28 Festive AF Statement Pieces to Snag for an Ugly Sweater Party
It’s finally the most wonderful time of the year. *Inserts praise hands emoji here.* If you’re anything like us, then you’re most likely counting down the days until it’s considered appropriate etiquette to whip out your most obnoxious holiday jumper. (Is Thanksgiving dinner with the fam too soon?) And if there’s one holiday-themed bash you should have zero trouble dressing for (like nada), it’s an ugly sweater party. Cue the flashy sequins, touches of tinsel and over-the-top embellishments that have come to characterize every tacky holiday sweater from seasons past. We’ve shared our favorite Christmas movie-inspired holiday outfits, and now we’re back at it with 28 festive AF looks to wear to a slew of holiday functions — everything from a Secret Santa gift exchange to your town’s annual holiday parade. ‘Cause the tackier your holiday sweater, the more fun can be had.
1. Forever 21 Glitter Reindeer Headband ($4): Who’s to say you can’t rock these glittery reindeer antlers all season long with your favorite holiday socks and intarsia sweaters in tow? Just think: You’ll be spreading holiday cheer wherever you go!
2. Urban Renewal Vintage Assorted Holiday Cardigan ($34): We know what we’ll be sporting en route to our holiday destination on Christmas Eve. This granny-chic vintage holiday cardi is so fantastically tacky that it’s actually starting to grow on us. Come party time, DO toss it on alongside a sequined slip dress, Doc Martens and a Santa hat for all the style points this season.
3. Boohoo Two Person Holidays Sweater ($39): What would the holiday shuffle be without at least one super cheesy photo op with your boo? We’ve done you one better by uncovering this gem of a two-person naughty-nice knit sweater that’s made to fit the both of ya (cue the cuddle sesh).
4. Wildfox Santa’s Helper Cuddles Holiday Hoodie ($124) + Santa’s Helper Fame Jogger ($108): Ignore the stares — party goers are just jealous of your super fly athleisure-inspired jogger-and-hoodie set that was made for snuggling by the open fire. When you’re not sippin’ eggnog at a holiday get-together, this so-ugly-it’s-kind-of-cute set can be worn for a Santa Run 5K.
5. Forever 21 Sequined Patch Holiday Sweater ($23): More is more when it comes to packing on the holiday swagger. Between the shamelessly preppy plaid pattern and the flashy sequined patches, this crewneck pullover is practically a no-brainer. Throw it on with gold lurex leggings and a leather baseball cap for an upcoming annual holiday bash (or three).
6. ASOS Lanterns Holidays Tinsel Pom Mules ($38): Forget the holiday party circuit: These glitter-decked mules — topped with tinsel poms, no less! — are coming home with us STAT. They’ll look killer teamed with leather pants and a pastel-hued cocoon coat during your morning commute and lend just the right amount of holiday dazzle come happy hour. Obsessed would be an understatement.
7. Charming Charlie Holiday Bow Statement Earrings ($8): It’s official: You have our permission to wear these charming red bow statement earrings all December long. Let the countdown until the 25th begin.
8. Boohoo Sleigh My Name Holidays Sweater ($27): Punny is always in style. Get ready to sleigh hard (get it?!) with this cheeky statement sweater that pays tribute to what could quite possibly be one of our favorite Destiny’s Child tunes of all time.
9. Forever 21 Santa Claus Hat Charm Choker ($5): Hey, ‘90s babes — how’s this alternative velvet choker featuring a cute Santa Claus hat charm for a tough-girl edge? You best believe combat boots and a tacky AF sweater vest will be in order as you partake in a holiday bar crawl with your squad.
10. Valery Exclusive Holidays Elfie Glitter Clutch Bag ($22): This glittery #elfie clutch will lend itself well to many a seasonal-themed holiday shindigs — and black tie affairs, for that matter. From a post-work happy hour where tacky sweaters are the preferred dress code to a winter formal, this sparkly accessory is ready for a season of schmoozing.
11. ModCloth Care to Converse? Pants ($70): Pass up the opportunity to sport plaid boardroom-approved trousers with major mom appeal (we hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these aren’t your cool girl-approved mom jeans by a long shot!)? Not if we have anything to say about it. Pair these high-waisted vintage bottoms alongside all your ugly holiday jumpers for a conversation-starting look.
12. Boohoo Hollie Reindeer & Snowflake Christmas Jumper ($26): Meet the sweater equivalent of your fave Starbuck’s seasonal espresso blend. If this chummy fair isle knit featuring reindeer and snowflakes doesn’t make you want to whip up a steaming cup of hot cocoa and go frolicking in the snow, then we don’t know what will.
13. Missguided Grey Reindeer Christmas Sweater ($34): Stop it. Wear this cutesy reindeer jumper while out caroling, bell-ringing or delivering fruitcake to your next-door neighbors for no shortage of compliments. “But your sweater has googly eyes and a red tinsel nose…” Says every jolly passerby within sight.
14. Ten Sixty Sherman Tinsel Ball Christmas Sweater ($42): Aaaand we’ve got shimmery gold tinsel, people! ‘Tis the season to seize the day and shine bright like the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. We don’t hate it.
15. Forever 21 Holiday Elf Crossbody Bag ($20): This WTF-worthy elf crossbody bag takes crazy Christmas lady to a whole new level. (Seriously, we’re speechless.) Forget the tacky sweater party — you might as well be fulfilling the role of Santa’s Little Helper at his workshop in the North Pole.
16. Wildfox Naughty or Nice? Manchester Tee ($64): We say “bah humbug” to cliché holiday sweaters (major snooze) that are anything but original. (Sorry, not sorry, but once you’ve seen one ugly reindeer sweater, you’ve seen them all.) Instead, team this naughty-or-nice tee with high-waisted jeans and sparkly flats for a party-ready getup.
17. Boohoo I Heart Santa Holidays Sweater ($27): It’s not too late to get in Santa’s good graces — he won’t be making his list (and checking it twice) for at least another two weeks time. Pair this bad boy with a swishy ankle-length metallic pleat skirt and ugly glove shoes for the boardroom before substituting in some red haute leather pants and lace-up ghillies come the p.m.
18. ModCloth Swell on a Holiday Leggings in Gingerbread ($25): Run, don’t walk, to snatch up a pair of these seasonal gingerbread printed leggings. Not only will they double as cozy PJ bottoms (perfect for Netflixing and chilling, natch), but they’ll take the holiday party circuit by storm. Sign us up, please.
19. Missguided Green Christmas Tree Glasses ($9): Snagging best-dressed status at your office’s ugly sweater party is a snap with these snazzy Christmas tree glasses in the equation. They’re OTT in the best possible way.
20. Tripp NYC High Waisted Plaid Pants ($80): Don’t waste any time reaching for a pair of these plaid-tastic trousers that might as well be straight out of Cher Horowitz’s wardrobe. For maximum impact, style these alternative jeans with a leather moto jacket, studded Miu Miu-style ballerinas and a plush red Santa hat for your “something holiday.”
21. Modcloth Rooftop Revelry Tights ($13): Give Mrs. Claus a run for her money with these OMG-worthy red-and-white striped antler tights that call to mind all your favorite reindeer. Class ‘em up with an LBD and velvet platforms, or dial it way down with a vintage fair isle sweater.
22. Missguided Red With White Pompoms Christmas Sweater ($36): If you thought we’d pass up the opportunity to sport this playful red pom-pom sweater, then you obviously don’t know us very well. Besides, we’re already busy conjuring up a slew of holiday-themed #OOTDs. Speaking of which, it’ll look *totes* cute with a leather mini and suede OTK boots.
23. ASOS Holidays Bauble Earrings ($8, pack of two): Get your fa-la-las on a tad early with these shiny red and gold bauble earrings that will lend instant pizzazz to your nine-to-five style, and straight-up stun while trying to woo your crush by the mistletoe. Nobody can wrongly accuse you of being a grinch!
24. L.O.L. Vintage Reindeer Pom Poms Ugly Christmas Sweater ($28): We can’t decide if this royal blue reindeer sweater is ugly-cute or just plain ol’ ugly. The verdict is in: You can’t lose when Rudolph — he is our favorite reindeer, after all — is in the mix.
25. ASOS Holidays Santa Chimney Headband ($13): Channel your inner Santa’s helper with this chimney headband that’s every bit as loony as it looks. Not only will it make coworkers LOL, but it’ll complement your 3D embellished holiday sweater quite nicely.
26. Boden Bauble Sweater ($118): Calling all Reese Witherspoon, hostess-with-the-mostess types: It’s your turn to deck the halls in style with this celebratory bauble sweater that shall be worn for every holiday bash you host this season. A twirl-worthy midi skirt and sparkly ballerinas will be required for a not-so-ugly holiday #OOTD.
27. ASOS Co Ord Knitted Skirt and Sweater in Holidays Fairisle ($69): Now here’s a fun take on your everyday fair isle knit. Cue the comfy-cozy log cabin vibes with this cold weather-approved seasonal co-ord that actually looks pretty darn cozy. All that’s missing is a jingle bells headband, some shearling-lined moccasins and a cup of mulled apple cider for the ultimate holiday getup.
28. Urban Renewal Vintage Assorted Holiday Sweater ($34): They sure don’t make ‘em like they used to. Shop Urban Outfitters’ assorted collection of vintage holiday toppers for a one-of-a-kind look. ‘Cause there’s nothing worse than showing up to a Secret Santa exchange twinning in the same sweater as your BFF, cousin and sister, amirite?
What will you be sporting to an ugly sweater party? Follow us on Pinterest for more holiday style!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.