17 Barely There Tops for When You Don’t Want to Wear Clothes
This just in: Operation summer cool-down is in full effect. If you thought fall temps were on the horizon, then the joke’s on you, boo. A heat index of 90+ requires a game plan that doesn’t involve hiding out in the AC all day. Unbearable humidity and sticky commutes? Thanks, but no thanks; we’ll gladly do without it. Barely there summer tops — crop tops, halters, and throwback tube tops included — are currently making a comeback, and we’re not even mad about it. When frolicking around in a bikini isn’t an option, we’ve got you covered with 17 breezy styles that will keep you cool, calm, and collected.
1. Mara Hoffman Patchwork Cami ($175): This cropped top radiates sunshine, no? Add a banana yellow midi skirt and suede goldenrod mules for maximum slayage.
2. Side Party Southern Floral Top ($72): Picnic dates in Central Park and Coney Island attractions call for this li’l ditsy floral number. The vintage style (namely, dem buttons!) and cropped silhouette are a sartorial match for your high-waisted denim shorts and everyday huaraches.
3. Sincerely Jules Tiki Crop Tank ($99): BRB, we know what we’ll be wearing when watching the sunset in Maui — give or take a puka shell necklace, that is.
4. & Other Stories Halterneck Bandeau Top ($29): In the summatime, black tie official looks a little somethin’ somethin’ like this. Designated to show off your toned abs, this Sporty Spice-style halter can be teamed alongside black culottes and a Le Smoking blazer for an upcoming gala.
5. Kimchi Blue Rainbow Striped Sweater Cami ($39): Pride parade by day, rooftop sips by night — this ROYGBIV-hued sweater cami is about to send ‘70s babes everywhere into a frenzy. Retro oval sunnies and throwback flares: You’ve been summoned.
6. Madewell Gingham Tier Top ($60): Jusssttt in case you missed the memo, gingham is still having a bit of a moment. Pair this flouncy top with the matching skirt for a playful co-ord or opt for crisp white jeans and espadrille sneakers for a vacay-bound look.
7. Blue Life Melanie Lace Up Top ($78): Livin’ the good life, TYVM. Cropped and ready to mingle, this frilly OTS top is about to give the ladies of Bachelor in Paradise a run for their money.
8. Samantha Pleet Spectrum Tank in Ultramarine ($129): Cool down just in time for summer camp (or the next heat wave) with this whimsical ’70s-inspired denim tank that will have you piling on the friendship bracelets and seeking solace in your fave sparkly jelly sandals.
9. Topshop Floral Print Gypsy Shirred Crop Top ($30): Be the life of the luau with this aloha-ready off-the-shoulder number that’s the definition of flirty and fun. All that’s missing is a billowy maxi skirt and one of those fruity umbrella drinks, amirite?
10. Nasty Gal No Scrubs Strapless Bra Top ($20): Crop it like it’s hot with this strapless ruched top that can be teamed with mom jeans and oversized hoops for a ladies night out.
11. Christi Taupe Multi Floral Print Halter Top ($36): Capture the essence of summer (beach bonfires! Ice pops by the pool!) with this daisy print halter top that you’ll want to live in 24/7.
12. Pull&Bear Crop Stripe Bandeau Top ($32): A love affair with stripes? Not us. Who are we kidding — we’re this close to reaching for some crisp white jeans for a pre-Labor Day bash (a stint in Montauk on the yacht wouldn’t be too shabby either).
13. Aerie Tube Top ($30): Tube tops from the early oughts? We’re already having Laguna Beach flashbacks. Toss this boho-chic knit sweater on with a denim button-front skirt for a SoCal look.
14. Scotch & Soda Cropped Knitted Top ($139): Be it a glam-cation in the mountains or a concert at the fairgrounds, crochet is the fabric of choice.
15. Whit Quinn Corset Crop Top ($248): Between the painterly print and ultra-flattering fit, this corset top screams OOO. Add in the season’s pieces de resistance (ahem, a certain bamboo bag and cha-cha-ready tassel earrings) FTW.
16. Reformation Rue Top ($58): Um, yes, please to all of it. We can’t decide what we love more: the nautical stripes, the sexy tie-waist detail, or the open back?
17. For Love & Lemons Bon Bon Eyelet Crop Top ($90): Peep this super sweet eyelet trim crop top that you’ll reach for through Labor Day weekend (perhaps longer). Just add a flouncy wrap skirt and a pair of Le Specs’ ubiquitous Lolita cat-eye shades for instant cool girl status.
Which of these breezy summer styles will you be rocking during your next outing? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.