20 Reasons Why Prairie Chic Is the New Boho
Buh-bye, boho — spring is all about prairie chic. The free-wheelin’ look fuses romantic, feminine vibes with a bit of tough-girl edge to deliver an aesthetic that speaks to both your sweet and sassy sides. We’re so there. So what does this Laura Ingalls Wilder-inspired style involve, exactly? Pretty much all of spring 2016’s biggest trends: frilly feminine tops, ditzy floral prints, denim skirts and the ever-essential saddle bag. There’s a lot to love. That said, it’s easy for prairie chic to take a sickly sweet turn, so styling is key. Start with a few ultra chic pieces, like the 20 separates, accessories and shoes below, then throw duds like boyfriend jeans, a leather jacket or an architectural top into the mix to turn the It-girl factor up — Alexa Chung and Kate Bosworth would totally approve.
1. Bash Emy Kimono Dress ($205): Meet the ditzy floral dress you’ll never want to take off. The midi silhouette and long sleeves give it an anytime-appropriate edge that can hold it down at the office with a leather gilet or on date night with strappy sandals and a statement choker necklace.
2. Vintage Bangin’ Bloom Embroidered Wool Vest ($98): Skip the blazer or leather jacket and toss on this embroidered beauty over printed tees and relaxed-fit jeans for a laid-back look that’s ready to take on your weekend agenda.
3. Free People Stay Together Dot Blouse ($148): When your standard office attire starts to feel meh, throw this dainty dotted number into the mix. Styled alongside leather pencil skirts and high-waisted trousers, it’ll keep those mid-week blahs at bay.
4. ASOS Western Fanny Pack ($30): ICYMI: Belt bags are officially a thing. For serious out-West swagger, team it with destroyed denim and cutout boots for an off-duty look.
5. Ecote Circus Dreams Lace-Up Pullover Sweater ($148): Glamping goddesses, listen up! This snuggly sweater was made for campfires and chillin’ under the stars. When you’re out of the woods, toss it over silky joggers and chunky-heeled steppers for the ultimate casual Friday outfit.
6. Express Western Turquoise Embellished Buckle Belt ($40): Not ready to go all out? Tack this turquoise stunner onto an everyday dress with a fringe-flecked bag for instant free-spirited vibes.
7. ASOS Curve Denim Button Through Western Midi Skirt ($52): Cropped flares, step aside! Button-front skirts are the way to do denim, prairie-chic style. DO pair it with red-hot steppers and a roll-neck top for an on-point #OOTD that can be styled on the fly.
8. Madewell Beaded Fringe Necklace ($38): This beaded fringe necklace has your festival style covered. Bringing a pop of fresh color to basics and flowy frocks alike, it’ll keep you rockin’ long after the music stops.
9. Nasty Gal Rough ‘n Tumble Bandana Top ($48): What happens when you take one of this season’s must-have silhouettes — the bow-neck blouse — and inject it with a little Western flair? A versatile top you’ll find any excuse to wear. Pair it with cutoffs and ankle boots to hit the main stage in style, then tuck it into tailored trousers or a pleated midi skirt once the work week rolls around.
10. ASOS Jacket With ’70s Western Fringing ($243): Step aside, biker jackets — this spring we’re all about those suede toppers. Opt for swingy fringe for extra festival-ready vibes, then toss it over cropped jeans and flatform kicks for an It-girl take on Americana.
11. Zara Floral Print Patchwork Scarf ($26): Rock two trends at once with this patchwork scarf overflowing with bright blooms. Belt it over a midi dress for a runway-inspired getup that will turn heads the second you walk into the room.
12. Free People Once Upon a Summertime Romper ($148): Good vibes are a given with this flowy romper on standby. Wear it for leisurely picnics in the park with Birks, round sunnies and a chic wide-brim hat.
13. Steven by Steve Madden Faux Leather Saddle Bag ($85): Whether you’re grabbing drinks with the girls or nibbling pain au chocolats at a cafe, take this dreamy sage saddlebag along for the ride. The subtle ’70s vibe feels right in line with the whole prairie-chic thing and is the ultimate companion to flares and billowy skirts, but can hold its own with dressier duds too.
14. Mango Embroidered Blouse ($60): Stuffy button-downs aren’t the only way to do on-the-job dressing. Tuck this sweet eyelet number into a leather pencil skirt for an ensemble that will take you from desk to drinks, no problem — just add statement kicks and bright red lips.
15. A.P.C. Bertille Skirt ($260): From bridal showers to backyard bashes, this floral skirt has every spring event on your agenda covered. You can dress it up with strappy heels and a structured jacket, or keep it daytime casual with an off-the-shoulder top and lace-up espadrilles.
16. ASOS Alligator Leather Embellished Ankle Boots ($68): Keep a pair of these beaded moccasins on standby for a laid-back cool look that will earn you some serious style cred. Whether you’re wearing rolled-up overalls or an airy A-line dress, you’ll reach for these bad boys every single time.
17. Zara Embroidered Kaftan ($70): Lazy girls, rejoice! This cozy kaftan is the key to perfecting your roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine. Soften a killer #girlboss getup by incorporating this number into any office-approved outfit. Or, for a beach-ready look that requires zero effort, layer it over a bright bikini FTW.
18. Free People Bandana Bolo Necklace ($38): No prairie-chic ensemble is complete without an amped-up bandana on hand. The classic accoutrement gets a major upgrade with the addition of a gilded bolo that’s a little bit Western and a whole lot of wow. Make it pop with a basic tee and a perfectly undone topknot.
19. Topshop Austin Western Bootie ($130): We called it — Western boots are THE stepper you need in your arsenal this season. Style ’em with skinny jeans and a button-down shirt (collar popped), with a sophisticated bolo thrown in for good measure, y’all.
20. ASOS Floral Print Tiered Top ($62): White jeans, metallic platforms and this flirty floral top: This is how the modern minimalist does prairie chic. Pull tresses back into a messy fishtail braid with don’t-care appeal, and dust lids with bronze shadow for an effortless glow.
Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)