Are Skinny Jeans OUT? 12 Denim Trends to Shop Instead
If you’re like us, you’ve always had a love-hate relationship with jeans shopping, especially if you’ve prescribed to solely wearing skinnies. Sure, adding new wear-all-week-long staples to your wardrobe sounds like a lot of fun… until you start trying to squeeze your bod into the painted-on silhouettes. For us, that’s when our excitement tanks, and sometimes turns us off of all jeans for seasons at a time. But this fall, that all might change, because skinny jeans, as Heidi Klum would say, “are out.”
According to a Bloomberg News Report, retailers across the board — from Gap to Bloomingdales — are ditching the ultra-slim pairs and filling their shelves with looser-fitting styles, from slouchy boyfriend fits and overalls to athletic-inspired jogger cuts to flares, which are back and chicer than ever. “Many women are ready for comfort,” the head of a NY-based research firm told Bloomberg, and your favorite denim brands are ready to deliver it. Finally, there’s plenty of reasons to give your skinnies a break this fall — scroll through to find 12 of our favorite denim trends to try instead.
1. Pilcro Hyphen Crop Distressed Jeans ($138): To keep more relaxed silhouettes looking super refined, pick a dark-wash denim with few distressed details, like these dreamy five-pocket crops. Roll ’em up at the hems to put your flats on full display.
2. Forever 21 Woven Chambray Jogger ($25): These might be the most comfortable jeans you’ll ever wear. It’s official, we need this jogger jean in our closets this fall immediately.
3. H&M Wide Leg Jeans ($35): This is how to wear wide-legged jeans without looking punky — opt for a pair made of super soft denim so that the bottoms feel more like linen trousers. See, not so scary now, right?
4. GAP 1969 Real Straight Jeans ($70): We think we’ve found our straight-legged spirit jean. Just you try and get us out of this pair.
5. H&M Girlfriend Jeans ($40): Girlfriend jeans are just a bit sleeker than your favorite pair of celeb-running-errand-approved boyfriend jeans. We love the look with a classic pair of pumps and a loose tee.
6. Violeta Bootcut Marta Jeans ($90): Embrace the bootcut again, babes. These are practically begging to replace your skinnies, especially with a pair of Pop of Color heels peeking out below.
7. BDG Slim Boyfriend Jean ($59): What’s that rule about wearing white after Labor Day? Oh, right, we don’t really “do” fashion rules either. And, anyway, these are obviously winter white.
8. Levi’s 521 Perfectly Slimming Straight Jeans ($37): Can you tell this pair’s secret? They have a tummy-shaping panel tucked away in the front to ensure a smooth shape. We won’t tell if you won’t.
9. Light Before Dark Ripped Boyfriend Jean ($99): We couldn’t have distressed a pair better ourselves if we tried/DIYed!
10. Madewell Zip Overalls ($148): Bring overalls back. Bring them back in a big way.
11. Urban Renewal Two-Tone Jeans ($119): Patchwork denim is happening this fall, and this is a great way to dip your toes (um, or your calves?) into the trend.
12. Nasty Gal Denim The Bell ($98): We don’t remember bell bottoms being this sexy, do you? With the dark-wash rinse, the higher rise and the generous bells, this is denim ready for strutting in.
‘Fess up: Will you be ditching your skinnies this fall? What alternate silhouettes are you considering rocking? Tell us in the comments below.