Harissa Is SO Hot Right Now: 20 Recipes That Prove It
Harissa is the biggest thing in hot sauce since Sriracha, and that has us wondering: Have you jumped on the bandwagon? Whether or not you answered in the affirmative, these 20 almost too-hot-to-handle recipes featuring harissa belong on your table. The chili-herb-oil paste hailing from northern Africa adds an incomparable flavor to everything from brunch to burgers. In short: Let’s spice things up.
1. Egg, Cheddar and Green Harissa Puff Pastry Squares: Now this is one superb way to wake up your taste buds in the morning. (via Blogging Over Thyme)
2. Skinny Tandoori Butter Sweet Potato Fries With Creamy Baked Harissa Feta: Sweet potato fries are fab on their own, but when served with a creamy, spiced feta-brie-cream-cheese dip… well, we’re pretty sure it doesn’t get better than that. (via Half Baked Harvest)
4. Chickpea Crust Pizza With Harissa and Spinach: Chickpeas and harissa are a natural pairing, so it’s no surprise that the latter makes an awesome sauce for a naturally gluten-free pie. Spinach, caramelized onions and mozzarella join in on the fun, too, making it a great outside-the-box recipe for pizza night. (via My Name Is Yeh)
5. Moroccan Spiced Pumpkin Chickpea Stew: This spicy stew packed with veggies, protein and tons of flavor is excellent served over your favorite grain, from couscous to quinoa. (Okay, so we know couscous is technically pasta, but it’s oh-so-grain-like in appearance and works beautifully here.) (via Happy Hearted Kitchen)
6. Savory Spaghetti Squash Cakes With Poached Eggs and Harissa (Gluten-Free): Roasted spaghetti squash forms the bulk of these fantastic fritters that are pretty darn irresistible all on their own. But when stacked and topped with a dollop of harissa, a handful of spinach and a runny-yolked egg… whoa. Talk about something to swoon over. (via The Bojon Gourmet)
7. Fresh Squeezed Heirloom Harissa Bloody Mary: We believe there is absolutely no reason you should be sipping on a boring bloody Mary. Keep things super fresh and spicy with this tempting fresh tomato blend. (via Vegetarian Ventures)
8. Grilled Harissa Shrimp Skewers With Basil Oil and Cilantro: Here, fresh herbs and a mildly spicy harissa paste work their magic on shrimp without overwhelming its delicate, sweet flavor. (via Blogging Over Thyme)
9. Harissa Roasted Baby Potatoes: These petite potatoes enrobed in a homemade harissa paste should definitely be invited to your next cookout. Who doesn’t love a spicy side or appetizer served on a stick? (via The Flavours of Kitchen)
11. Roasted Corn With Harissa Butter: You can’t go wrong with these sweet, spicy, buttery ears of corn. Toss them on the grill or pop ’em in the oven for an outstanding, yet easy, side. (via Family Fresh Cooking)
12. Harissa Burger: Harissa aioli alone could carry these burgers, but it doesn’t stop there. Instead, the beef is seasoned with scallions and onions, and red onions are quick-pickled and thrown on top along with bacon, cheese and peppery arugula. (via Feasting at Home)
13. Grilled Salmon With Harissa on Cauliflower Couscous: A mere brush of the spicy stuff elevates flaky grilled salmon to new heights. (via Drizzle and Dip)
14. Broiled Polenta Bites With Green Harissa and Feta: A dollop of homemade green harissa and a few crumbles of briny feta transforms Parmesan-polenta triangles into bites that’re a party for your tastebuds. (via Aida Mollenkamp)
15. Spicy Labneh Balls: Here’s another lovely twist on a Lebanese favorite. Harissa is mixed into these yogurt cheese balls, offering them a peachy hue that’s a gorgeous contrast against a marinade of parsley, lemon zest and olive oil. (via Cooking With Gifs)
17. Moroccan Chicken Tacos With Harissa Salsa and Goat Cheese: These aren’t your ordinary street tacos. Instead, these shake things up by packing in a ton of Middle Eastern flair. (via Partial Ingredients)
18. Raw Cauliflower and Broccoli Tabouleh (Gluten-Free): Tabbouleh isn’t usually gluten-free, but this version made with a mix of cauliflower and broccoli totally is. Enjoy this veggie-packed dish as a light lunch or terrific side. (via Food From Flossie)
19. Penne With Harissa Roasted Cauliflower, Tomatoes, Carrot Strips and Capers: This is one punchy pasta that you’ll definitely want to keep in mind. We can only imagine how great it would be to cuddle up with a bowlful on a chilly night. (via Cooking With Siri)
20. Harissa Sweet Potato Hash With Merguez Sausage and Eggs: Using flavor-packed merguez (which you can totallyDIY) and harissa means your ingredient list for this outstanding brunch dish is super short without being short on seasoning. (via Feasting at Home)
Which of these harissa-boosted recipes are you loving most? Any other favorite ways you’ve found to use it, or perhaps there’s a homemade version of the paste you think we should try? Let’s talk below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)