Supermodels Gigi Hadid + Karlie Kloss Are Rocking This Ancient Jewelry Trend
Models, whether it’s Chrissy Teigen or Bella Hadid, are often the best source to find cutting edge trends. But sometimes they’re super surprising and resurface old ones — and lately, ones that are thousands of years old.
Evil eyes have been around for centuries as a talisman for several cultures to ward off bad, evil spirits. The evil eye was supposed to protect you from those that wished you harm — and it’s been an insanely popular choice for jewelry for a lot of celebs, including Gigi Hadid, Karlie Kloss and Bar Refaeli. Gigi is showing off summer inspo thanks to Leandra Medine, AKA The Man Repeller, who mixed all her pretty, delicate necklaces together to create a personal statement *and* ward off evil spirits.
Karlie, on the other hand, has an enormous evil eye embroidered on her always trendy custom denim jacket.
And Bar Refaeli wore the trend in a pretty and understated way with delicate bracelets from German designer Carolina Lemke. These three models show off the different variations of the motif, proving that there’s no such thing as a “right” and “wrong” way to do an evil eye. Let’s all stock up to ward off winter!
1. HippieThings Navy Blue Evil Eye Bracelet ($16): If you’re looking for a little pizzazz for your fall arm party, try adding this thin bracelet to the mix. The tassel makes it feel modern and fun, and the hot pink and navy blue complement each other nicely.
2. Minifabo Monogram Evil Eye Bracelet ($15): Personalize your evil eye so that the evil spirits know who they shouldn’t be messing with.
3. DeluxeSparkle Evil Eye Boho Choker ($10): Pile on two trends in a small accessory that packs a punch — this choker is thin enough that it could be dressy or casual, depending on your outfit. Either way, you’re protected.
4. Astley Clarke Biography Bracelet ($149): If you’re the type of gal that’s already started thinking about her holiday wish list, you might want to add this stunner from British brand Astley Clarke to it. It’s dainty enough to be worn every day, but striking enough that it feels special.
5. MaddyAndSamJewelry Evil Eye Necklace ($21): If you’d rather go the classic route, try this simple two-tone turquoise and blue necklace.
6. IAM Ileana Makri Evil Eye Studs ($165): The Greeks are one of the cultures that strongly believed in the power of the evil eye, so if you want to up your chances of protection, try these beautiful, tiny studs from Greek designer Ileana Makri.
7. MasFemme Evil Eye Pave Ring ($15): Here’s a way to flash some bling and ward off the spirits, all for under $15. Wear your good luck charm on your pinky for some little finger flair.
8. Jennifer Zeuner Beyah Necklace ($198): If you’re ready to treat yourself, try upgrading to this 18-karat gold necklace, whose evil eye is made from turquoise cabochon.
Tweet us about other ancient motifs you love @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Feature photo via Monica Schipper / Getty)