Holiday Gifts for Your S.O. According to Where You Are in Your Relationship
Difficult to shop for doesn’t even begin to describe the pressure felt when searching for the quintessential holiday gift for your S.O. If only it were as easy as scooping up personalized gifts for your squad. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been together — three weeks, five months, or even 10 years — there’s a certain level of expectation that comes along with hunting down the PERFECT gift, if such a thing even exists. You want to knock their socks off with a present they’ll genuinely love (no fake enthusiasm here) and one that ticks all the boxes (functional, stylish and girlfriend-approved). First, we compiled a list of holiday gift ideas for him — ‘cause men are the most difficult to shop for, amirite? — and now we’re back at it with a gift guide geared toward that special someone in your life. Ahead, you’ll find 29 standout gift ideas according to major relationship milestones. This way, everyone wins!
1. Compartes Gingerbread Dark Chocolate Bar ($12): The way to your boo’s heart? We thought you’d never ask. This trendy chocolate shop has been around since 1950 and creates gorgeous new flavors each season. Grab a couple of holiday-themed versions like the Gingerbread Dark Chocolate Bar or the Gourmet Pecan Pie Bourbon Chocolate Bar. It’s the gift that keeps on giving beyond the holidays — especially if you just recently went Facebook-official.
2. Jack & Jones Originals Holidays Sweatshirt With Polar Bear Prints ($34): For the S.O. who already seemingly has everything, it would behoove you to gift this festive polar bear sweater — if not for an upcoming tacky sweater party, then for a chuckle (or three).
3. S’well Hunting Green in 25 oz ($35): Because who doesn’t have a S’well bottle these days? Well, apparently your significant other doesn’t, but they will soon enough. This semi-matte hunter green bottle will keep drinks cold for 24 hours and hot for 12. It will not only serve as an incentive to drink more water but also hold your babe down for a long day at the office, a fist-pumping gym sesh, or a nature hike.
4. Marimo Buttons 80’s Retro Blank VHS Enamel Pin ($10): You’re dating a hipster, a musician, or a bona fide trendsetter with an eclectic sense of style to match. This VHS tape pin will lend instant flair to a leather moto jacket, a grandpa cardigan, or the lapel of a wool coat. Pair it with a floppy disk or He-Man pin for the ultimate throwback.
5. Field Notes Coastal: East Memo Books ($23, Pack of 3): You’re fortunate enough to be coupled up with a creative type who spends many a weekday working from the comfort of a coffee shop. Why not fuel their stream of consciousness with this set of coastal themed notebooks — perfect for random doodles, daily writing prompts, you name it.
6. Pendleton Pom-Pom Beanie ($49): You had us at the cutesy pom, TBH. For a weekend spent at the ski lodge, treacherous morning commutes, and building snowmen (hey, you never know), this patterned knit hat is guaranteed to work overtime to combat a case of the winter blahs. Plus, when teamed alongside a waxed field jacket and duck boots, the result will be nothing short of GQ-worthy — even if you’ve only been dating for a month or so.
7. The Art of Shaving Starter Kit & Bag ($24): Play the practical card with this men’s grooming kit consisting of a pre-shave oil, shaving cream, aftershave balm, shaving brush, and travel bag — AKA everything babe will need for your next trip together.
8. Uniqlo Andy Warhol Soup Can T-Shirt ($15): For the self-proclaimed art enthusiast, this Campbell’s soup can T-shirt will fit the bill just fine. It might even give him some ideas for your next date spot.
9. Uncommon Goods City Map Glass ($16): This city map glass is made for the bourbon enthusiast with a collection of brews that would put any neighborhood dive bar to shame. Etched with the city grid of your choosing (think: your S.O.’s alma mater or old stomping grounds), it would serve as a welcome addition to any at-home bar cart.
You Basically Live Together
10. Urban Outfitters Potted Cactus Neon Sign ($69): Um, hello, why wouldn’t you (or, rather, your better half) want a neon cactus sign? That’s not even a question. It can be used to decorate any boring wall in their house for instant desert vibes. It practically spells commitment.
11. Phaidon Mid-Century Modern Architecture Travel Guide West Coast USA ($35): Y’all have been together long enough for you to recognize your partner’s high-brow tastes in coffee table books. This tome highlighting 250 must-see, architecturally significant sites on the West Coast gets our vote.
12. Stendig Calendar 2019 ($48): The Stendig Calendar (designed by Massimo Vignelli in 1966, natch) may look relatively unassuming at first glance, but the graphic designer in your life will be obsessed with the minimalist design. In fact, they won’t waste any time hanging it up in their home office.
13. Adidas Originals Stan Smith Sneakers ($80): “You got me Stan Smiths?! No way.” We can already sense your S.O.’s excitement at receiving a new pair of kicks. Heck, we’d be excited too. The clean white and green design will straight-up slay on the streets.
14. Need Supply Co. Skateboard Deck ($86): Best girlfriend award goes to you, ‘cause you just snagged the raddest gift EVER. The skater boy (or girl) in your life will la-la-LOVE this artsy screen-printed skateboard that will come in handy when perfecting their next kickflip.
15. Ted Baker London Sands Rubber Leather Card Case ($79): It’s the little things that will make bae’s heart skip a beat. Way more sleek and sophisticated than his old, bulky, Dad-approved wallet, this leather card holder is designed with the modern-day dapper date in mind. It’s slim enough to hold just the essentials, but tailored enough to look legit AF. A must-buy once you’ve hit six-month status.
16. Byredo Sunday Cologne Eau De Cologne ($250): There’s no way homeboy could turn down a new scent, especially when it’s GF-approved. Described as “crisp, woody and aromatic,” Byredo’s “Sunday Cologne” (we even like the name) is made to impress. Whether he’s suited and booted in his Sunday best or doing that off-duty thing he does so well, this cologne is guaranteed to hit the mark.
17. Amazon Echo Dot ($50): File this under most coveted gadget of the season that err’body seems to be asking for. This all-in-one sleek voice-controlled device quite literally has a mind of its own. It’ll play music, work as an alarm clock, and even request an Uber — ask your Echo Dot and you shall receive. Don’t think twice at this price, especially if you have been in it for the better part of a year.
18. Urban Outfitters Multi-Pattern Scarf ($30): All the more to keep bae warm and toasty this winter. This patterned knit scarf is downright cheery and practical for the sub-zero temps to come. Don’t worry — you totally get first dibs when it comes to borrowing this bad boy on blustery winter days. That’s the built-in perk of being together for so long.
You Actually Live Together
19. The Cambridge Satchel Co. 15 Inch Classic Satchel ($235): You two are practically an old married couple at this point, and you know their style down to a T. And yes, that includes embossing options and preferred leather style. It doesn’t matter if they’re an HBIC or a PhD candidate, every post-graduate could use a dapper satchel that fits the essentials (namely, a laptop and electronic devices).
20. Everlane The Japanese Slim Fit Oxford ($58): Nothing beats seeing your man dressed to the nines for his three o’clock, or just because. While he may already have a slew of button-downs in his collection, odds are he doesn’t have a slim-fit Oxford that’s been tailored to perfection. Two words: game changer.
21. Uncommon Goods Date Night Bucket List ($18): At this point, it feels like you and your boo have gotten into a solid routine, and it’s time to switch it up on date night. Opt for this fun bucket list set that will inspire you to do something beyond dinner and a movie.
22. Bombas Fair Isle Socks ($15): Socks? Lame? Puh-lease. When your better half happens to have a penchant for styling them alongside their fave Venetian loafers (all the more so they peek out from his trousers), they’re considered anything but snoozy. Let it be known that these plush Fair Isle socks are just as aesthetically pleasing as they are snuggly. *Adds to cart without hesitation.*
23. Everlane The Cashmere Crew ($100): So soft! So luxurious! Coming in right at the $100 mark, this gorgeous royal blue cashmere crew sweater is a steal. Its timeless quality and unparalleled layering potential make it a certified crowd pleaser. Not to mention that it can be tossed over a collared shirt or worn on its own for a rugged catalog-perfect look. We digress.
24. Thomas James “Robert” Sunglasses ($48): Your BF is an all-around swell person, and you’re ready to show just how much you adore them (y’all are in it for the long haul, after all). When Ray-Bans are too mainstream, opt for a pair of these Thomas James tortoiseshell shades to help them flaunt a ceaselessly cool aesthetic.
25. UGG Kalib Robe ($165): Because you *know* they’d never treat themselves to a robe this luxurious. (Heck, they probs wouldn’t invest in a robe period!) But you best believe this cozy plaid wrap-style robe will be put to use on lazy Sundays and shameless at-home spa days.
26. Color New York Adult Coloring Book ($15): Let’s not forget that adults like to color too. Whether you mutually decided to keep gifts “$15 or under” this year or you live with a workaholic who could use a little peace of mind during a hectic workweek, this NYC coloring book is the perfect stocking stuffer. Throw in a bottle of your S.O.’s favorite wine as a not-so-subtle hint that you want a coloring-turned-vino-themed date night in the near future.
27. Fujifilm Instax Mini 90 Neo Classic Camera ($180): Boy, have we got the perfect gift for the visual enthusiast with mad photography skills. This classic Fujifilm Instax mini camera not only produces Insta-worthy filtered snaps, but its compact shape makes it perfect for traveling. We foresee more candid snapshots of you and your S.O. cheesin’ it for the camera together. #relationshipgoals
What will you be gifting your S.O. this holiday season? Follow us on Pinterest for more seasonal gifting ideas!
This post was originally published on December 18, 2016
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.