5 Apps That Will Make Tax Season a Breeze for Procrastinators
Oh, tax season! Unless you’re an accountant, chances are this isn’t your favorite time of year — but that doesn’t have to be the case. Far from it. With a little help from your trusty smartphone or tablet, you can now find answers to FAQs, pose custom questions to real-life accountants and even file this year’s taxes like a pro. Yes, these apps can help make tax season a breeze, and it’s totally cool if you download all five. Time to take a deep breath, pour yourself a glass of something yummy and show tax season who’s boss.
1. TaxCaster by TurboTax:Rather than anxiously awaiting the answer to the ultimate question — “Will I receive a refund or will I owe money?” — download this app, enter your data and let it estimate the outcome. The accuracy of the final estimate may not be exact, but it’s a great way to know the route you’re heading down. That’s way better than keeping the suspense alive as you fill out each and every one of the required forms.
2. My Block: If you’re looking for information, H&R Block’s app can provide you with answers to basic tax questions, help explain standard terminology and allow you to estimate your refund, so you can plan ahead. What’s more, it lets you easily book an appointment at a nearby H&R Block, send over all relevant paperwork via the app and even keep track of your refund status. High five!
3. IRS2Go:There’s no way to have a tax app roundup without the Internal Revenue Service’s own official app, IRS2Go. The app allows you easy access to check on your tax refund status, pay your taxes directly from your bank account or pay with a credit/debit card. It also provides helpful tax filing tips straight from the horse’s mouth.
4. H&R Block Tax Preparation: Once you have all the information you need and are ready to file your tax return, H&R Block has you covered with My Block’s sister app. Whereas the first puts a focus on answering questions, this one is tailor-made to help you actually fill out your forms and send them off. Just take a photo of your W-2, select the Free, Basic, Deluxe or Premium edition and let the app do the work. Easy!
5. TurboTaxTax Preparation: Tax season will never be the same once you add this app to your arsenal. Simply take a photo of your W-2, answer some simple questions about your life and e-file securely. All you have to do is double check that it has read all of the numbers correctly (if not, you can manually fix them), and send your papers off to the IRS through the app — it’s that simple. The only downside? You’ll have to pay a small fee when you file your tax return.
What is your go-to tax app? Tweet us @BritandCo!