It’s pretty standard take your nail color into consideration when you’re choosing a lipstick shade you’re going to wear all night long. Pairing your lipstick color with your outfit is something that makes sense (you don’t want anything that majorly clashes), but there’s something about coordinating the color of your pout to your nail polish that’s so chic. Keep this overlooked style hack in mind — Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and you’re probably thinking up what your special date night look will be. Check out eight of our fave lip and nail shade pairings, perfect for any romantic occasion on your horizon.
1. Essie Nail Polish in Find Me an Oasis ($9) + Clinique Chubby Stick Lip Color Balm in Grandest Grape ($17): Cool down your warm, velvety plum lip with a nail color worthy of a snow queen. This gorgeous ice blue and grape-y purple are a moody match made in heaven.
2. RMS Beauty Nail Polish in Luminizer ($15) + NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl ($26): Add a hint of frost to a red hot lip by sporting a more luminous, opal mani with your dramatic pout. Think you can’t rock a blood-red lip? Luckily, there’s a fiery pigment for every skin tone.
3. Kure Bazaar Nail Polish in Platinum ($16) + Bite Beauty Lip Lab Crème Deluxe Lipstick in Shade 010 Boysenberry ($36): Platinum and violet are on-trend for 2016, especially during this cooler weather. They’ll add drama to the dark clothes you cling to in the winter or pop against that red color palette you might whip out for Vday.
4. Jennifer Fisher Jewelry x RGB Cosmetics in Momma ($18) + NYX Cosmetics Lipstick in Baby Pink ($4): Add a bit of sophistication to bubble-gum pink by contrasting it with a sleek-and-chic dark navy mani.
5. Butter London Nail Lacquer in British Racing Green ($15) + Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution in Birkin Brown ($32): We’ve already established brown lipstick as the most versatile item in your makeup arsenal, so teaming it with a more quirky nail color is the way to go. Emerald green might not be the first shade that comes to mind for the holiday of love, but when paired with this neutral lip, you’ll be looking totally glam and mysterious.
6. Smith and Cult Nail Polish in Shattered Souls ($18) + Butter London Trout Pout Bloody Brilliant Lip Crayon ($20): Forget silver and gold! Add a punch of color to your look with metallics for a totally striking Valentine’s Day ensemble. Gold flakes bring winter glam to a summer-y coral lip, making you a master of clashing seasonal pairings.
7. LCN Nail Polish in Soft Daisy ($8) + Buxom Big & Sexy Bold Gel Lipstick ($22): Upon first look, these two shades couldn’t be more different in feel, yet they play off each other in the most playful way. Pastel yellow provides a very of-the-moment subtlety to your digits, while the a bright magenta lipstick paints a pucker that’s perfect for Valentine’s wooing.
8. OPI Hello Kitty Nail Lacquer in 5 Apples Tall ($10) + Tom Ford Lip Color in Sable Smoke ($52): Candy apple red definitely brings its fair share of drama to any manicure. Match it with a more subdued but totally modern smokey pout for a cool girl vibe on V-Day.
Let us know your favorite combo by tweeting us @BritandCo!