20 Reasons Why Prairie Chic Is the New Boho
Buh-bye, boho — spring is all about prairie chic. The free-wheelin’ look fuses romantic, feminine vibes with a bit of tough-girl edge to deliver an aesthetic that speaks to both your sweet and sassy sides. We’re so there. So what does this Laura Ingalls Wilder-inspired style involve, exactly? Pretty much all of spring 2016’s biggest trends: frilly feminine tops, ditzy floral prints, denim skirts and the ever-essential saddle bag. There’s a lot to love. That said, it’s easy for prairie chic to take a sickly sweet turn, so styling is key. Start with a few ultra chic pieces, like the 20 separates, accessories and shoes below, then throw duds like boyfriend jeans, a leather jacket or an architectural top into the mix to turn the It-girl factor up — Alexa Chung and Kate Bosworth would totally approve.
1. Bash Emy Kimono Dress ($205): Meet the ditzy floral dress you’ll never want to take off. The midi silhouette and long sleeves give it an anytime-appropriate edge that can hold it down at the office with a leather gilet or on date night with strappy sandals and a statement choker necklace.
2. Vintage Bangin’ Bloom Embroidered Wool Vest ($98): Skip the blazer or leather jacket and toss on this embroidered beauty over printed tees and relaxed-fit jeans for a laid-back look that’s ready to take on your weekend agenda.
3. Free People Stay Together Dot Blouse ($148): When your standard office attire starts to feel meh, throw this dainty dotted number into the mix. Styled alongside leather pencil skirts and high-waisted trousers, it’ll keep those mid-week blahs at bay.
4. ASOS Western Fanny Pack ($30): ICYMI: Belt bags are officially a thing. For serious out-West swagger, team it with destroyed denim and cutout boots for an off-duty look.
5. Ecote Circus Dreams Lace-Up Pullover Sweater ($148): Glamping goddesses, listen up! This snuggly sweater was made for campfires and chillin’ under the stars. When you’re out of the woods, toss it over silky joggers and chunky-heeled steppers for the ultimate casual Friday outfit.
6. Express Western Turquoise Embellished Buckle Belt ($40): Not ready to go all out? Tack this turquoise stunner onto an everyday dress with a fringe-flecked bag for instant free-spirited vibes.
7. ASOS Curve Denim Button Through Western Midi Skirt ($52): Cropped flares, step aside! Button-front skirts are the way to do denim, prairie-chic style. DO pair it with red-hot steppers and a roll-neck top for an on-point #OOTD that can be styled on the fly.
8. Madewell Beaded Fringe Necklace ($38): This beaded fringe necklace has your festival style covered. Bringing a pop of fresh color to basics and flowy frocks alike, it’ll keep you rockin’ long after the music stops.
9. Nasty Gal Rough ‘n Tumble Bandana Top ($48): What happens when you take one of this season’s must-have silhouettes — the bow-neck blouse — and inject it with a little Western flair? A versatile top you’ll find any excuse to wear. Pair it with cutoffs and ankle boots to hit the main stage in style, then tuck it into tailored trousers or a pleated midi skirt once the work week rolls around.
10. ASOS Jacket With ’70s Western Fringing ($243): Step aside, biker jackets — this spring we’re all about those suede toppers. Opt for swingy fringe for extra festival-ready vibes, then toss it over cropped jeans and flatform kicks for an It-girl take on Americana.
11. Zara Floral Print Patchwork Scarf ($26): Rock two trends at once with this patchwork scarf overflowing with bright blooms. Belt it over a midi dress for a runway-inspired getup that will turn heads the second you walk into the room.
12. Free People Once Upon a Summertime Romper ($148): Good vibes are a given with this flowy romper on standby. Wear it for leisurely picnics in the park with Birks, round sunnies and a chic wide-brim hat.
13. Steven by Steve Madden Faux Leather Saddle Bag ($85): Whether you’re grabbing drinks with the girls or nibbling pain au chocolats at a cafe, take this dreamy sage saddlebag along for the ride. The subtle ’70s vibe feels right in line with the whole prairie-chic thing and is the ultimate companion to flares and billowy skirts, but can hold its own with dressier duds too.
14. Mango Embroidered Blouse ($60): Stuffy button-downs aren’t the only way to do on-the-job dressing. Tuck this sweet eyelet number into a leather pencil skirt for an ensemble that will take you from desk to drinks, no problem — just add statement kicks and bright red lips.
15. A.P.C. Bertille Skirt ($260): From bridal showers to backyard bashes, this floral skirt has every spring event on your agenda covered. You can dress it up with strappy heels and a structured jacket, or keep it daytime casual with an off-the-shoulder top and lace-up espadrilles.
16. ASOS Alligator Leather Embellished Ankle Boots ($68): Keep a pair of these beaded moccasins on standby for a laid-back cool look that will earn you some serious style cred. Whether you’re wearing rolled-up overalls or an airy A-line dress, you’ll reach for these bad boys every single time.
17. Zara Embroidered Kaftan ($70): Lazy girls, rejoice! This cozy kaftan is the key to perfecting your roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine. Soften a killer #girlboss getup by incorporating this number into any office-approved outfit. Or, for a beach-ready look that requires zero effort, layer it over a bright bikini FTW.
18. Free People Bandana Bolo Necklace ($38): No prairie-chic ensemble is complete without an amped-up bandana on hand. The classic accoutrement gets a major upgrade with the addition of a gilded bolo that’s a little bit Western and a whole lot of wow. Make it pop with a basic tee and a perfectly undone topknot.
19. Topshop Austin Western Bootie ($130): We called it — Western boots are THE stepper you need in your arsenal this season. Style ’em with skinny jeans and a button-down shirt (collar popped), with a sophisticated bolo thrown in for good measure, y’all.
20. ASOS Floral Print Tiered Top ($62): White jeans, metallic platforms and this flirty floral top: This is how the modern minimalist does prairie chic. Pull tresses back into a messy fishtail braid with don’t-care appeal, and dust lids with bronze shadow for an effortless glow.
Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.