12 Ways to Throw the Coolest Retro Pool Party in Town
Are you counting down the minutes until it’s pool party time? (Us too.) But if giant pool floats aren’t your thing, why not throw it back for your next theme and host an event that showcases vintage poolside glamour at its finest? Rock that gingham suit, get your retro sunnies ready to go, and channel your inner Esther Williams because we have all the decor, treats, and accessories you’ll need for a party for the ages.
1. Swimwear DIYs: Is it a pool party without a cute cover-up and a floral cap? Nope. Make yours to match your array of lovely one-pieces and bikinis. (via Brit + Co)
2. DIY Beach Ball Backdrop: Still holding on to a bunch of lanterns from NYE? Good — paint them to look like beachballs and you’ll have the coolest party backdrop around. (via Sugar & Cloth)
3. DIY Poolside Ice Cream Bar: Classic pink and white stripes are the definition of retro-fab. This little bar on wheels moves around to follow the shade of the umbrellas as the day progresses. (via Hostess With The Mostess)
4. Poolside Lounging: Scatter cushy floor pillows on the deck to make sure you get your lounge on in comfort AND style. We recommend waterproof outdoor pillows, for the obvious reasons. (via Sugar & Charm)
5. DIY Flamingo Pool Float Cake: It wouldn’t be a pool party without a pool float! This flamingo cake lets your guests know you are ready to flamingle in style. (via Aww Sam)
6. DIY Retro Swim Frappuccinos: You made one in the DIY up top, and now your Frapp tumbler needs a cute swim cap too. Whether it’s to knock the socks off your guests (or really, just to thrill yourself, no judgment) this project is gonna bring the smiles. (via Studio DIY)
7. Pink Flamingo Punch Cocktail: You’ll need a signature beverage for the event, and a retro punch cocktail with honeycomb straw toppers will secure your spot as the Martha Stewart of pool parties. (via Pizzazzerie)
8. DIY Beach in a Ball: Leave a few of these around the party, and guests can stumble across sunnies and flip-flops to replace the ones they forgot! (via Damask Love)
9. Summer Beach Ball Wreath: There truly is no theme that you can’t make an adorable wreath for, and we’re loving this cheery, colorful, perfectly summery door decor. (via Design Improvised)
10. DIY Retro Poolside Sandals: You know how all the women in the vintage poolside pics have glam footwear too? Make yourself a pair (or two, or three) to match your cover-up and swim cap. (via Brit + Co)
11. Flamingo Krispie Treats: An easy-to-eat tasty treat is always in order. These themed squares are just what you need to close out an afternoon of throwback glam. (via Kara’s Party Ideas)
How epic would this be for an afternoon of summer fun? Follow us on Pinterest for more retro and pool party ideas.
We all have a million dollar business idea (or 2...or 3…) that we think *someone* should do. Why not you? Part of the motivation for Brit + Co's new interactive business course Selfmade is to help women develop their business idea into an actual living/breathing/thriving business. But it's also a way to figure out what that idea is. Maybe you have a few ideas, or need to refine a really good one, or maybe you have something with potential but just need to brush up on the business side of things. Well you're in luck. Thanks to Office Depot, we're here to share a quick recap on how we're helping our students figure out how to pick an idea and run with it. Feeling a little Selfmade fomo? Check out these tips for knowing if your idea is fully baked.