8 Easy Ways to Transition Your Favorite Summer Pieces for Fall
If you thought the onset of the new season signaled the end of your favorite summer style essentials, think again. Long after the sun has set on those carefree beach days and boardwalk strolls, your arsenal of denim shorts, flowy festival-ready frocks and Insta-worthy sandals will keep those good vibes alive. The key is employing a bit of clever layering that will give your warm-weather staples a cool-weather edge. So bust out the turtlenecks, boots and plaid flannel shirts — we’re showing you eight easy ways to transform your most-loved warm weather pieces now.
1. Zara Checked Dress ($70) + J.Crew Tencel and Cashmere-Blend Turtleneck Sweater ($100): The fun doesn’t stop for your rotation of strappy, flirty frocks once Labor Day rolls around. Toss ‘em on top of a lightweight turtleneck, then team with next-level Mary Janes and sophisticated hoops for a killer cool-weather look you can rock at the office or a leisurely lunch with the girls.
2. H&M Crinkled Shorts ($15) + Topshop Unique Lamont Cardigan ($210): Shorts aren’t exactly the first piece you reach for when temps take a dip, but we’re about to change all that. Usher playful printed bottoms into the new season with chic cardigans and snuggly long-sleeve tops. Take this foolproof balancing act to the next level with cutout ankle boots and a bright scarf that doubles as an extra layer.
3. Equipment Garner Wool-Twill Vest ($200) + Whistles Multi Stripe Rib Knit Dress ($270): A sleeveless blazer is a savior when it comes to transforming slinky summer dresses into office-ready ensembles. Come fall, they turn into the ultimate added layer when you need a little extra something without going all out. Toss one on top of a cozy sweater dress, then add metallic court shoes and modern drop earrings for a polished look in seconds.
4. H&M Short Jersey Top ($13) + Zara High Waisted Mum Jeans ($50): Crop tops all day, every day is how we like to roll. Ditch the denim shorts and high-waisted mini skirts for a pair of high-waisted mom jeans or tailored belted trousers that provide just the right amount of coverage. Send the chills packin’ with a boyfriend blazer or a chunky longline knit.
5. Topshop Tie-Up Body ($28) + TNA Brisco Shirt ($65): Plaid is pretty much the epitome of fall, so what better piece to call upon when you’re in need of a little transition magic than a tried-and-true flannel top? A bodysuit and button-front skirt combo instantly take on a whole new vibe when you throw this bad boy into the mix. Tone down the grunge-era vibes with strappy block heels and a structured crossbody bag.
6. Delman Malia Platform Slingback Sandals ($248) + Topshop Slinky Rib Stitch Ankle Socks ($6): Socks and sandals have been a thing for a while now, but if you haven’t given the runway-approved look a try just yet, now is definitely the time. Opt for eye-catching styles (think: bold color and funky prints) to give your getup a street-style-approved edge, and elevate closet basics to haute status.
7. Mango Embroidered Skirt ($60) + Ulla Johnson Silk Jamila Top ($466): Embroidered denim skirts are a summertime staple, straight-up slaying with everyday tees and flirty off-the-shoulder blouses. Their sartorial power proves itself once again when fall rolls around, looking fly with pretty peasant tops, suede jackets and bohemian babe ‘dos.
8. Haute Hippie Printed Silk Jumpsuit ($268) + Mango Suede Jacket ($270): Whether it’s 90 degrees or a cool 52, a jumpsuit and its one-and-done approach to dressing will always do you right. Stuffy separates need not apply, so team it up with pieces that blend comfort and cool factor, like a suede kimono and menswear-inspired loafer slides.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.