The thought of fall evokes images of leaves falling from trees, fires in fireplaces, scarves and hot steaming beverages. Those things aside, the number one item that comes to mind is pumpkin. Like, everything pumpkin. From pumpkin patches bursting with gourds to the more obvious pumpkin pie to the drink people crave throughout the year: the Pumpkin Spice Latte.
We are obsessed with all things pumpkin, and rightfully so. This delicious (and good-looking) squash has so much to give. And it’s just that much more special because we only get to indulge for a few months each year. That said, in partnership with Starbucks, we’ve got six reasons why we’re smitten with that lovable orange gourd.
1. The Pumpkin Spice Latte: We think about the PSL all year long, waiting patiently (and sometimes impatiently) for it to show up on the Starbucks menu. Made with Starbucks espresso, real pumpkin, seasonal spices and steamed milk, this drink is the beacon of fall. It combines our favorite drink (coffee) with that classically fall pumpkin essence. It’s the perfect meeting of flavors and is oh-so addictive.
At Brit HQ you can see PSLs littering desks all over the office. Lucky for us, there is a Starbucks on our street corner, so we can easily get refills of our favorite drink.
2. Halloween: If you’ve scanned through the B+C costume tag, you know that we have a thing for Halloween. Clearly our favorite holiday — we just can’t get enough. The sky’s the limit with costumes, decor and recipes. And of course, it’s a celebration of pumpkins. Whether you’re into carving, painting or decorating pumpkins, they are essential for the Halloween spirit.
3. Pumpkin Pie: We are chomping at the bit for a bite of one of the most iconic fall desserts: pumpkin pie. This crowd-pleaser fits perfectly with any fall meal and is sure to bring back fond memories of time spent in the kitchen.
Why are we obsessed? Need we explain? Just take a peek at our Ultimate Pumpkin Pie recipe and all your questions will be answered.
4. Toasted Pumpkin Seeds: While the outside of the pumpkin is beautiful to look at and the meat of the pumpkin is delicious to eat, pumpkins don’t seem to stop giving. The seeds are a treat in themselves. Roasted and salted, they are a great snack on their own and a delicious topping on salad, soup or curry.
5. Pumpkin Centerpieces: Okay, we’ve talked about how good pumpkins taste, so let’s get into how amazing they look. We’re pretty sure that autumn leaves and pumpkins are the reason we see the color orange so often in fall palettes.
Be sure to pick up a few pumpkins to eat and a few for fall decor. Our recommendation: pumpkin centerpieces. Place them on your table in odd numbers (1, 3, 5) and surround them with other fall essentials like leaves, candy corn or even spiders :)
6. No-Carve Pumpkins: Pumpkin carving is a fun activity, but jack-o-lanterns only last for so long. To keep your pumpkins on display for the entire season, we suggest painting them and studding them. For a creative activity, get your pals together and see what cool designs you can come up with. All you need are some pumpkins, studs, acrylic paint, brushes and some painter’s tape to make straight lines.
Are you as obsessed with pumpkin as we are? If so, add your own reason to our list in the comments below.
This post is a collaboration with Starbucks.
Styling: Maddie Bachelder
Photography: Chris Andre