10 Velvet Party Dresses for Cold Nights Out
Temps may be dropping, but that doesn’t mean dress season is over. (Some would say it’s only just begun.) There are plenty of pretty frocks suitable for chilly weather. Our favorite option? Velvet. The textured trend with staying power is going just as strong as ever this season, and is ideal for party dressing when it’s cold outside. In addition to keeping you feeling toasty, there’s just something decadent about this luxurious fabric. A simple addition of tights or boots (and maybe a moto jacket or wooly coat) to any of our perfectly plush picks below, and you’ll instantly be ready to bring on the heat.
1. Leha Velvet Slip Dress ($260): Mixed textures and shades make for a standout slip. Wear this one on its own with heels or try a wispy layering turtleneck underneath and add high boots.
2. Misa Los Angeles Corrine Dress ($277): Speaking of high boots, this perfectly plum piece makes the ideal partner for your favorite over-the-knee options. With ruffles and braiding, it’s the winterized way to channel your inner boho babe.
3. Topshop Print Velvet Midi Dress ($95): Florals for winter? Heck, yes. Break up the standard cold-weather monotony in a paneled frock with lace insets.
4. Miss Selfridge Lilac Velvet Midi Skater Dress ($76): Looking to flip the script? Opt for a pretty pastel option rather than the typical holiday jewel tones.
5. The Kooples Circus Crushed Velvet Slip Dress ($275): Red tartan is more versatile than you might think. Sure, at first glance it screams holiday season, but add accessories like black leather and studs and the look becomes instantly edgy — and wearable long after New Year’s.
6. & Other Stories Sparkling Velour Dress ($65): We dig the retro ’80s vibe of this glittery mini dress (there are shoulder pads, y’all!). Just add big earrings and bigger hair and you’ll be ready to flashdance the night away.
7. ASOS Velvet Wrap Bardot Pleated Midi Dress ($72): Pleats, please! Show a little shoulder and keep warm everywhere else in this rich blue beauty.
8. Zara Velvet Dress ($50): Rich floral print? Check. Ultra-flattering wrap silhouette? Double check.
9. Oasis Velvet Bardot Pencil Dress ($98): Whittle your middle in a super sexy sheath with lacy waist insets. Bonus? The deep eggplant shade works on everyone.
10. Rhode Resort Jay Dress ($435): Stunting at your S.O’s holiday office party looks a little something like this. Rich, burgundy velvet paired with an oh-so-subtly sexy neckline is exactly what you need this season.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.