Whether someone is a new grad or a longtime veteran, everyone hopes to love where they work. There are plenty of components to satisfaction with your job, but two of the most key variables are your work/life balance and the people you work alongside. Other than your boss, your most important coworker is probably your #WorkWife, AKA best friend on the job. Your work bestie supports you, pushes you, and — most importantly — always eats lunch with you. Check out these reasons to be grateful for your office-based better half.
1. They’re always in your corner. Depending on where you work, having someone who constantly supports you can be vital to your success. Not everyone in your workplace will 100 percent approve of you or everything you do, but your Work Wife will always be there to encourage your efforts and celebrate your successes.
2. And when they’re not, you have built-in feedback. On your not-so-good days, your Work Wife is there for you with perspective and advice. Sure, your friends and significant other can chime in, but nobody quite knows office situations as well as your Work Wife does. Having guaranteed access to candid-but-kind feedback will challenge and inspire you to be an even better version of yourself.
3. They’re your lunch buddy. Let’s face it: Eating alone (unless you have Netflix to catch up on) is the worst. Your Work Wife is your go-to for weekday lunches. Maybe you two always try new local spots together — or maybe you break out homemade lunches while you catch up on life. Either way, you never have to sit at a cafeteria table by yourself, and that’s a huge win for both of you.
4. They understand industry jokes in ways your regular friends don’t. If your friends are in different lines of work, they might not understand what’s so hilarious about Comic Sans (graphic designers) or why inefficiency is the WORST (industrial engineers). Every job has its own lingo (and jokes to make fun of that lingo), and your Work Wife is one person who speaks your language.
5. They probably have the same boss. You and your Work Wife might have the same boss — meaning you two experience similar work expectations and customs. If your boss is the worst, you’ll have someone who totally understands. If your boss is the best, you’ll have someone to gush with.
6. They know the heights of your goals. The person who watches you work your butt off is the person who knows what you’re aiming for and just how far you’ll go to achieve it. Your Work Wife roots for you, challenges you, and celebrates you when you finally cross something off your professional bucket list.
Why are you grateful for your #WorkWife? Tell us about them @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)