Beyond Butternut: 30 Winter Squash Recipes
Cooking in the winter has its challenges, like uninspiring produce shelves at the grocery store and slim pickins at the farmers market. Something that’s guaranteed to be part of this season’s bounty? Squash. There are endless varieties (acorn, butternut, spaghetti, delicata, hubbard, turban) and even more ways to prepare it. Below are 30 mouthwateringly delicious recipes you must try this season. And when you’re done with that, don’t forget about dessert.
9. Roasted Hubbard Squash Soup with Hazelnuts & Chives: This recipe elevates the traditional squash soup to a whole new level — one with added crunch. (via Fine Cooking)
11. Fried Cornmeal Shrimp with Butternut Squash Risotto: You may have to hit the gym after devouring a bowl of this stuff, but it’s worth it. (via Bon Appetit)
13. Squash and Root Vegetable Slaw: The lightest squash recipe of the bunch, this slaw incorporates winter’s freshest veggies into one healthful bite, side dish, or sandwich topping — however you prefer. (via Bon Appetit)
19. Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Parmigiano-Reggiano Recipe: A cheesy spaghetti that’s more forgiving in the calorie and fat department. (via Chow)
23. Delicata Squash with Caramelized Shallots & Sherry: A light (or shall we say delicate?) and flavorful preparation. (via Fine Cooking)
24. Roasted Squash with Mint and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds: Add crunch and a refreshing spice to your next squash dish. (via Bon Appetit)
What’s your favorite type of winter squash? And how do you prepare it? Tell us in the comments below.