroom-ready — you’ll be all set to hit up a rock concert with a little outfit switcheroo (think: a leather mini, fishnet tights and OTK suede boots).
6. ASOS Ruffle Detail Suit in Navy ($136): Can you say ruffles aplenty? Proceed to channel your inner lady in navy by teaming this dapper suit with a crisp button-down and power pumps before subbing in a plain white tee and Adidas Superstars for a considerably more commuter-friendly look.
7. COS Long Wool Blazer ($190) + Wool Melange Trousers ($115): This *could* be the year of the gray suit. Serving as a reminder that less is so much more, this wool pantsuit consisting of an oversized blazer and relaxed trousers will have you dressing for the office even when you’re off-duty. Pair with minimalist hoop earrings and platform loafers for the look of the season.
8. Mango Pinstripe Suit Blazer ($120) + Mango Striped Trousers ($70): Could menswear-inspired pinstripes be making a comeback in ’17? While only time will tell, we’re not wasting another second trying to predict the unpredictable. *Adds to cart without hesitation for Instababe-approved style on the daily.* Phew. That was easy.
9. Jill C’s Limited Edition Pantsuit ($600): Wearing head-to-toe white in the dead of winter is a bold move that won’t go unnoticed. While this splurge-worthy pantsuit may not be designed for a treacherous snowy commute, it’s game for a wild GNO or a weekend in Vegas. The borrowed-from-the-boys silhouette, combined with the neck-plunging blazer, delivers up just the right amount of sexy for all five-to-nine affairs. Throw some metallic gold ankle boots and a body chain into the equation for a ceaselessly chic getup that slays.
10. Saskia Satin Boxy Pyjama Blazer ($30) + Boohoo Saskia Satin Crop Trouser ($30): ICYMI: 2017 is slated to be the year of millennial pink, and we could not be more pumped. Less bubblegum pink, more power pink, this girly pantsuit is anything but corporate schmorporate (been there, done that). Count us in, please.
11. ASOS Tailored Crepe Suit in Slate Blue ($97): Cure a case of the winter blahs with this tailored slate blue pantsuit that’s begging for an early spring. Unlike the nightmarish suits worn by your granny (hello, dated shoulder pads), this slim-cut set consisting of cigarette trousers and a laid-back chic blazer is practically designed with modern-day #girlbosses in mind.
12. Paper Crown Beijing Blazer ($298) + Paper Crown Manila Pants ($176): Winter weddings? Duh. The job interview of your dreams? Absolutely. File this refined navy tux under what to wear when your trusty LBD has seen far better days. Whether you’re playing the role of an urban sophisticate or are a self-proclaimed CEO, nothing says HBIC like a tailored suit. All that’s missing is a sleek chignon, a top-handle satchel and chunky block heels for a getup that’s ready to hit the pavement.
13. Topshop Soft Geo Print Co-Ord ($190): It’s a Monday, you’ve pressed snooze one too many times and you honestly DGAF about an HR-approved dress code. Introducing the comfortable geo print co-ord that can be tossed on and styled in two seconds flat. Style the separates together for a #winning look or offset the slouchy boyfriend blazer with cropped denim flares and backless mules for a street MVP-worthy getup. Your move.
14. Reiss Musk Jacket Checked Tailored Blazer Grey Check ($465) + Musk Trouser ($245): Give Kate Middleton a run for her money with this gray check suit that redefines power dressing in the modern era. (Pssst: You need not be royalty to pull it off.) Slip it on with a silk blouse and simple pearl studs or dial it down with skinny jeans and riding boots for an equestrian look that’s worthy of the English countryside.
15. ASOS Piped Stripe Pajama Suit ($136): What stuffy boardroom-approved pantsuit? We know nothing of the sort. Proof that pajama-esque dressing is still a thing (praise goodness), these berry-hued piped PJs will take you from enjoying French toast sticks at the breakfast table to crunching numbers at your nine-to-five. Pair with a silk cami, ankle-strap heels and a bold red lip for an I-just-woke-up-like-this look.
16. Free People Libson Luxe Velvet Suit ($268): Party right with this elegant velvet suit that’s guaranteed to dazzle once on the dance floor. It’ll fit the bill for a black tie gala and double down for a romantic candlelit dinner with bae. Besides natural confidence (and a glass of Champs in hand), a set of glam chandelier earrings that catches the moonlight just right will be non-negotiable. It goes without saying: Get it, girl!
17. Tibi Stretch Faille Tuxedo Tie Jacket ($595) + Tibi Stretch Faille Tuxedo Pants ($395): You? Blend in with the crowd? Not as long as this red carpet-ready tux featuring ultra-femme tie sleeves is on standby. Round out your look with bow-topped pumps and dangling statement earrings for a coveted spot on the best-dressed list. Style MVP status won’t be far behind.
18. Babaton Desmond Jacket ($225) + Babaton Floyd Pant ($175): New job, new you, new power suit… or so the saying apparently goes. Show everyone you mean business by investing in this non-stuffy black suit that plays well with crisp white button-downs and menswear-inspired loafers alike for around-the-clock appeal. Kicking butt and taking names has never looked so good.
Will you be test-driving a #girlboss-approved pantsuit in 2017? Follow us on Pinterest for more upcoming style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.