3 Retro Hairstyles with a Modern Twist
Ready to go retro? For our next hair hack, we’re taking our marketing maven Cecelia on a journey through the ’30s, ’50s, and ’70s. You might think that some of the typical retro styles are a little too vintage, but we assure you that you can totally modernize them with a few subtle twists of your wave iron! :) Follow along to see how it’s done.
We’ll start with the ’30s. While the roaring ’20s was all about the wave, the ’30s jammed out on the pin curl. But you don’t have to turn your head into a helmet to rock this look! The photos correspond to the following steps starting with the upper left photo.
1. Start with air-dried hair.
2. Using a curling iron, start at the top section of hair and imagine you are working in a U-shape from one side of your head to the other.
3. Curl the hair in the same direction for the first half of the U-shape.
4. Curl in the opposite direction for the second half of your U.
5. Take out curls and separate with your fingers. Then gently backcomb the bottom.
6. Twist the ends of the your hair into little buns.
7. And pin them up!
8. Here’s looking at you, kid!
9. It’s sort of like a faux bob, all dressed up.
Next up, let’s pay an homage to the original gorgeous redhead, Lucille Ball.
1. Start by curling up those bangs.
2. Place waves in the top section of your hair around your whole head.
3. Twist up the top portion that you just made wavy.
4. Pin it to create the looped curls at the top.
5. Keep on curling!
6. Place the middle back section of your hair in a pony and curl.
7. Take the left section of hair, back comb for extra volume, then cross it up and over to the right side of your head. Pin in the shape of pin curls.
8. Repeat this in the opposite direction with the right section of hair.
9. Smooth over using Tigi Bed Head Stick.
And finally, go for a Charlie’s Angels-inspired look by feathering your hair.
1. Let’s go ’70s on those locks!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)