17 Ways to Beat Crazy Fall Weather in Style
Getting out of bed in the morning is hard enough, but when doom and gloom is the predominate mood outside your window — don’t even get us started. Soggy duds, frizzy hair and running makeup are the first things that come to mind and make us contemplate crawling back under the covers and calling it quits [pulls bedsheets over face]. Luckily, there are plenty of weather-appropriate pieces to protect your from the elements that will also ensure you get from point A to point B in style — as in, you won’t want to take them off when it dries up and dies down. Check these versatile, must-have pieces to get you through fall’s nastiest weather below.
1. Melissa Soldier Black Heeled Chelsea Ankle Boots ($233): These on-point kicks take home the prize for most stylish rain boot around. They’ll keep feet dry and boast serious treads so slipping won’t even register on your radar, not to mention give your posture the same lengthening boost as your go-to heels.
2. ASOS Rainmac in Cocoon Fit ($81): Don’t let gray skies get you down. Shine bright in even the most off-putting weather with a bold rose gold coat.
4. Madewell Oversized Sweater Jacket ($178): Lightweight layering is key when it comes to rainy days. While wool is typically a no-no under wet conditions, ultra-light Merino wool will keep you warm without running the risk of overheating under your raincoat.
5. Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge for Lips and Cheeks ($29): Get your glow on without worrying about running makeup with a swipe of *cream* blush across the apples of your cheeks, eyelids and lips for a natural-looking glow.
6. Hunter Original Mustache Bubble Umbrella ($55): This bright bubble umbrella might not make you any friends on the sidewalk, but it will certainly keep you dry.
7. Brixton Magdalena Wool Hat ($40): Bad hair days? Forget about it. Prevent hair from getting frizzified with a sophisticated wool topper that will keep you warm too. If the weather is still too much for your locks – braid it.
8. Printed Village Denim Scarf ($36): A snazzy scarf will do more than provide you with an extra layer of warmth or a stylish way to accessorize your look; it can quickly transition into a shield against high winds and raindrops.
9. Ann Taylor Janine Tortoiseshell Patent Leather Ballet Flats ($88): Patent leather is perfect for a little light drizzle. Unlike your other leather steppers, these can stand up to a little water. Once you reach your destination, whether you’re fast-walking from your train stop to your office or puddle-hopping from the taxi to the restaurant door of your dinner date night, give ’em a quick wipe and you’re good to go.
10. Longchamp Le Pliage Large Tote Bag ($145): Ruining a fabulous bag simply isn’t an option. Stash it, along with all your essentials, in a bag that won’t cringe at the sight of water like this classic nylon tote.
11. Lancôme Bienfait Teinté Beauty Balm ($45): Streaky makeup? No thanks. BB & CC creams are where it’s at when the weather gets a little wacky. Just a few swipes will even out any splotchiness.
12. J.Crew Martie Pant ($90): When it starts to pour, pants will keep your look feeling fuss-free. Skirts can wrinkle and droop when wet, but pants will have you looking polished all day long. They’re easy to tuck into rain boots, but they’re also golden in a sudden downpour — thanks to this pair’s cropped length, they won’t get soaked in those pesky puddles.
13. Zara Midi Skirt ($16): Not feelin’ the pants? Stick with pencil skirts that stay close to the body — they fit perfectly under a rain coat, so you stay stylish and dry.
14. Glamorous Leather Look Trench Coat ($125): The classic trench will always be timeless, but sometimes you just need to shake things up. This fun alternative is sure to turn some heads, while giving off the vibe that no matter what the weather, staying chic is totally your thing.
15. Diorshow Waterproof Mascara ($25): Put a twist on waterproofing your makeup routine with eye-catching blue waterproof mascara. Not only will it make your eyes pop, but it will give your whole look the jolt it needs to stand out on a gloomy day.
16. Glamorous Matte Clear Parka ($89): Sure, the weather is less than ideal. But look on the bright side — you get to wear this chic slicker and show off that on-point outfit. #rainydaywin
17. Levi’s 501 CT Jeans for Women ($98): Rainy days leave us wanting to curl up and kick back, which is where these boyfriend jeans come in. Tucked-in or rolled-up, they can handle whatever comes our way.
How do you manage to stay on top of your sartorial game in the face of unpredictable weather? Tell us in the comments!
No matter what your holiday plans look like this year, we know you want to feel present and able to embrace the warm and festive spirit to the fullest — not be bogged down by errands, stressful hosting duties, and last-minute shopping disasters. We wouldn't be surprised if one look at your December to-do list sent you into a full-on panic.