Are Skinny Jeans OUT? 12 Denim Trends to Shop Instead
If you’re like us, you’ve always had a love-hate relationship with jeans shopping, especially if you’ve prescribed to solely wearing skinnies. Sure, adding new wear-all-week-long staples to your wardrobe sounds like a lot of fun… until you start trying to squeeze your bod into the painted-on silhouettes. For us, that’s when our excitement tanks, and sometimes turns us off of all jeans for seasons at a time. But this fall, that all might change, because skinny jeans, as Heidi Klum would say, “are out.”
1. Pilcro Hyphen Crop Distressed Jeans ($138): To keep more relaxed silhouettes looking super refined, pick a dark-wash denim with few distressed details, like these dreamy five-pocket crops. Roll ’em up at the hems to put your flats on full display.
2. Forever 21 Woven Chambray Jogger ($25): These might be the most comfortable jeans you’ll ever wear. It’s official, we need this jogger jean in our closets this fall immediately.
3. H&M Wide Leg Jeans ($35): This is how to wear wide-legged jeans without looking punky — opt for a pair made of super soft denim so that the bottoms feel more like linen trousers. See, not so scary now, right?
4. GAP 1969 Real Straight Jeans ($70): We think we’ve found our straight-legged spirit jean. Just you try and get us out of this pair.
5. H&M Girlfriend Jeans ($40): Girlfriend jeans are just a bit sleeker than your favorite pair of celeb-running-errand-approved boyfriend jeans. We love the look with a classic pair of pumps and a loose tee.
6. Violeta Bootcut Marta Jeans ($90): Embrace the bootcut again, babes. These are practically begging to replace your skinnies, especially with a pair of Pop of Color heels peeking out below.
7. BDG Slim Boyfriend Jean ($59): What’s that rule about wearing white after Labor Day? Oh, right, we don’t really “do” fashion rules either. And, anyway, these are obviously winter white.
8. Levi’s 521 Perfectly Slimming Straight Jeans ($37): Can you tell this pair’s secret? They have a tummy-shaping panel tucked away in the front to ensure a smooth shape. We won’t tell if you won’t.
9. Light Before Dark Ripped Boyfriend Jean ($99): We couldn’t have distressed a pair better ourselves if we tried/DIYed!
10. Madewell Zip Overalls ($148): Bring overalls back. Bring them back in a big way.
11. Urban Renewal Two-Tone Jeans ($119): Patchwork denim is happening this fall, and this is a great way to dip your toes (um, or your calves?) into the trend.
12. Nasty Gal Denim The Bell ($98): We don’t remember bell bottoms being this sexy, do you? With the dark-wash rinse, the higher rise and the generous bells, this is denim ready for strutting in.
‘Fess up: Will you be ditching your skinnies this fall? What alternate silhouettes are you considering rocking? Tell us in the comments below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)