15 Unexpected Ways to Use Harissa
Get ready to wake up your taste buds from a loooong winter slumber with this collection of 15 stunning, harissa-spiced recipes. Rising temps outside mean lighter fare is often on the menu, and this kicky chili paste is a great way to ensure every bite is an exciting experience. You’ll find tons of fun fusions here that go beyond the condiment’s Northern African roots — rice bowls, tacos, pizza and more are all but guaranteed to delight in every way. Who else is ready to kick things up?!
1. Harissa-Lime Grilled Chicken Salad: Using cinnamon as a savory spice adds an unexpected, welcome depth in this peppery chicken marinade. Paired with a cilantro-lime vinaigrette, sweet-tart pineapple, creamy avocados and roasted peppers, every last bite promises to be a wonderful taste experience. (via Joyful Healthy Eats)
3. Tomato Harissa Coconut Bisque: Coconut milk and harissa team up to take creamy tomato soup in a whole new direction. Trust that you won’t find anything quite like this in a can. (via Dishing up the Dirt)
4. Winter Squash Tamale Pie With Harissa: Looking for a fun way to use up the last winter squash sitting on your countertop? Make this easy, cheesy tamale pie that’s loaded with tons of veggies and beans. (via Climbing Grier Mountain)
6. Parsley Salad With Harissa Yogurt: Reach for this herb salad the next time you find yourself with a bumper crop of parsley on your hands. The mix of colors and its sweet, savory, sour and spicy elements will no doubt turn heads and tempt taste buds. (via Yummy Beet)
8. Spicy Tofu Rice Bowl: Move over, burrito bowls — there’s a new rice bowl in town. We’re loving this twist on one of our favorite Tex-Mex takeout orders. Hummus is an ingenious, fitting stand-in for the the usual scoop of beans. (via The Blonde Chef)
9. Artichoke and Pickled Onion Pizza With Harissa Tomato Sauce (Vegan): Featuring not one, but two sauces — harissa-tomato and a kale pesto — and a host of other flavor-packed ingredients, this pizza’s lack of melty cheese is totally NBD. (via Faring Well)
10. Harissa Potato Chips: Pretty sure these super simple, homemade crisps could totally win the Lay’s “Do Us a Flavor” contest next time around. Warning: They just may outshine any dip served alongside. (via Life Ambrosia)
12. Greek-Style Roasted Lamb Gyros With Harissa-Spiced Tzatziki: You’ll be declared dinnertime hero if you serve up these gyros. (via Half Baked Harvest)
14. Sweet and Spicy Butternut Harissa Hummus: A blend of chickpeas and roasted butternut squash along with harissa and pomegranate molasses makes this one unique — and uniquely delicious — dip. (via Dishing up the Dirt)
15. Hard Boiled Egg Toast With Harissa Butter: Keep extra harissa butter tucked away in the fridge to elevate everything from toast to mashed potatoes to steamed veggies and so much more. (via Kitchen Konfidence)
Are you already hot for harissa? Share your favorite ways to use it in the comments!