20 Alternative Dresses to Wear to Your Wedding Reception
Let’s face it. The so-perfect, have-to-have-it, THE ONE dress is breathtaking when you walk down the aisle, but not so much when you’re trying to get down after the ceremony. That’s when the reception dress comes to the rescue. Everyone from Kim Kardashian to your cousin is doing the post-“I Do” switch up from gown to after party attire, and even though it’s your number two, that doesn’t mean all eyes still can’t be on you all night. Whether you’re looking for something little and lacy, flowy and chic or as majorly embellished as that ring finger of yours, these 20 LWD (Little White Dresses) will make for the most glamorous costume change ever.
1. ASOS Premium Lace Bodysuit Dress ($86): A sheer lace overlay takes this long sleeve midi dress to the next level. You’re seeing that right: its underlay is a bodysuit. Ooh la la!
2. Limited Edition Loop Bead Layer Dress ($320): Chandelier beads sparkle off of the top of this glam ‘60s-inspired layer dress. Why not have some fun and change up your hairdo to match this retro chic style?
3. VLabel London Carnaby Dress With Wrap Detail Skirt ($119): The fashion-forward folds on this mini dress make it feel like haute origami, while thick double straps add a romantic touch.
4. ASOS Curve Cami Dress With Lace Layers ($77): Delicate lace edges fall perfectly around the waistline of this layered dress. It’s a simple silhouette that’s perfect for a natural bride.
5. Effervescence Dress ($188): You knew polka dots were cute, but did you know they could look so glamorous? As flittering embellishments on this A-line dress, they have the ability to floor just about anyone in sight.
6. Vero Moda Double Tier Cami Dress ($67): Get an effortlessly elegant look with this flowy tier cami dress. Just imagine how that high-low skirt will move on the dance floor!
7. Embellished A-Line Dress ($100): Clusters of bold beads are the perfect embellishments on this silky A-line number. It’s a sophisticated way to amp up the sparkle.
8. Gold Sequin Strapless Tulle Party Dress ($340): You’re gonna want to twirl the night away the second you slip into this jaw-dropping number. With a gold sequin bodice and a full tulle skirt, the question is: Will you ever want to take it off?
9. ASOS Embellished Skater Dress ($182): We love how intricate embellishments like beading and 3D appliques look so unfussy when added to a flirty skater skirt. Subtle cutouts along the neckline help to keep the look fresh, too.
10. ASOS Curve Exclusive Swing Dress in Baroque ($77): Dresses don’t get much dreamier than this. A graphic lace overlay and a sweetheart-style underlay combine to create a dress that’s simply romantic.
11. Pleated Overlay Midi Dress ($96): We’re totally enamoured with this reception dress: its classic cut, those girly pleats, THAT sheer cape!
12. Carmella Renata Dress ($382): You know you’re an elegant bombshell, so prove it in this stunning silk dress. Style it with an #Iwokeuplikethis hairdo and luminescent makeup to keep the look wedding-worthy.
13. Palido Mesh Dress ($189): Mesh panels create an intricate pattern unlike any fabric we’ve ever seen. The nude color underlay keeps this cocktail dress classy, though know that in this number, people will stare!
14. Candela Bow Dress ($575): How perfectly romantic is this relaxed shift dress? It’s darling enough from the front, but that oversized bow on the base of the scoop neck makes it irresistible (Pinned!).
15. Club Monaco Irena Dress ($199): Oversized ruffle sleeves add a playful touch to this crepe mini dress that feel oh-so light and airy. It’s perfect for warm weather weddings!
16. Kate Spade New York Madison Avenue Mila Dress ($598): A dress for the bride who doesn’t mind a bright pop of color. Stand out with a bright band of pink around the bottom of this sweet fit-and-flare frock.
17. Shawl Dress ($365): Skip the A-line — this shawl dress is a lovely nontraditional take on reception wear. Its minimalist style is sure to please brides with ultra modern tastes.
19. Alice + Olivia Nelly Puff Sleeve Dress ($396): This dress is a stunner from every angle, from its champagne sheen to its cap sleeves and its deep-V back. Love it? We do! :)
20. ASOS Amazing Embellished Shift Dress ($215): We can’t get enough of this all-over sequined shift dress. Three shades of shimmer and 3D flower embellishments arranged in a swoon-worthy Art Deco-inspired pattern — it just might be the number two that’s number one!
What LWDs do you have your eye on for your very own epic costume change? Tell us about which reception dresses you’d slip into in the comments below.
Social media is an amazing free marketing tool that didn't exist 15 years ago. Particularly with Instagram, you can use a few images and words to tell followers who you are in an instant. While we can't share *all* the things we covered in this week's Selfmade master session on social media and brand voice, as part of our collaboration with Office Depot we're sharing a few key takeaways.