9 Holiday Outfits Inspired by Classic Christmas Movies
Partay season is upon us, people, and if you haven’t started planning the perfect dance floor-ready getup, now is most certainly the time. Looking to upgrade your holiday look because your signature LBD is falling short of the mark? We’ve got you covered, girl. In the height of our excitement for all of the upcoming fêtes holding it down on our iCals, we’ve looked to classic holiday flicks (think: Love Actually, A Christmas Story and Home Alone) to gather a little outfit inspo. And not to worry — the looks dotting this silver-screen-inspired list (which just so happen to include sleek jumpsuits and swoon-inducing slip dresses) are the epitome of effortlessness — trying too hard just isn’t something you do — and will look fab styled alongside that newly acquired pouch or mini bag.
1. If You Love The Holiday: Pixie Market One-Shoulder Sweater Tunic ($114): Cameron Diaz straight-up slayed as Amanda Woods in an arsenal of chic knitwear that will forever go down in the history of DDG winter wardrobes. You might not be spending the holidays in Surrey, England, but this envelope-pushing sweater makes a pretty killer consolation prize. Bold drop earrings, leather trousers and block-heel pumps combine for a cozy look with just a hint of urban edge.
2. If You Love Home Alone: Dress the Population Nina Sequin Bodycon Midi Slip Dress ($253): Feeling seriously nostalgic this holiday season? Sidle on up to this silvery slip dress that Kate Moss would most definitely approve of. Sure, you’re more likely to see ugly Christmas sweaters and matching pajama sets in the film, but we can’t resist the opportunity to capitalize on the more glamorous side of ‘90s style. Team it with a longline coat and platform heels FTW.
3. If You Love It’s a Wonderful Life: Adrianna Papell Metallic Jacquard Fit & Flare Dress ($219): Filmed in the ‘40s, this holiday classic is rife with chic retro looks. Channel Mary Hatch’s ladylike style with this flirty fit-and-flare dress that would look gorgeous styled with gold-toe ankle-strap heels and asymmetric earrings for a swanky soiree. Dramatic plum lipstick is highly encouraged.
4. If You Love A Christmas Story: ASOS Premium Satin Plunge Jumpsuit ($106): While you could buy the iconic bunny suit that Aunt Clara gifted Ralphie, it probably won’t win you any style points at your bestie’s annual holiday bash. This sleek satin number, on the other hand? It’s It-girl approved. Slip it on with shimmery ankle boots and an embellished choker for a look that was practically made for schmoozing and sipping Champagne.
5. If You Love Love Actually: Urban Outfitters Metal Garland Tie-Back Headband ($20): Bohemian dream doesn’t even begin to cover it. When Keira Knightley’s character, Juliet, donned a lace and feather-trimmed dress and matching headpiece for her wedding to Peter (Chiwetel Ejiofor), our hearts skipped a beat. Channel the awe-inducing moment with this glistening gold headpiece that’s practically begging to be coupled with a velvet wrap dress and embellished heels.
6. If You Love Meet Me in St. Louis: Reformation Gemma Dress ($278): Judy Garland achieved full-on bombshell status in that red hot number she sported to debut the now-timeless song “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” in the film Meet Me in St. Louis. Assert yourself as best-dressed guest when you show up in your own scene-stealing frock. Between the plunge neckline, delicate sleeves and garnet-colored velvet, this OMG-worthy wrap dress is guaranteed to turn heads (and break a few hearts).
7. If You Love Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Mango Belt Faux Fur Coat ($200): Forget Rudolph and Clarice — if you were all about Bumble back in the day (you know — the cute abominable snowman), you need to add this coat to your lineup stat. Layer it over a sequin-studded shift dress and combat boots for a wintery look that isn’t messing around.
8. If You Love White Christmas: Nasty Gal Bardot Rebecca Midi Dress ($119): One word: timeless. White Christmas is rife with old-world elegance and enviable ensembles, but Rosemary Clooney’s black ballgown shone the brightest. Recreate the glamorous look with this satin off-the-shoulder gown, chandelier earrings and a side-swept ‘do.
9. If You Love A Charlie Brown Christmas: HD in Paris Sierade Dress ($168): Can it even be considered the holiday season without the Peanuts gang? We have to venture a no. This chevron striped dress calls to mind Charlie Brown’s signature sweater and is the party dress that keeps on giving — after the festivities have come and gone, rock it with black ankle boots, a next-level ponytail and a faux fur bomber for a killer off-duty look.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.